I just realised that Xbox One is useless without servers.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BuldozerX
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts

Im in the army, so I just got my Xbox One shipped to me. Before she shipped it, I made sure that she installed the mandatory update.

But there are problems anyway. Games won`t install without a profile. You can`t create profiles offline like you could with the Xbox 360. Almost every game requires a profile to launch.. And than even the disc based games have a bunch of mandatory day one patches. Forza 5 won`t even launch unless I install a stupid 6 GB update. Ryse have a huge one as well. You can`t store your profile on USB as well.

Eventually I might get the console working, but I don`t know if I want to. This time I just feel like im paying for a service, and not something that I own. I paid a bunch of money for the console, and now im sitting here with Dead Rising, Ryse and Forza 5, and I cant even play them because of server connection issues.

So if you plan to invest a bunch of money in this console, be aware. You`ll be sitting there with a bunch of shiny coasters eventually.

Xbox One can never be used as a retro console when it dies in 10 years. What a shame.

angryguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 angryguy77
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

Dies in 10 years? You do realize that would mean MS had shut down it's server farms right?

Pretty sure you would have the same problem with a game on any console.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BuldozerX

Just like they shut down the first xbox, and will do the same thing to Xbox 360?

angryguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 angryguy77

@BuldozerX:

Avatar image for thenephariouson
thenephariouson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thenephariouson
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

The X1 was designed from the outset to be a 'Connected' console, if you require a simple console that simply plays disk based games and offers little top no flexability and that does not offer to embrace the future of gaming and digital mediums, then I can recommend a WiiU

urbansys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 urbansys
Member since 2003 • 235 Posts

Welcome to the 21st century? The PS4 has the same "problems". It is just the way tech has progressed.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

@BuldozerX: Sorry to hear it. Maybe you can contact some of these dev's to access an offline patch download? This has to be a wide spread problem and you would hope companies would listen. I know that at one point MS put the X1 "day one" update online and took it down saying that it's better to make it available through tech support channels. At the very least MS's answer to "why will you not let folks in the military use your console" would be post worthy and might even hit the media.

A search for "xbox one military" shows a lot of heat on this issue, including some MS assurances, back over the summer but not a lot since.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@BuldozerX: I have a Xbox One and I have to say it's a joke! It does require internet although they said no mandatory internet. Microsoft lied once again!

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BuldozerX

@jetjetjaguar said:

@BuldozerX: Sorry to hear it. Maybe you can contact some of these dev's to access an offline patch download? This has to be a wide spread problem and you would hope companies would listen. I know that at one point MS put the X1 "day one" update online and took it down saying that it's better to make it available through tech support channels. At the very least MS's answer to "why will you not let folks in the military use your console" would be post worthy and might even hit the media.

A search for "xbox one military" shows a lot of heat on this issue, including some MS assurances, back over the summer but not a lot since.

Thanks.

I got him a PS4 instead. You can play without the day one patch, and you can also create a profile without being online at all.

Tommi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Tommi88
Member since 2003 • 741 Posts

Troll thread!

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BuldozerX

@Tommi88 said:

Troll thread!

What is troll about this thread? It`s impossible to create a profile if you don`t have it connected, its that simple. Its just a brick. Every other console out there can do this offline. And no, I dont feel comfortable investing a huge amount of money in a system that will be bricked without servers. And yeah, they said that the console would work just like the Xbox 360. Its not!

angryguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 angryguy77

@BuldozerX: Thing is, you will eventually need updates for games on either system. Is it MS' fault you didn't completely set up the system? No. The system needs an initial update and you need to register your account, then no internet is needed until your game calls for it.

And it will work just like the 360...after you complete the install process....which GT is part of.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BuldozerX

@angryguy77 said:

@BuldozerX: Thing is, you will eventually need updates for games on either system. Is it MS' fault you didn't completely set up the system? No. The system needs an initial update and you need to register your account, then no internet is needed until your game calls for it.

And it will work just like the 360...after you complete the install process....which GT is part of.

Eventually need updates for games? No, I don`t. Every game (unless it`s multiplayer only) can be played on the PS4 without any update at all. You don`t even have to install the day one patch for the system. You can play games right out of the box, and if you cant get online, Sony can ship a CD with the install. You can also create profiles offline. Yeah you need online in order to update your games, but you are not FORCED to update them.

Unlike the Xbox One that is completely bricked without a online connection to create/get a profile, and cant play games out of the box. It will be pretty much useless as a retro console sometime in the future.

angryguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 angryguy77

@BuldozerX: You obvioulsy haven't played BF4 then. That game was basically unplayable without an update. Sorry to say, but most devs don't ship complete games. They often need updates to fix issues.

Again, had your profile been set up while you were going through the first patch, you wouldn't have that problem. You didn't complete it. During set up, it asks for your MS account or if you want to create one. That step was skipped in your initial set-up and therefore it wasn't completed. Whoever set it up should have contacted you before shipping it because they didn't complete the process.

I get you're frustrated, I'd be frustrated to get the system and then not be able to play it. However. I think I think you're pissed off at the wrong party here.

One thing I do have to ask: How are you on this site if you don't have access to the internet?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@BuldozerX: My brother did multiple tours in the Middle East and had internet going.

What's the situation there? Why aren't you able to connect?