Not sure if any of you are as paranoid as me about data loss but, in the 15 years I've worked in IT, I've seen enough hard drives fail for no reason that I keep as many backups as I can! Anyway I've recently backup up both my Xbox 360 and PS3 drives and found it wasn't as straight forward as I thought it would be...so I thought I'd share this guide.
This is an excerpt from my blog, if interested please read the full article here and leave comments.
EDIT : If you want a PS3 Backup procedure click here
What you'll need:
- 1 x PC or Laptop, any OS or capacity is fine
- 1 x Microsoft migration cable (free from MS if you own an Elite or you can purchase from http://https://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?id=976183&lcid=1033&category=hardware)
This is aneasy backup but cannot be done from the system itself.
- Download Xport 360 (http://uk.codejunkies.com/support/article.aspx?article_id=272)
- Install Xport 360
- Plug your Xbox hard drive into your PC using the data migration cable
- Start Xport 360
NOTE : IF you're on a Windows Vista or 7 PC you'll need to right click the shortcut and select "Run as administrator"
- Click HDD/MC > Backup to Image
- Ensure the "Device to backup" shows your Xbox 360 Hard Disk Drive
- Click Browse and select a destination location/file (I put mine on a second partition on my external hard drive to keep it simple).
- Select Backup the entire disk
- Click Copy
Once complete you will have a bin file on your external hard drive. You can't view individual sections of your hard disk backup however, if the drive fails you can now restore the data to a new drive.