Is 500gb enough?

#1 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

Thinking of getting either the white sunset overdrive bundle or the 1TB cod bundle. The white one looks nicer but is 500gb enough?

#2 Edited by XxAK47xX (4723 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: i got the xbox at launch and im almost full. i have like 50 GB left

#3 Posted by HkRay (16 posts) -

Modern games are running what, 40 GB? Thats about a dozen games on a 500 GB Hard Drive. It all depends on you and your gaming habits. Do you run 12 games on your systems or do you delete games as you add new games to your collection? This doesn't take in account for memory used for updates or patches which shouldn't take up too much room but I don't know.

#4 Edited by skipper847 (3337 posts) -

I dont no how these hard drives work. I have a external western digital 500GB for PC and its usb3.0 but will it work on Xbox one or PS4?.

#5 Posted by tdavis20050 (351 posts) -

No, got a 3tb external as soon as the preview update had the external support.

#6 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6219 posts) -

If you're the type that keeps most of your games, then it won't be enough. Just get an external HDD. It's easy.

#7 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

@XxAK47xX said:

@ps4hasnogames: i got the xbox at launch and im almost full. i have like 50 GB left

how many games do you have on it?

@hkray said:

Modern games are running what, 40 GB? Thats about a dozen games on a 500 GB Hard Drive. It all depends on you and your gaming habits. Do you run 12 games on your systems or do you delete games as you add new games to your collection? This doesn't take in account for memory used for updates or patches which shouldn't take up too much room but I don't know.

I'm the type to get a game, beat it and sell it, with sports games I just get them usually every year.

#8 Posted by Jumbo120788 (14938 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: No I have 36 games it hasnt been enough for a long time. I had to buy a 1tb hd on top of the one thats internal.

#9 Posted by raugutcon (409 posts) -

In my honest opinion, no, 500 GB is not enough.

#10 Edited by SolidTy (43773 posts) -

500GB was never enough, I knew this two years ago before the machine launched. It was obvious due to the move from DVD (9GB) to Blu-Ray (50GB). I posted about it trying to explain 50GB x 10 games = 500GB. I'm thankful for 30GB games knowing that give a bit more space, but overall we won't be holding too much. I'm already at 30% and I only use my Xbone for exclusives. I buy multiplats everywhere else.

They will release 1TB systems and beyond in the future though. They already have a 1TB Xbone on the way this year.

#11 Posted by HkRay (16 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@XxAK47xX said:

@ps4hasnogames: i got the xbox at launch and im almost full. i have like 50 GB left

how many games do you have on it?

@hkray said:

Modern games are running what, 40 GB? Thats about a dozen games on a 500 GB Hard Drive. It all depends on you and your gaming habits. Do you run 12 games on your systems or do you delete games as you add new games to your collection? This doesn't take in account for memory used for updates or patches which shouldn't take up too much room but I don't know.

I'm the type to get a game, beat it and sell it, with sports games I just get them usually every year.

I'm about the same way my self, so 500 GB is sufficient for me. Now if things change, I start keeping and installing more games, than I'll want to upgrade/update to a 1T or larger system/HD.

#12 Posted by Megavideogamer (5440 posts) -

No is not enough for me. I have PS4 and only have 7GB remaining on my HDD. I have 13 retail games and all of the monthly free throw ins. Since Xbox one also has 500GB HDD. I will fill that up in no time. I have almost finished saving up for the Xbox one. $460.00 for the console and the Master Chief collection. Which is the one game that finally inspired me to get Xbox one. Plus the Halo 5 beta sealed the deal.

500GB will be gone in 1 year. or less. I keep my games for my system. I have been thinking about the Sunset overdrive 1TB Xbox system. Mandatory game data stalls really eat into HDD space.

#13 Posted by BusterFriendly (100 posts) -

It doesn't take very long to download a game so I just delete the ones I'm not playing right now. I can see adding an external unit to get a high performance with a couple drives and a memory cache. Now if they ever enable using it as a TV DVR then I'll go with something big.

#14 Posted by tmorri603 (384 posts) -

You will need more space that 500 GB because the Blu-ray drive will have mandatory downloads to the HDD. The good thing is it is very easy to install an external HDD. The main thing is what game do you like most? Personally, I would go for the Sunset Overdrive bundle. If you like it more, too. You can use the extra $100 to get a nice size external HDD.

#15 Posted by samikaz (13 posts) -

That's exactly what I was afraid of. Any type of External HD is working? it's plug and play or need to play a bit to make it work? No way to put it in the one ?

#16 Posted by sukraj (23040 posts) -

After I'm done with a game I usually delete it from my hardrive so 500gb is more than enough for me.

#17 Posted by sukraj (23040 posts) -

After I'm done with a game I usually delete it from my hardrive so 500gb is more than enough for me.

#18 Posted by jsmoke03 (12923 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

Thinking of getting either the white sunset overdrive bundle or the 1TB cod bundle. The white one looks nicer but is 500gb enough?

nope....i dont even think 1tb is enough to last the whole gen. At least you can do external hdd's

#19 Posted by wwervin (10257 posts) -

Plug in a large external HDD and move files over there you're not currently using like old games and videos/music etc. Moving large files from hard drive to hard drive doesn't take nearly as long as installing games, so do it that way.

#20 Posted by CrimsonTriden7 (46 posts) -

External HDD is the way to go.

#21 Posted by XxAK47xX (4723 posts) -

@skipper847: update: my drive has 5 percent left

#22 Posted by BattleSpectre (6227 posts) -

If you delete your games off of your hard drive when you're finished with them, you should be ok. But honestly no, 500GB is not enough, considering some games can be upwards of 50GB to download.

#23 Posted by Jumbo120788 (14938 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: Depends if you buy a lot of games, I have 36 so no it hasn't been enough for quite some time. If you run out of space delete games and reinstall if you don't have bandwidth restrictions. Otherwise get a hard drive. I added a 1tb drive so I have enough space for now but its filling up fast too.