I'm having a love/hate relationship with my xbox one

This topic is locked from further discussion.

swimbearuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 swimbearuk
Member since 2007 • 1248 Posts

I love having the new machine to play with, I love how quiet it is, I love the way the games look, I love Kinect when it understands me.

I hate Kinect when it doesn't respond, I hate that my TV resolution is downgraded from 1080i to 720p, I hate that the two games I own (FIFA 14 and Battlefield 4) have bugs which should have been fixed before release, I hate that running the TV through the xbox one isn't as reliable as I'd hoped for and is not very useful, I hate that I had to buy an extension cable for my play and charge kit because the one supplied is too short.

That may seem a bit one-sided, but I really do still like my xbox one despite its flaws. I've hardly touched my PS3 or my xbox 360 since I received it. I just hope that they patch some of the issues in the near future.

NB: The bugs in FIFA are: goalkeeper not taking a goal kick so match had to be aborted, be a pro camera breaking and following the ball instead of my player (required a reset of the console), using "sim rest of match" option goes back to the career screen instead of showing the result. The bugs in Battlefield 4 are: sound effects switching off for extended periods during online matches, game crashing regularly during matchmaking, campaign mode not saving at checkpoints correctly, the text for resuming the game in campaign is the "Restart Mission" text until you press down then up and it switches to the "Resume" text.

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

Dang I would like to have owned one, but I chose not to buy it.

I made the right choice, and now I don't regret my decision at all.

Everything will be sorted soon mate, M$ doesn't have a choice.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

It is a new system. It is going to take some time to get things running smoothly. Lets hope MS can even get the system up to the levels they promised.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

Does the HDMI input not support 1080p? I have my Apple TV hooked up to it and it looks just as good as usual.

bumsonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 bumsonfire
Member since 2013 • 250 Posts

ahh these are little things, your being a little picky mate. Think about all of the good things the Xbox has to offer. and you don't need a charge and play kit, just use normal batterys :p

swimbearuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By swimbearuk

@mynamesdenvrmax: Yes, the input supports 1080p, but my TV is either 1080i or 720p, and the xbox one only does 1080p or 720p, so no 1080i support. I don't believe that 1080i looks as bad as people say it does, as it looked great in F1 2013 on xbox 360.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

1080i looks pretty bad to be honest. You're just saying one game looked good but did you try any others? Anyways it's still early days so there's a lot of work to be done and at least your Xbox One is working (imagine if it bricked).

So far I'm loving my Xbox One but I don't like how every game (even disc-based) downloads straight onto your hard drive. I'm over my internet usage at the moment so trying to download or install any game at the moment won't be possible (unless I want to wait a few days until it's done). I also finished Dead Rising 3 today. It was decent for what it was but I probably wouldn't spend full price on the game if I had too.

swimbearuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 swimbearuk

@BattleSpectre said:

So far I'm loving my Xbox One but I don't like how every game (even disc-based) downloads straight onto your hard drive. I'm over my internet usage at the moment so trying to download or install any game at the moment won't be possible (unless I want to wait a few days until it's done).

If you have an internet cap, then it's best to stick to the disc based games. They are copied to your hard drive, but any updates are downloaded from the internet, which can still be a fairly big download.

I'm lucky this month that the internet usage is not working on my ISP's webpage, so I'm not being charged for any additional data.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleSpectre

@swimbearuk said:

@BattleSpectre said:

So far I'm loving my Xbox One but I don't like how every game (even disc-based) downloads straight onto your hard drive. I'm over my internet usage at the moment so trying to download or install any game at the moment won't be possible (unless I want to wait a few days until it's done).

If you have an internet cap, then it's best to stick to the disc based games. They are copied to your hard drive, but any updates are downloaded from the internet, which can still be a fairly big download.

I'm lucky this month that the internet usage is not working on my ISP's webpage, so I'm not being charged for any additional data.

Oh that's wonderful news! So you mean disc-based games aren't downloaded from the internet too? Because I heard both digital and disc-based games are this generation. If not that's awesome and yes I am sticking to disc-based games like I always have.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#10 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

@swimbearuk said:

@mynamesdenvrmax: Yes, the input supports 1080p, but my TV is either 1080i or 720p, and the xbox one only does 1080p or 720p, so no 1080i support. I don't believe that 1080i looks as bad as people say it does, as it looked great in F1 2013 on xbox 360.

You're right, 1080i doesn't looks bad at all. Both CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i and they look amazing.

swimbearuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 swimbearuk

@BattleSpectre:

@BattleSpectre said:

@swimbearuk said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Oh that's wonderful news! So you mean disc-based games aren't downloaded from the internet too? Because I heard both digital and disc-based games are this generation. If not that's awesome and yes I am sticking to disc-based games like I always have.

I believe the initial install process takes place from the blu-ray disc to the hard drive, then any updates that are required are downloaded from the internet. It's just all games need to be installed, as they cannot be played from the blu-ray disc. Unless they do some massive code changes, the update downloads should be manageable.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@swimbearuk said:

I love having the new machine to play with, I love how quiet it is, I love the way the games look, I love Kinect when it understands me.

I hate Kinect when it doesn't respond, I hate that my TV resolution is downgraded from 1080i to 720p, I hate that the two games I own (FIFA 14 and Battlefield 4) have bugs which should have been fixed before release, I hate that running the TV through the xbox one isn't as reliable as I'd hoped for and is not very useful, I hate that I had to buy an extension cable for my play and charge kit because the one supplied is too short.

That may seem a bit one-sided, but I really do still like my xbox one despite its flaws. I've hardly touched my PS3 or my xbox 360 since I received it. I just hope that they patch some of the issues in the near future.

NB: The bugs in FIFA are: goalkeeper not taking a goal kick so match had to be aborted, be a pro camera breaking and following the ball instead of my player (required a reset of the console), using "sim rest of match" option goes back to the career screen instead of showing the result. The bugs in Battlefield 4 are: sound effects switching off for extended periods during online matches, game crashing regularly during matchmaking, campaign mode not saving at checkpoints correctly, the text for resuming the game in campaign is the "Restart Mission" text until you press down then up and it switches to the "Resume" text.

I hear you about the cable box resolution issue, but 720p actually has more data on screen than 1080i... it's the way to go if your box doesn't support 1080p in my opinion.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I can't wait to play Dead Rising ive heard good things about the game.

redwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By redwin
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts

My only problem is attaching the cable box to the Xbox One. The picture freezes every few seconds while I'm watching T.V. I don't know how to fix it, I like the option of having the Xbox and the cable in the same imput.

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

Its a new console,there doesnt seem to be anything major wrong with it.Some time and a couple updates and everything will will smooth out.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BattleSpectre

@sukraj said:

I can't wait to play Dead Rising ive heard good things about the game.

I finished the game in 2 days. It's a pretty fun game but I also found it brutally hard, especially near the end of the game. To be honest I think it did deserve the 7.0 Gamespot gave it. But on the other hand I'm sure if you play it with a friend in co-op it'd be much more fun and I might have enjoyed it more.