If you change your gamertag, can someone else get your old name?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Amaretto_ (21 posts) -

Wellz?

#2 Posted by kintzer (806 posts) -
Good question.  I'd like to know that, too.  Anyone?  Bueller?
#3 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -
My understanding is no.  I think you need to sign in with some sort of code don't you?
#4 Posted by bobbysox0070 (769 posts) -
yes if you change your name some else can get your old gamertag, however if you create a silver account no one can use that gamertag so in retrospect you could change your name and create a silver account using your old name so that no one would use it
#5 Posted by S1L3NT-K1LL (11 posts) -
Yes. If someone has the name (example) Barney the flying hippy, and he changed his name and you wanted it, then yes, you can change your name to that if you wanted. Whenever you change your gamercard, it's almost as if your original name was never created, so it's up for grabs if someone wanted it.
#6 Posted by Archerboy106 (4 posts) -

are we 100% sure on this? because i made my gamer tag online using the name i ussually go by. but i didnt hit creat gamer tag on my xbox under my profile so i just made a new silver account using the name i wanted. that means that it has no gamer score or anything. if i paid to change the name to something else, can i take the name i want and hit creat gamer tag from my profile on the xbox360 using the original name i wnated?

please help!!!!

#7 Posted by Duckynevada (195 posts) -
ya your old name can be taken I made a silver acc with my old friends name
#8 Posted by Bzlll (41 posts) -
I don't think so.
#9 Posted by Aaron89 (3377 posts) -
I believe you can. But from what I've seen, there's no way 'you' can delete a Gamertag, it has to be on Microsoft's server. Although I can't remember the specific amount of time, I think it has to remain unactive for about 6 months (or one year?) and then it gets permanently deleted - thus, making it available for others.
#10 Posted by Archerboy106 (4 posts) -
no i got it to work. as soon as the name you want changes, you can take it.
#11 Posted by Czenkus (667 posts) -
My older brother had his first gamertag taken, Hollowpoint was his name from live launch, since changed and I seen someone with it the other day i swears
#12 Posted by 69ANT69 (8474 posts) -
I'm actually not sure.
#13 Posted by Strife88 (6073 posts) -
Yeah someone else can take it. I remember this real good sniper from Gears, he changed his name and the next day someone already took it claiming he was that guy.
#14 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

I believe you can. But from what I've seen, there's no way 'you' can delete a Gamertag, it has to be on Microsoft's server. Although I can't remember the specific amount of time, I think it has to remain unactive for about 6 months (or one year?) and then it gets permanently deleted - thus, making it available for others.Aaron89

Sadly I don't think there is any time period after which MS release unused gamertags, since not everyone is always connected to the internet, and some are still not linked to a 360, so are original xbox gamertags.

There is currently no way for us to delete a gamertag, though changing it to another name should free up the old one