hulu plus certain shows web only???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

why is it alot of shows cant be watched on the 360?? only on web this have something to do with the free 1st week or does hulu normally do this with shows?

lKoRuPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lKoRuPT
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts
Because when hulu first started out they acquired licenses to allow streaming from your pc only. Now that they have expanded to other media extenders such as the xbox 360, they new need licenses to allow for it. While they expand, you can only view select shows from your xbox 360 even if you have hulu plus.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#3 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I was really tempted to purchase a subscription until I found that a. the selection wasn't nearly as good as Netflix and b. most of the stuff was web only
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I was kind of excited for it. Till I tried the free trial. I will not be paying for a subscription.
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts
I was kind of excited for it. Till I tried the free trial. I will not be paying for a subscription. AutoPilotOn
ya i signed up for a free month on the hulu website.. very disapointing when i try to watch 3 shows i wanted to see and all were web only
Shock_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shock_T
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts
I was really tempted to purchase a subscription until I found that a. the selection wasn't nearly as good as Netflix and b. most of the stuff was web onlyhillelslovak
I don't know about your first part. Yeah, I like Netflix, and that's why I have it, but Hulu has a little more shows, plus the ones Netflix has, but also the current seasons.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I was kind of excited for it. Till I tried the free trial. I will not be paying for a subscription. BostonDieNasty
ya i signed up for a free month on the hulu website.. very disapointing when i try to watch 3 shows i wanted to see and all were web only

yea everything I wanted to watch said web only. Kind of takes away the point.
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

Because when hulu first started out they acquired licenses to allow streaming from your pc only. Now that they have expanded to other media extenders such as the xbox 360, they new need licenses to allow for it. While they expand, you can only view select shows from your xbox 360 even if you have hulu plus.lKoRuPT

True, that's what I read on their site, too. It's the same way for PS3 (and any other extender other than streaming it on PC).

I was really tempted to purchase a subscription until I found that a. the selection wasn't nearly as good as Netflix and b. most of the stuff was web onlyhillelslovak

That's what killed it for me, too. I thought about giving the trial a go b/c much of their anime selection was pretty freakin' tempting (plus they subbed ver., too)--that's was until I caught on to the whole 'most shows web-only' bit. Plus, their terribly slow w/ their broadcast of new animes as well. Why do I have to wait an entire freakin week to catch a delayed showing of the 'latest' episode of something like Bleach (to use an example) when my Crunchyroll Premium membership gives me access to same eps simulcasted in Japan in about less then 4 hrs after they've showed (though it's usually at about 4 in the morning east coast time...still that awesome quick)?

Pfft....nah, no thanks. I'll stick to my Netflix & CR (& a few other sites as well) for may anime fix. Netflix's anime selection, for streaming, is actually growing surprising fast, too. Maybe when Hulu gets their s*** together as far as having less restrictions then I might give them a try....until then, I'll pass.

I don't know about your first part. Yeah, I like Netflix, and that's why I have it, but Hulu has a little more shows, plus the ones Netflix has, but also the current seasons.Shock_T

Yeah true, but having the 'current' seasons to some shows don't mean much for s*** if you can't actually stream/view however you see fit (and thus only being relegated to watching it from your PC).

Shock_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shock_T
^ But keep in mind that Hulu was a computer-only service until a few days ago. I'm sure most things will be available on the Xbox soon enough.
lKoRuPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lKoRuPT
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts

^ But keep in mind that Hulu was a computer-only service until a few days ago. I'm sure most things will be available on the Xbox soon enough. Shock_T
I was under the impression that PS3 and other devices have been compatible for a while, so this can't be true. I do hope they do get what they need to allow streaming of all their content through any extender soon, or at least more.

madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 madmidnight
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts

[QUOTE="Shock_T"]^ But keep in mind that Hulu was a computer-only service until a few days ago. I'm sure most things will be available on the Xbox soon enough. lKoRuPT

I was under the impression that PS3 and other devices have been compatible for a while, so this can't be true. I do hope they do get what they need to allow streaming of all their content through any extender soon, or at least more.

I tried Hulu Plus trial on my PS3 in Jan. this year. Lots of video skipping and buffering on my 10mb connection. In contrast Netfliix always runs in a smooth HD. Sometimes Hulu Plus got hung up on commercials and replayed them a few times before resuming the video. Those are my experiences atleast. I'm not going to start another trial on my 360. Perfectly happy with netflix working on my 360 Ps3 wii and PC
bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bessy67
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts

I find it absolutely unforgivable that you still have to watch advertisements even for a paid subscription service. Because of that and the poor show availability, I will not be using Hulu Plus. Hulu better get their act together before they end up running themselves out of business.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

^ But keep in mind that Hulu was a computer-only service until a few days ago. I'm sure most things will be available on the Xbox soon enough. Shock_T

Nope, it's been on the Roku for ages now

There's content that's strictly web only because of licensing

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#14 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
there are some shows that i have enjoyed watching but like everyone else is saying 90% of the things i wanna watch are web only.I can't justilfy paying for it.
Shock_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shock_T
[QUOTE="lKoRuPT"]

[QUOTE="Shock_T"]^ But keep in mind that Hulu was a computer-only service until a few days ago. I'm sure most things will be available on the Xbox soon enough. madmidnight

I tried Hulu Plus trial on my PS3 in Jan. this year. Lots of video skipping and buffering on my 10mb connection. In contrast Netfliix always runs in a smooth HD. Sometimes Hulu Plus got hung up on commercials and replayed them a few times before resuming the video. Those are my experiences atleast. I'm not going to start another trial on my 360. Perfectly happy with netflix working on my 360 Ps3 wii and PC

That's awfully strange because on my 360, when I was watching HD content on Hulu, it ran smoothly, and I have a 6mb connection.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AutoPilotOn

[QUOTE="madmidnight"][QUOTE="lKoRuPT"] I was under the impression that PS3 and other devices have been compatible for a while, so this can't be true. I do hope they do get what they need to allow streaming of all their content through any extender soon, or at least more.

Shock_T

That's awfully strange because on my 360, when I was watching HD content on Hulu, it ran smoothly, and I have a 6mb connection.

I have a 6Mb connection too and hulu looked like crap. While netflix plays fine in HD.

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts

I find it absolutely unforgivable that you still have to watch advertisements even for a paid subscription service. Because of that and the poor show availability, I will not be using Hulu Plus. Hulu better get their act together before they end up running themselves out of business.

bessy67
My thoughts exactly. And until this changes they can't expect their numbers to be all that great. Netflix seems to do it just fine, and imo a much better service.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="bessy67"]

javafriek

My thoughts exactly. And until this changes they can't expect their numbers to be all that great. Netflix seems to do it just fine, and imo a much better service.

Netflix is great but the content gets there slower.

Hulu updates almost nightly with the newest episode of many shows