I currently own an X1, should I get a PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XtheBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XtheBaker
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I have always played on the xbox platform for quite some years now but the latest PS4 sales have caught my eyes. They are offering a 500GB console with free copies of GTA 5 and The last of us remaster for 399, which seemed like a good deal to me. I am quite interested in the Order 1886, which happens to a PS4 exclusive. So here comes the dilemma, should I shell out 400 bucks to buy another next gen console just for a few games?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I personally wouldn't spend that much on a second system to only play a few games... but that's my opinion. If there are games on PS4 that you really want to play and you feel like you'll get your moneys worth, then go for it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@xthebaker said:

I have always played on the xbox platform for quite some years now but the latest PS4 sales have caught my eyes. They are offering a 500GB console with free copies of GTA 5 and The last of us remaster for 399, which seemed like a good deal to me. I am quite interested in the Order 1886, which happens to a PS4 exclusive. So here comes the dilemma, should I shell out 400 bucks to buy another next gen console just for a few games?

I'd get one.

I have both Xbone and PS4 and I enjoy them. I'm sure it will end up being more than a few games you'll enjoy once you see the lineup of 2015...it's a monster year.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Yes. PS4 has some killer exclusives and titles coming in 2015. It also has shareplay which is worth the purchase alone. Its controller is also better for some genres of games IMO. It has Bloodborne and Uncharted which r the 2 biggest exclusives IMO.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

If you think the exclusives are worth it why not?

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

If you have the cash why not? Personally I find the best combo the Xbox One and Wii U. It's not so much a money issue but space in my rack and HDMI ports in my receiver.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Yeah if your interested in the exclusives. Im the other way around. I have a ps4 and im getting x1 for Christmas mainly because of the exclusives like sunset overdrive, forza and quantum break to name a few.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

it depends do you like the games on the PS4 for example the exclusives and if u just want to play a few games then I would say no its not worth it but I'm sure there will be a ton of games coming in 2015 that you will be interested in.

Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#9 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts

Yeah, it's worth it. PS4 didn't have the best 2014 but 2015 is looking great.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidTy

@Gamer46 said:

I thought 2014 sucked across the board and I have all the machines. Halfway though the year I was getting worried at all the buggy games being released and the severe lack of amazing games. A lot of over hyped but average titles kept releasing. I'm looking forward to 2015 for Xbone and PS4, for sure.

There is a site that answers gaming library questions for 2014 though. Based on your answer, you might be surprised at the results:

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KingJuggaNott
Member since 2013 • 200 Posts

@xthebaker said:

I have a both and I don't know what you're really into--but just speaking from my experience of having both you would have to "JUST" be into games. It doesn't offer much more than that. If you're used to the Xbox One and all that it brings to the table you will be surprised at how bare bones the console is. The reason that I got the PS4 is for the Games, but unfortunately I have to wait for them. It's no promise that the games like The Order 1886 will be a good game, or if any of the games releasing will be good. The only game I have faith in is Uncharted, but to be honest I have Tomb Raider and I must say-I've had more fun with that game than any Uncharted game. I can see why Microsoft is trying to make it exclusive. If you have the money for it, I say "why not"...it's an awesome machine that shines when playing games. The graphics are great and the colors just pop off the screen, that is an advantage I'll say that it has over the XB1. Other than that, to be honest I can't see much value in the console. I don't regret it, because I have faith that better games will be down the line. There are still great games on the console though, like Transistor....it's a good change of pace console. Very different than the XB1 which is an entertainment monster while PS4 is just a "Gaming" machine.

@busterfriendly said:

If you have the cash why not? Personally I find the best combo the Xbox One and Wii U. It's not so much a money issue but space in my rack and HDMI ports in my receiver.

I would agree with this 100% that's the better value. Xbox One and Wii U. Great advice...that way you will get more games that wont be on the other..right now I have all three.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Let's be honest, if you have the money why wouldn't you own both machines? In 2015 there will be a lot to be offered on both sides, and you wouldn't want to be missing out. PS4 will have amazing exclusives on offer, like always.

AdrianJNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AdrianJNYC
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts

Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to own both consoles. As both consoles are going to have some nice exclusives in the year 2015.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think as 2015 goes on, like some others have said, better games will come out for both systems. I think the end of this year was pretty good for XBox, but the year was rife with issues, such as bugs that required serious patches.

We've fallen a long ways from the days when a game was shipped as a complete product. The concept of network-connected consoles and DLC has been taken advantage of to the point where it's no longer about having the option to add more to a game after release, it's about rushing games to market and sealing off parts of games as day-one or launch-window DLC.

It was the first year for both consoles, and all in all, not a terrible one. Things will get better as libraries grow, and services improve.

My PS4 hasn't gotten a lot of attention, but there are a few upcoming games I might wanna give a chance, such as Bloodborne. Just gotta have patience, and wait and see how things turn out in 2015.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@kingjugganott said:

I have a both and I don't know what you're really into--but just speaking from my experience of having both you would have to "JUST" be into games. It doesn't offer much more than that. If you're used to the Xbox One and all that it brings to the table you will be surprised at how bare bones the console is. The reason that I got the PS4 is for the Games, but unfortunately I have to wait for them. It's no promise that the games like The Order 1886 will be a good game, or if any of the games releasing will be good. The only game I have faith in is Uncharted, but to be honest I have Tomb Raider and I must say-I've had more fun with that game than any Uncharted game. I can see why Microsoft is trying to make it exclusive.

I own both as well and also a Wii-U, I feel that the PlayStation 4 is not currently a viable system to own if you already own an Xbox One. The weaknesses of the PlayStation 4 do really shine when an Xbox One is right next to it, you compare and contrast them, their usefulness, features, functionality, things you can do beyond gaming, in those capacities the Xbox One absolutely crushes the PlayStation and in terms of gaming is nearly the same. I've always said this and I will continue to do so because it's very true, the PlayStation 4 is a PlayStation 3 with better internal hardware.

Like King said, if you remove the games from the equation of the PS4, it becomes essentially useless. The problem with that even with games is that the available games on the PlayStation 4 that are exclusive are not that great, it's slim pickings. In terms of the 2015 games like The Order and Bloodborne, who knows how that's going to end up, they could be terrible, and if they are that's mostly all there is for a rather large period of time.

Truth be told, my Xbox gets used everyday, my PlayStation 4 gets used bi-monthly, not because I don't want to use, because there's nothing to do on it....

This is my gaming space, just in case people think I am making this up or something, you can clearly see I own these systems.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@xthebaker:

It really depends on the following (in my view anyway).

1). Will you use the machine often enough to feel it was worthwhile and get enjoyment from it?

2). Do you have the cash to do it?

If the answer to both of these is yes, then I would recommend it. However, look at what games you wish to get and which system you want to play them on (also, do you play online with friends, that affects things as you may find you buy a game on one system but then need another version to play it with other people, such as if you play Destiny, if you play on Xbox One you would not be able to play it with PS4 friends, and vice versa).

Last cycle I got the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (I got my PS3 perhaps 12-18 months after getting my Xbox 360 if I remember correctly). Uncharted 2 sold me on buying one as I was blown away with its E3 showing. However, I did not use my PS3 for many games, I played the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 4, Formula One Championship Edition, and a handful of other games. Was it worth it? Perhaps not but I enjoyed the time I did spend on those games but I would have liked to see more on there, but that was purely as my friends were Xbox players and thus I got the games where they went.

If it helps, write a list of the pros and cons of each system and what games you will for sure play, not the ones you might, but the ones you 100% definitely will as those are the ones you get a system for.

I hope this helps.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KingJuggaNott

@nyadc said:

@kingjugganott said:

I have a both and I don't know what you're really into--but just speaking from my experience of having both you would have to "JUST" be into games. It doesn't offer much more than that. If you're used to the Xbox One and all that it brings to the table you will be surprised at how bare bones the console is. The reason that I got the PS4 is for the Games, but unfortunately I have to wait for them. It's no promise that the games like The Order 1886 will be a good game, or if any of the games releasing will be good. The only game I have faith in is Uncharted, but to be honest I have Tomb Raider and I must say-I've had more fun with that game than any Uncharted game. I can see why Microsoft is trying to make it exclusive.

I own both as well and also a Wii-U, I feel that the PlayStation 4 is not currently a viable system to own if you already own an Xbox One. The weaknesses of the PlayStation 4 do really shine when an Xbox One is right next to it, you compare and contrast them, their usefulness, features, functionality, things you can do beyond gaming, in those capacities the Xbox One absolutely crushes the PlayStation and in terms of gaming is nearly the same. I've always said this and I will continue to do so because it's very true, the PlayStation 4 is a PlayStation 3 with better internal hardware.

Like King said, if you remove the games from the equation of the PS4, it becomes essentially useless. The problem with that even with games is that the available games on the PlayStation 4 that are exclusive are not that great, it's slim pickings. In terms of the 2015 games like The Order and Bloodborne, who knows how that's going to end up, they could be terrible, and if they are that's mostly all there is for a rather large period of time.

Truth be told, my Xbox gets used everyday, my PlayStation 4 gets used bi-monthly, not because I don't want to use, because there's nothing to do on it....

This is my gaming space, just in case people think I am making this up or something, you can clearly see I own these systems.

I agree 100% with all of your points.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidTy

@kingjugganott said:

@nyadc said:

I agree 100% with all of your points.

I 100% disagree with all those points. His setup is small and lacking a killer soundsystem and I can't even use the Kinect since I have to turn down my expensive Denon AVR and 7.1 surround so Kinect can hear me. Now, the Kinect doesn't even say it's plugged in and after powercycling the Xbone my Kinect doesn't work. It's a known problem apparently. The main reason I bought these machines is for gaming and his post is about discounting the gaming aspect of these machines....which is THE main reason I bought all the machines (Wii U, 4 gaming PCs, 360, Wii, PS3, PS4, Xbone, etc).

To each their own.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 garfield360uk

@SolidTy:

Which parts do you disagree with about the system line up? I am interested as you mentioned the line up in a previous post pointing out that the PlayStation 4 has more software available to it than the Xbox One. However, I tend to agree with others posting that the line up has been pretty lacklustre for the PlayStation 4 at the moment, bar a few good games I feel the line up, whilst greater in number, is lacking in titles that appeal to me. If they had a Gran Turismo on there or Uncharted, or even something like a WRC title from Evolution Studios, I would be more interested. However, I played The Last of Us already on the PlayStation 3 so getting the PS4 to play that again would be something off putting for me. I know there are more titles out there, but they, like some of the Xbox Line up, have had launch issues (such as DriveClub).

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#20 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

i will never know why you didn't get that first

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidTy

@Garfield360UK said:

@SolidTy:

Which parts do you disagree with about the system line up? I am interested as you mentioned the line up in a previous post pointing out that the PlayStation 4 has more software available to it than the Xbox One. However, I tend to agree with others posting that the line up has been pretty lacklustre for the PlayStation 4 at the moment, bar a few good games I feel the line up, whilst greater in number, is lacking in titles that appeal to me. If they had a Gran Turismo on there or Uncharted, or even something like a WRC title from Evolution Studios, I would be more interested. However, I played The Last of Us already on the PlayStation 3 so getting the PS4 to play that again would be something off putting for me. I know there are more titles out there, but they, like some of the Xbox Line up, have had launch issues (such as DriveClub).

I said in the past and I'll say again, I felt the PS4 and Xbone had a terrible year. Terrible. I bought above average titles for them, but they were multiplatform games. I've said before that 2014 was one of the worst years in gaming in a long time. Even Gamespot had trouble when they were choosing their GOTY games and placing multiplats over the "exclusive" games that were available for both.

It comes down to personal taste, right? You said it yourself, how you felt and what appealed to you: "I feel the line up, whilst greater in number, is lacking in titles that appeal to me". One man may think Infamous 3 is great and another would think Sunset is great. It's all down to each gamer. Sometimes though, those that don't own a machine would not take a chance on a game that isn't on their platform. Therefore, a game that potentially could have appealed to them never was available.

I don't care for racers so I can't comment on Gran Turismo, Forza, Drive Club, Forza Horizons, etc. When one talks of lineup, or a library of games you just look at the list. There is a link I posted above so I don't have to type it all out. It's just a matter of what games work for you. I may not like racing and therefore not care for Forza for instance, however I know that's still part of the library of the Xbone and makes it better. Someone else might point out that Titanfall, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza Horizon 2, Halo MCC, and other games Xbone are games released on other platforms they own and therefore wouldn't think much of those Xbone games in the same vein you don't think much of The Last of Us Remastered since you had it on PS3. Btw: Me too, I beat TLOU for PS3 back when it was a new game.

For me? I own all the platforms so both machines had a very weak year for me. It depends on the gamer so this ends up being subjective. The only thing that is not subjective is the total library of each machine (212 PS4 games to 140 Xbone games). Another thing that placed the PS4 on top was the PS+ games vs. the GWG games delivery. GWG delivered 9 Xbone games vs. PS+ delivering 27 PS4 games. They were quality games (using Metacritic) too, I kept track of each as I downloaded every single title for both service. That would in fact help the PS4's year out. In fact, PS4 gave a retail game recently to their PS+ owners, Injustice Ultimate edition. Xbone GWG has not given a retail game out yet. I also would point out Injustice is a game not even on Xbone. I like fighters and I was raised in arcades so that was a sweet bonus. On the flip side of the coin, I know others that dislike fighting games and like racing games which I don't like. However, if I didn't have PS+ but I subscribed only to Xbox Live Gold...maybe I wouldn't even have noticed. I could have convinced myself otherwise, but that wasn't the case. 27 > 9 in the end. On the flipside, if I didn't own XBL maybe I could have written off the 9 GWG Xbone games, but own them all. I enjoyed Ragnarr for instance. In the end, these things all helped me form my opinion of both machines year. It was a year of multiplatforms games and even worse, the multiplatform games were above average to me and very buggy. The Wii U did better than both (which to me wasn't to say much as I expected more from the Wii U), but when thinking of libraries I have to give a shout out to the Wii U and PC. Last Gen machines were still cranking out games as well so I played a lot of those.

While I felt this year was terrible all around and I felt the PS4/Xbone purchases I made at launch both let me down...I also realize there were some fun times on the machines, although few for me. The idea that singling out the PS4 as a bad year doesn't play out for me. Here I sit in December 21st with all the biggest games released for both machines this year and I know they let me down. If anything, I would single out the Xbone since I bought less multiplatform games on it due to multiplat differences (Xbone versions being inferior due to hardware). Same exact reason why I bought 360 games over PS3 games last gen was usually the 360 version was better, even if slightly. Now it's reversed, which plays out in PS4s favor this gen as it did the 360 last gen.

"I did say to each their own". That's what I said in my other post. Ultimately, it's all about what appeals to you and me and them? To each their own, but besides raw data, the link I provided above does lay out the games. If that means one machine had a better year to you, who am I to argue? I didn't live your life or share your taste so that would fall on you. I know people that would argue NES > SNES and others that would say NES is junk and SEGA all the way. It's about taste in the end and how can I be called upon to argue my taste versus yours? To each their own. Maybe I should have just re-posted that. :P

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NyaDC

@SolidTy: You can't say you disagree with me 100% and then proceed to not say why, you didn't explain yourself at all. You buying all of your stuff for gaming doesn't negate anything I said about the usefulness of the PlayStation 4 being null when you take games out of the picture, it becomes a paperweight and is dwarfed severely by the Xbox One. My setup is small? This is a 12x16 room, that TV is 55" and I have a Samsung 5.1 surround sound setup in here which is cleverly masked. I've not heard of a single person reporting your Kinect issues, you're the first and saying "it's a known problem" does not make it a reality.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 garfield360uk

@SolidTy:

Oh don't get me wrong, I am not calling you out. I am just curious why you said you 100% disagreed with another user about the Xbox One being better than the PlayStation 4 at the moment was all. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, just want people to talk about why so we can get some discussions going. You are right, there are games on Xbox One that have made their way to other systems (such as Dead Rising 3 as you pointed out). It really does depend on the individual as you say, one person may own a great gaming PC and a PlayStation 4 thus the software line up on the Xbox One would be weaker in comparison to those two as a group. However, if you own just a Xbox One (and just is there factually, an Xbox One is a very expensive piece of kit as are all the consoles thus some people may choose to go with one rather than all due to financial constraints or just pure personal preference) then comparing it to the PlayStation 4 library is easier to do as there are no other systems coming in to play that you can game on. Realistically, the consoles with the most exclusives to go between would say best getting a Wii U and a PC because Nintendo games stay on their system and the PC gets the majority of third party games. But as you say, it is down to personal choice.

Hopefully both consoles will have a great 2015, more software for everybody is a good thing at the end of the day as is competition, without it, there is no need to push forward or innovate to get customers.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidTy

@nyadc said:

@SolidTy: You can't say you disagree with me 100% and then proceed to not say why, you didn't explain yourself at all. You buying all of your stuff for gaming doesn't negate anything I said about the usefulness of the PlayStation 4 being null when you take games out of the picture, it becomes a paperweight and is dwarfed severely by the Xbox One. My setup is small? This is a 12x16 room, that TV is 55" and I have a Samsung 5.1 surround sound setup in here which is cleverly masked. I've not heard of a single person reporting your Kinect issues, you're the first and saying "it's a known problem" does not make it a reality.

But I can and I did? I also responded in greater detail for someone else which you could have read above your post. Furthermore 5.1 is usually last gen sound (depends on your AVR of course) and if you have the speaker hidden, you must not have towers and wattage as I do? In that picture, there are no front speakers or rear speakers, but I'll take your word for it. My towers are as tall as your TV and entertainment center and are placed exactly where they are supposed to be placed. I couldn't fit my audio gear in that 12x16 room (especially with my office computer in the same room) is what I was saying. The couch is a two seat-er, it just wouldn't work for me. Hiding huge 4-5 foot tall audio Def Tech towers is a whole different ball game. My old 5.1 surround sound I put in the family room. I'm an audiophile though and I concede not everyone cares for audio as I do. I'm not out to offend you, so let's move on.

Moving on...Why would I take games out of the picture?

I bought the machines AT LAUNCH for full price specifically for games.

If I took games out of the picture, both machines wouldn't even get used in my home at all. Not once would they be turned on. They would be sitting there doing nothing. I watch Blu-ray movies taking full advantage of my audio gear. I don't stream movies. To me the apps these companies secure are pointless, but I know to others they are useful.

I understand that if you use your machines differently than I do, which you do, you will have different preferences. I'm just telling you for me these machines are not extraordinary at all beyond games and including games, things could be A LOT better. The UI is awful geared more towards marketing that being useful and even Gamespot and other sites talked about the UI recently during the official Gamespot.com one year review a few weeks ago.

They covered the Xbone OS/UI as well in the video:

Lucy James found the Xbone UI difficult to navigate the UI with a controller and how you are forced to use Kinect shortcuts (if you have a Kinect model). She felt the interface was actively out to get her.

Kevin VanOrd (owns the Xbone) called the Xbone UI " a stupid mess". "It's More designed to advertise" to users than let him do the things he wants.

Seb Ford said the Xbone UI was Clumsy, confusing, snap isn't particularly intuitive...even changing settings is really frustrating.

Rob Crossley said the Xbone "Operating system and UI is so bad" and "atrocious" that he found M$'s team choices Genuinely shocking and fascinating. He can't believe how many bad decisions on the UI were allowed to be in the Xbone.

Cam Robinson said the Xbone UI needs to be completely redone for him to consider buying an Xbone instead of using the Xbone at the office.

BTW: Kinect connection problems are a reality. Just so you know, also the controller sometimes won't connect to the Xbone and you have to reset. That's another issue that crops up.

Just because you haven't heard anything doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I can't control what you choose to read or watch.

Your Xbox One Kinect Sensor won’t turn on - Xbox.com

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2ahbu7/help_kinect_stopped_working/

There are many links. Many videos. Many threads. Here's one video. I posted more videos and links in the other thread you questioned.

This problem is on the downswing perhaps since last I read more Xbone's are sold without Kinect. Many of your cherished features aren't even a part of the modern Xbone experience as more and more $350 kinectless Xbones are sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3VgJDGPlks

Loading Video...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SolidTy

@Garfield360UK said:

@SolidTy:

Oh don't get me wrong, I am not calling you out. I am just curious why you said you 100% disagreed with another user about the Xbox One being better than the PlayStation 4 at the moment was all. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, just want people to talk about why so we can get some discussions going. You are right, there are games on Xbox One that have made their way to other systems (such as Dead Rising 3 as you pointed out). It really does depend on the individual as you say, one person may own a great gaming PC and a PlayStation 4 thus the software line up on the Xbox One would be weaker in comparison to those two as a group. However, if you own just a Xbox One (and just is there factually, an Xbox One is a very expensive piece of kit as are all the consoles thus some people may choose to go with one rather than all due to financial constraints or just pure personal preference) then comparing it to the PlayStation 4 library is easier to do as there are no other systems coming in to play that you can game on. Realistically, the consoles with the most exclusives to go between would say best getting a Wii U and a PC because Nintendo games stay on their system and the PC gets the majority of third party games. But as you say, it is down to personal choice.

Hopefully both consoles will have a great 2015, more software for everybody is a good thing at the end of the day as is competition, without it, there is no need to push forward or innovate to get customers.

Yes, in terms of exclusives for this year I would say that's one category the Xbone has over the PS4, but it's a very slight lead. I'm not counting LittleBigPlanet 3 for instance because I know a lot of people here aren't into platformers. I think last I checked it was a couple games. Since both machines didn't crank out many exclusives as they are still very new, it's not exactly a banner year from me to scream from the rooftops declaring a victory and then turn around and play multiplats cross gen developed like Destiny, GTA5, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, Fifa, NBA, or Madden.

In the end, I just want some kickass games on these machines. Less bugs, less cross gen games, more exclusives. Anything that actually taps the power these machines have. Next gen games not cross gen developed on 2005 old hardware (360), games like Bloodborne, Quantum Break, The Order, Batman Arkham Knight, Halo 5, Uncharted 4, GeoW4, The Witcher, Ratchet & Clank Reboot, No Man's Sky, Fable, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KingJuggaNott

The Point....don't make a case against the PS4 on Gamespot Forums. SMH....

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 garfield360uk

Right, back to topic. There are reasons for and against buying a PlayStation 4 if you own an Xbox One, however it does depend on the individual. Have you had any more thoughts @xthebaker?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@nyadc Sweet setup man, now that's what I call an entertainment room !!

XtheBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XtheBaker
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Wow a lot of action here. I finally bought the system at Gamestop. I purchased the black friday bundle, with one TLOU remaster and GTA V. I also got a free PS4 camera because they were having a promotion. I ended up selling the camera since I have kinect. I do love the graphic from ps4 but I am seriously not liking the controller. I think maybe things will pick up in 2015 and hopefully some great games for both console. As for multi player games, I will stick with Xbone for now since I have live gold until next year. Thanks for everyone's opinion!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SolidTy

@slim70 said:

@SolidTy said:

@Gamer46 said:

I thought 2014 sucked across the board and I have all the machines. Halfway though the year I was getting worried at all the buggy games being released and the severe lack of amazing games. A lot of over hyped but average titles kept releasing. I'm looking forward to 2015 for Xbone and PS4, for sure.

There is a site that answers gaming library questions for 2014 though. Based on your answer, you might be surprised at the results:

MOD EDIT: SNIP

Look at the picture again: You don't have to wonder.

It's circled in red in the picture you quoted. There are 88 PS4 retail vs. 82 Xbone retail games. That's 6 non-indie games, one of which is Injustice Ultimate Edition which is a good fighter, but that's subjective. Some of those games in the list are also MMOs which are not indie either, but they aren't necessarily physical retail games.

Regarding what you owned: If you didn't buy on launch all the machines last gen (which you said you bought the PS3 later in the gen in previous posts), then that gives the consumer more time with one ecosystem over the other. You would be more invested in one machine (360) over the other based on years alone. You have more games, you have more achievements, you have more friends, more time with the controller, all on the 360. That's why I buy at launches for decades and let the games come at me.

BTW: People have complained about the entire year in other forums (2014 has gotten a bad rap across the board). People have complained about their Xbone year, PS4 year, Wii U year, PC year, 3DS year, and Vita year. It just so happens we are in the Xbox forums so people are naturally complaining about the PS4 year. We visit the PS forums and we could see them complaining about Xbone which I have also seen. As I have said for months now owning all the machines, 2014 sucked. It's not a one system problem, it was a publisher problem.

As you see, I did not insult. I'm not here for that. I don't mind a nice discussion, it's just a shame some others are hellbent on utilizing ad hominem tactics.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I'd wait just a bit longer, there's not really any exclusive worth getting just yet, but by the time there is I bet they'll either give it a nice price drop or at least bundle it with some worthwhile games.

But, if you're interested in GTA V and Last of Us Remastered then $400 is a pretty darn good deal. And you'll be ready to play any good games that come out. I'm on the fence about The Order myself but Bloodborne looks like it might be worthwhile. When Persona 5 comes out though I'll be getting a PS4 for sure.

AdrianJNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AdrianJNYC
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts

If you can afford a PlayStation 4 - then it is definitely worth buying one. The PS4 has a strong game library for 2015 with many exclusives.

Personally, I want a Nintendo Wii U, I already own a Xbox One. Furthermore, I prefer to play Nintendo games rather than more of the same games which I can play on my XB1 as well.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The PS4 is the better overall console so yeah, if you can upgrade do it.

The Xbox is good for exclusives but that's about it.

While people say that it's about preference it's not, better looking/running games aren't a preference, that's where the PS4 shines. As far as exclusives you have Forza and Halo which are terrific but on the PS4 you have their stable along with other companies making games only for that hardware like Disgaea.

Multimedia they're just about tied , both companies are working hard to add as many entertainment apps as possible.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidTy

@lamprey263 said:

I'd wait just a bit longer, there's not really any exclusive worth getting just yet, but by the time there is I bet they'll either give it a nice price drop or at least bundle it with some worthwhile games.

But, if you're interested in GTA V and Last of Us Remastered then $400 is a pretty darn good deal. And you'll be ready to play any good games that come out. I'm on the fence about The Order myself but Bloodborne looks like it might be worthwhile. When Persona 5 comes out though I'll be getting a PS4 for sure.

I've even seen major retailers selling that machine for $350 during the holiday rush, maybe they are still doing it. Just a heads up for whoever.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I'll probably wait until holiday season 2015 before getting one. In the meantime I have my eye on the PlayStation TV, hopefully they have a better bundle and deal on the proprietary memory cards down the line, or I hear news they'll just add Playstation TV digital functionality to the PS4.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jaysonguy

@lamprey263 said:

I'll probably wait until holiday season 2015 before getting one. In the meantime I have my eye on the PlayStation TV, hopefully they have a better bundle and deal on the proprietary memory cards down the line, or I hear news they'll just add Playstation TV digital functionality to the PS4.

The Vita TV's biggest problem is that it only shows at 720

I'll wait for a latter version that can do a higher resolution

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NyaDC

@Jaysonguy:

@Jaysonguy said:

While people say that it's about preference it's not, better looking/running games aren't a preference, that's where the PS4 shines. As far as exclusives you have Forza and Halo which are terrific but on the PS4 you have their stable along with other companies making games only for that hardware like Disgaea.

Multimedia they're just about tied , both companies are working hard to add as many entertainment apps as possible.

Better console as far as the GPU is concerned, sure, but that doesn't make it a "better overall console", it's miles off from that title...

What better looking games? I own both of these systems and the games look the same as far as graphical fidelity is concerned, the PlayStation 4 is not a gaming PC for crying out loud, you people greatly overestimate the capabilities of this thing. Some games on the PlayStation 4 run at a higher resolution or framerate, but not both at once, and? Maybe with the framerate you can tell the difference in motion on the few games which exhibit this advantage, but the resolution thing? 900p upscaled to 1080p or 1440x1080 on the Xbox One vs. native 1080p on the PlayStation 4? You can't tell the difference, not sitting on your couch playing on a TV, it's indiscernible.

Xbox One only has Forza and Halo? BUT Sony has "their stable along with other companies making games only for that hardware"... Are you kidding me right now? Are you so foolish as to actually imply that Microsoft is not in the same position? Fable, Quantum Break, Gears of War, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Crackdown etc... I mean hello!!!

They're not even on the same planet in terms of multimedia capability, features, functionality and apps. Microsoft is so far ahead of Sony in this regard and has secured so many different multimedia avenues for the Xbox One that it's just absolutely no contest, none at all.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jaysonguy

@nyadc said:

@Jaysonguy:

@Jaysonguy said:

Better console as far as the GPU is concerned, sure, but that doesn't make it a "better overall console", it's miles off from that title...

What better looking games? I own both of these systems and the games look the same as far as graphical fidelity is concerned, the PlayStation 4 is not a gaming PC for crying out loud, you people greatly overestimate the capabilities of this thing. Some games on the PlayStation 4 run at a higher resolution or framerate, but not both at once, and? Maybe with the framerate you can tell the difference in motion on the few games which exhibit this advantage, but the resolution thing? 900p upscaled to 1080p or 1440x1080 on the Xbox One vs. native 1080p on the PlayStation 4? You can't tell the difference, not sitting on your couch playing on a TV, it's indiscernible.

Xbox One only has Forza and Halo? BUT Sony has "their stable along with other companies making games only for that hardware"... Are you kidding me right now? Are you so foolish as to actually imply that Microsoft is not in the same position? Fable, Quantum Break, Gears of War, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Crackdown etc... I mean hello!!!

They're not even on the same planet in terms of multimedia capability, features, functionality and apps. Microsoft is so far ahead of Sony in this regard and has secured so many different multimedia avenues for the Xbox One that it's just absolutely no contest, none at all.

I own everything, I actually have two of everything and the PS4 is superior to the Xbox by a wide margin right now.

Frame rate and resolution is huge and it's noticeable instantly between the two consoles.

As for companies? You put down Fable and Crackdown as third party? They're first party. Plus the Fable franchise is doing so poorly they switched it's genre trying to keep it alive. Crackdown will hopefully be better than the disaster that was 2. You make it sound like Sony wont be coming out with it's first party titles as well, plus the only place to play baseball this year will be on the Playstation.

First party they have advantages on either side, third party? There's no reason to buy a third party game on the Xbox unless you like the worst version.

Multimedia they're a tie, apps they're a tie.

PS4 has horsepower and more importantly they're looking to make up for failing to badly last generation.

Microsoft is starting to put things together but they still have a long way to go and they'll never be able to overcome the horsepower problem, it's going to haunt them all generation.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NyaDC

@Jaysonguy said:

@nyadc said:

@Jaysonguy:

@Jaysonguy said:

I own everything, I actually have two of everything and the PS4 is superior to the Xbox by a wide margin right now.

Frame rate and resolution is huge and it's noticeable instantly between the two consoles.

As for companies? You put down Fable and Crackdown as third party? They're first party. Plus the Fable franchise is doing so poorly they switched it's genre trying to keep it alive. Crackdown will hopefully be better than the disaster that was 2. You make it sound like Sony wont be coming out with it's first party titles as well, plus the only place to play baseball this year will be on the Playstation.

First party they have advantages on either side, third party? There's no reason to buy a third party game on the Xbox unless you like the worst version.

PS4 has horsepower and more importantly they're looking to make up for failing to badly last generation.

Microsoft is starting to put things together but they still have a long way to go and they'll never be able to overcome the horsepower problem, it's going to haunt them all generation.

I own everything as well and let me tell you what, your view is horribly askew...

Framerate is noticeable on the few games where the PlayStation 4 exhibits a higher framerate, there is no doubt about that. Resolution on the other hand is absolutely not, maybe on the original slue of Xbox One games where 720p was still something it was noticible there, but on these 900p+ games, you're just blowing smoke if you think you can actually tell... It's 900p upscaled to 1080p on a TV sitting meters away, this isn't raw 1600x900, it's being upscaled.. In a blind test where they had identical TV's side by side with the consoles covered up you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 900p content and 1080p, not a chance, it's that negligible.

Sony is coming out with games and so is Microsoft, the point is you can't act like only Sony has games in the works, which is exactly what you did and implied, it's nonsense, they both do... "There's no reason to buy a third party game on the Xbox unless you like the worst version." You say worst like the difference between the recent multi-platform games is something substantial and a good reason to get a PlayStation 4 lol. Oh there is more grass in certain areas on GTA V, better buy a PlayStation 4. Oh this game runs at 900p upscaled to 1080p on XB1 and 1080p native on the PS4, which I can't even visually tell the difference anyway, better buy a PlayStation 4!!!

Give me a break lol...

Multimedia they're a tie and apps they're a tie? What are you smoking kid? Does PlayStation 4 have Pandora? Does it have DLNA? Can it store and play MP3's? Can it play CD's? Can it pass-through live television through HMDI in? Can it control live television? Can it turn on and off all of your other media devices?

That's a huge resounding NO...

They're a tie in apps? Again, what are you smoking kid? The PlayStation 4 has 20 apps, the Xbox One currently has 43 apps. They're a tie? Hahaha don't make me laugh anymore, this is becoming too much...

So that's yet again a huge resounding NO...

Microsoft isn't "putting things together", they've had things together for a long, long time, all they needed to do was get rid of the stigma from their 2013 PR nightmare (which they did) and from there it's been gold. They are overdeveloping the Xbox One, they are making sure it has and does everything as soon as possible, Sony on the other hand is extremely slow to bring change or really do anything on their platform, it's bare bones and stagnant which no doubt has a lot to do with the financial ruin they're currently in, they can't afford to spend the money on developing the PlayStation 4 and as a result it's suffering.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 101239
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

ps4

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jaysonguy

@nyadc said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@nyadc said:

@Jaysonguy:

@Jaysonguy said:

I own everything as well and let me tell you what, your view is horribly askew...

Framerate is noticeable on the few games where the PlayStation 4 exhibits a higher framerate, there is no doubt about that. Resolution on the other hand is absolutely not, maybe on the original slue of Xbox One games where 720p was still something it was noticible there, but on these 900p+ games, you're just blowing smoke if you think you can actually tell... It's 900p upscaled to 1080p on a TV sitting meters away, this isn't raw 1600x900, it's being upscaled.. In a blind test where they had identical TV's side by side with the consoles covered up you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 900p content and 1080p, not a chance, it's that negligible.

Sony is coming out with games and so is Microsoft, the point is you can't act like only Sony has games in the works, which is exactly what you did and implied, it's nonsense, they both do... "There's no reason to buy a third party game on the Xbox unless you like the worst version." You say worst like the difference between the recent multi-platform games is something substantial and a good reason to get a PlayStation 4 lol. Oh there is more grass in certain areas on GTA V, better buy a PlayStation 4. Oh this game runs at 900p upscaled to 1080p on XB1 and 1080p native on the PS4, which I can't even visually tell the difference anyway, better buy a PlayStation 4!!!

Give me a break lol...

Multimedia they're a tie and apps they're a tie? What are you smoking kid? Does PlayStation 4 have Pandora? Does it have DLNA? Can it store and play MP3's? Can it play CD's? Can it pass-through live television through HMDI in? Can it control live television? Can it turn on and off all of your other media devices?

That's a huge resounding NO...

They're a tie in apps? Again, what are you smoking kid? The PlayStation 4 has 20 apps, the Xbox One currently has 43 apps. They're a tie? Hahaha don't make me laugh anymore, this is becoming too much...

So that's yet again a huge resounding NO...

Microsoft isn't "putting things together", they've had things together for a long, long time, all they needed to do was get rid of the stigma from their 2013 PR nightmare (which they did) and from there it's been gold. They are overdeveloping the Xbox One, they are making sure it has and does everything as soon as possible, Sony on the other hand is extremely slow to bring change or really do anything on their platform, it's bare bones and stagnant which no doubt has a lot to do with the financial ruin they're currently in, they can't afford to spend the money on developing the PlayStation 4 and as a result it's suffering.

God you're such a fanboy

"Everything you say is right but I have to defend the company I like better"

It's going to be ok, your favorite console isn't good enough to be best this generation

Also did you just mention Pandora and the HDMI pass through feature as reasons the Xbox is better? Pardon me I have to throw up in my mouth a little.

Games look better and play better on the PS4, the only major app it's missing is ESPN but you need a cable account to access it so really the Xbox is more of an extra cable box.

"Xbox record that" is brilliant except that the hardware is so weak that the recordings take a huge hit in quality. Ps4 recordings don't look like VHS.

Also seriously? How do you not know what Microsoft is doing? They're turning away from the entertainment and focusing on games which means that they're constantly going to be producing games with lower resolutions, lower framerates, and in some cases less features than the PS4.

Also interesting how you didn't mention that Sony is now spending as much on third party than Microsoft is. So Microsoft has the COD exclusives while Sony has deals for games like Destiny and NBA 2K15 and Metal Gear for exclusive content only on it's consoles.

Also Microsoft is the one who had to drop their price, know when you don't have to drop your price? When people want your stuff.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 garfield360uk

People, this is not System Wars so either talk in a reasonable way, or go to System Wars.

If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of owning both systems, like the Topic Creator has asked for by using factual information or backing your opinion up in a reasonable manor, you may talk away. However, this is not System Wars so using hyperbolic statements such as "PS4 records do not look like VHS" or trying to break down each others conversations to pick at little parts is not what this board is about.

Thank you.

Fatfinn50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fatfinn50
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I'm 49 and suck at all the games. w/o cheats I cant finish anyway. Love games like Halo. Assassins Creed, GTA, Fallout, Borderands etc have slow internet & wont be playing anything online. Concerned about MS requiring monthly check in.

Just watching & waiting for the dust to settle. A lot of good points made all the way around keep it up.

MortisPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MortisPenguin
Member since 2014 • 172 Posts

Right now there are no games for the PS4 that makes me want one. I have very happy with my Xbox One.