Is a 12 month of xbox live worth it at $45 for these games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bluski (322 posts) -

So this year I've been going solo playing single player games only. I'm thinking of getting a 12 month for $45 from Target. I have these games that I got for single player but also have an online portion which are ME3, Borderlands 1 (general knoxx too hard on solo), and Far Cry 3 which I haven't gotten a chance to play online. I also have Gears 3, Reach, MW2 that I'll play also. Are these games worth paying for online? I'm not interested in Blops 2 but I might get Halo 4 which is also on sale for $40. How does Far Cry 3 multiplayer hold on it's own? I think of Gears as a single player game but I had a blast with the multiplayer. Is Far Cry 3 the same? I'll also get Gta V which will have online also.

I play a lot of Skyrim so I guess I can balance it out by playing single player if I get bored of online for a while. But this just means I'll be spending more time online since the xbox live timer goes down by the day. Which is why I have been a silver member because I don't like how your basically paying xbox live for a week when your out on vacation. This will also be my return to online but my last year of paying for xbox live since PS4 is speculated to release next year during the holidays which I'll be transfering over too. So if I get Halo 4 it will be my last Halo since I don't care about gears judgement either or any other exclusives. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I usually don't type this much.

TL;DR is it worth paying 12 months of gold for playing online on these games? - ME3, Borderlands 1, Far Cry 3, Gears 3, MW2, Reach, and maybe Halo 4.

#2 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

So this year I've been going solo playing single player games only. I'm thinking of getting a 12 month for $45 from Target. I have these games that I got for single player but also have an online portion which are ME3, Borderlands 1 (general knoxx too hard on solo), and Far Cry 3 which I haven't gotten a chance to play online. I also have Gears 3, Reach, MW2 that I'll play also. Are these games worth paying for online? I'm not interested in Blops 2 but I might get Halo 4 which is also on sale for $40. How does Far Cry 3 multiplayer hold on it's own? I think of Gears as a single player game but I had a blast with the multiplayer. Is Far Cry 3 the same? I'll also get Gta V which will have online also.

I play a lot of Skyrim so I guess I can balance it out by playing single player if I get bored of online for a while. But this just means I'll be spending more time online since the xbox live timer goes down by the day. Which is why I have been a silver member because I don't like how your basically paying xbox live for a week when your out on vacation. This will also be my return to online but my last year of paying for xbox live since PS4 is speculated to release next year during the holidays which I'll be transfering over too. So if I get Halo 4 it will be my last Halo since I don't care about gears judgement either or any other exclusives. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I usually don't type this much.

TL;DR is it worth paying 12 months of gold for playing online on these games? - ME3, Borderlands 1, Far Cry 3, Gears 3, MW2, Reach, and maybe Halo 4.

Bluski

Honestly, It depends. Mass Effect 3 I'd say the online is alright but certainly nothing special, and really the singleplayer is where it's at. Borderlands 1 probably wouldn't be worth it either as unless you wanted to play online with other friends, there would be no point to the multiplayer (as most of the community has moved onto Borderlands 2). I can't speak for Far Cry 3's multiplayer, but I've heard it's rather forgettable. Gears 3 I haven't played either so I can't say.

MW2, Reach, and Halo 4 are all games heavily based on multiplayer. I actually wouldn't even recommend any of these games just for singleplayer play alone.

So to briefly restate whether the multiplayer is worth it in these games:

-Mass Effect 3: No

-Borderlands: No

-Far Cry 3: No

-Gears 3: Probably yes

-Modern Warfare 2: Yes (although I would HIGHLY recommend Black Ops 2 over this)

-Reach: Yes

-Halo 4: Definitely yes

Honestly yeah it kind of sucks having to pay for multiplayer but really the price isn't all that bad. I don't feel like I need to play online all the time just because I have a subscription, $60 gets you a year's worth subscription which roughly equates to 16 cents per day. So even if you went on a long vacation it wouldn't be all that much.

#3 Posted by Bluski (322 posts) -
Thanks, your reply helped a lot. I guess paying for gold isn't too bad, and I might get Halo 4 too and go back to other games for single player stuff any time.
#4 Posted by psdsoldier25 (242 posts) -

Honestly i think it comes down to what kind of gamer you are and not so much about what games you have. I love XBox live, multiplayer and co-op games. So i always make sure my LIVE account is good to go. Now i know some players strictly enjoy single player games and they refuse to get involved with the multiplayer aspect. If you enjoy both aspects of the game equally i would say keep membership gold. If not then why waste the money when you could basically buy another game every year.....

#5 Posted by destinhpark (4756 posts) -

Yes. Worth it.

#6 Posted by Nintatterdemon (69 posts) -
I'd say yes.
#7 Posted by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

Bluski

lol, ME3, Borderlands 1, Far Cry 3 & MW2 would have been free if you had them on ps3. But Gears of War is a great game, never played Halo 4. But I would think that the majority of people are either playing Halo 4 or Black Ops 2.