Is a 4gb slim worth it and does a external hard drive increase the size

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hardyz200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hardyz200
Member since 2010 • 543 Posts

hi im maybe buying a new xbox 360 slim and wondering will i still be banned like on my previous xbox 360 and is this worth it just for online and does a external hard drive increase the size because of got a spare external hard drive which i dont really need

thx much:D

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#2 Eternal-Entity
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

hi im maybe buying a new xbox 360 slim and wondering will i still be banned like on my previous xbox 360 and is this worth it just for online and does a external hard drive increase the size because of got a spare external hard drive which i dont really need

hardyz200

Well, you cannot really be banned on an Xbox 360. You can be banned on Xbox Live. So if you want to play offline games, you will be able to play them. If your Xbox Live got banned, then you will need to create a new profile or figure out when or how to get unbanned (contact Microsoft support or even the Xbox Twitter). An external harddrive (from the old Xbox 360s) does work on it, but you will need to always keep the wire plugged in (by wire, I mean the transfer cable). I would recommend you get the new transfer wire (black one), that lets you connect an internal harddrive and an external harddrive to it, just in case you need to transfer stuff to and from an internal harddrive if you get one in the future (both transfer cables are the same price, so why not?) But yea, connect the transfer cable to one of the many USB slots on the Xbox 360 Slim, and connect your external harddrive to the wire, and tadaa, you have a type of memory unit. You will be able to save your games to that harddrive and move stuff from that harddrive to your internal 4 GB memory unit if you want.

P.S: Just make sure that you get the slim that has a "slot" for an internal harddrive though. Some of them do not (manufacturer defect or purposely made that way...not sure). Because the Slim that I have now (after getting ebgames to replace it for me) has a slot for an internal harddrive, and it has an extra 4GB memory unit.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the run on sentences or bad English. I think faster than I type (though I do type pretty fast too).

Enjae_Reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Enjae_Reaper
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="hardyz200"]

Eternal-Entity

Well, you cannot really be banned on an Xbox 360. You can be banned on Xbox Live. So if you want to play offline games, you will be able to play them. If your Xbox Live got banned, then you will need to create a new profile or figure out when or how to get unbanned (contact Microsoft support or even the Xbox Twitter). An external harddrive (from the old Xbox 360s) does work on it, but you will need to always keep the wire plugged in (by wire, I mean the transfer cable). I would recommend you get the new transfer wire (black one), that lets you connect an internal harddrive and an external harddrive to it, just in case you need to transfer stuff to and from an internal harddrive if you get one in the future (both transfer cables are the same price, so why not?) But yea, connect the transfer cable to one of the many USB slots on the Xbox 360 Slim, and connect your external harddrive to the wire, and tadaa, you have a type of memory unit. You will be able to save your games to that harddrive and move stuff from that harddrive to your internal 4 GB memory unit if you want.

P.S: Just make sure that you get the slim that has a "slot" for an internal harddrive though. Some of them do not (manufacturer defect or purposely made that way...not sure). Because the Slim that I have now (after getting ebgames to replace it for me) has a slot for an internal harddrive, and it has an extra 4GB memory unit.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the run on sentences or bad English. I think faster than I type (though I do type pretty fast too).

That was very well put

Demonfail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Demonfail
Member since 2012 • 233 Posts

I honestly think that Eternal may be one of the most useful users on this forum.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

Get it if u know for sure u'll be playing online, otherwise its not really worth it.

As for the external hard drive, I wouldn't get the transfer wire. You can easily open up the external HDD and put it into your new slim 360 (all you need is the right screwdriver, check youtube on videos how to do it, very simple). Using your HDD this way is faster than using the transfer wire, i.e. if u decide to install games onto the HDD, it will load faster.

Also i should note, this is only worth doing if the external HDD is a 360 HDD, you can't use any random external HDD to install games on i believe.

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eternal-Entity

I honestly think that Eternal may be one of the most useful users on this forum.

Demonfail

:D Thank you.

Get it if u know for sure u'll be playing online, otherwise its not really worth it.

As for the external hard drive, I wouldn't get the transfer wire. You can easily open up the external HDD and put it into your new slim 360 (all you need is the right screwdriver, check youtube on videos how to do it, very simple). Using your HDD this way is faster than using the transfer wire, i.e. if u decide to install games onto the HDD, it will load faster.

Also i should note, this is only worth doing if the external HDD is a 360 HDD, you can't use any random external HDD to install games on i believe.

halokillerz

Well, you "can" do that (open up the harddrive), but not only does it void the warranty, but it is a major waste. EBGames usually accepts 60GB Harddrives (the RAREST ones now), for around $30-$60. That is a LOT of money for such an old harddrive model. They also accept the 20GB and other ones, but 20 GB is worth around $5 I believe. I do not know the prices of the others (it depends on the manager and which store you enter).

Check the price of a new 320 GB harddrive with a free game (a game that lets you use cheats and still get achievements, so free 1000 gamerscore if you spend the time, and it is really fun, especially if you have an 8 year old little brother who watches you with puppy dog eyes when you play on the Xbox 360).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/xbox-360-hard-drives-and-memory/23564.aspx?path=91deb9b8d75851783bd1125322e0f12een01

$149.99 - $30.00 = $119.99 (I went with the lowest value of the old harddrive, EBGames accepted my 60GB Harddrive for $60 last year).

"wow people give some bad answers on here.

The Answer is Yes AND No.

No: 3rd party hard drives do not work directly with your 360. You cannot save or run game data off of it.

Yes: You CAN however plug in a 3rd party Hard drive via USB and run media off of it. Pictures, mp3s, WMVs and MP4s(with download patch).

So it all depends what your REALLY asking. If you just want all your good media to play through your 360, itll work. If your lookign to use it for game saves and content, it wont.

hope this helps."

Source for the above quote: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081103062141AAKlwNH

Yes, so the normal external harddrive that is usually used with Windows Servers and a PC will not work with the Xbox 360, even though they are both Microsoft, because the harddrive maker is not Microsoft, and the compatibility is not the same. I forgot to explain why only a Xbox 360 harddrive would work, and I also assumed that you had an Xbox 360 harddrive from your old Xbox 360.

Now, if you really want to open your harddrive, this is one of the best tutorials for how to go about doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qV3EiuaHI

But, if you look at the video on the time: 5:18 - 5:40, you can see how fragile the harddrive looks. If any part of that malfunctions, or even just melts or falls off into the Slim, you will void your warranty I believe (unless you somehow manage to remove all evidence of a non Microsoft, non altered, harddrive being installed in there). Yes, if you mess with a harddrive that you got with an Xbox, it does not void the warranty for that Xbox, because you did not "do" anything to the Xbox. But if you put a harddrive that you messed around with into another Xbox, it voids the warranty for that Xbox that interacted with the altered harddrive. For me, a person who got his slim for $8 and did not purchase a warranty, that is not a big deal. But since you are obviously looking to save money (I assume this because you want to somehow use an old harddrive), I would suggest not doing this. But your choice. There are easy ways to fix your Xbox 360 and I am sure someone on these forums will aid you if you do damage it.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 halokillerz

It's not that fragile, don't be paranoid. You really can't mess it up unless you bang it around or something.

You can spend $100+ or spend nothing.

I have my 60 GB HDD in my 4GB model, and it works totally fine. Didn't even have to transfer stuff.

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Eternal-Entity

It's not that fragile, don't be paranoid. You really can't mess it up unless you bang it around or something.

I have my 60 GB HDD in my 4GB model, and it works totally fine. Didn't even have to transfer stuff.

halokillerz

Alright, I will take your word on it then.

By the way, if you do not mind answering, I would like to ask you: are you able to put the lid back on to the hard drive bay on the Xbox 360 Slim (the black ventilator shaped lid) when you put this in? I can see that it is almost the same size as the internal harddrive, but it looks slightly longer for some reason (probably because he holds it at an angle).

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 halokillerz

[QUOTE="halokillerz"]

Eternal-Entity

By the way, if you do not mind answering, I would like to ask you: are you able to put the lid back on to the hard drive bay on the Xbox 360 Slim (the black ventilator shaped lid) when you put this in? I can see that it is almost the same size as the internal harddrive, but it looks slightly longer for some reason (probably because he holds it at an angle).

Yeah, it fits in perfectly

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

no

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Eternal-Entity

[QUOTE="Eternal-Entity"]

[QUOTE="halokillerz"]

halokillerz

Yeah, it fits in perfectly

Oh okay. Thank you for answering. :D

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eternal-Entity

no

Plagueless

Lol, what? That was probably the most ambigous response that I have ever seen.

hardyz200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 hardyz200
Member since 2010 • 543 Posts

so guys what im asking is can i just simply hook my USB External Hardrive to the usb port and give me extra 16gb

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Eternal-Entity

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive#e49947bea8ca4884b2c4798ba8420c02

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/storage

Read the top page, then the bottom page if you have more questions.

Yes you can configure almost any USB Flash drive to become a storage device for the Xbox 360 consoles.