How to Duel in Red Dead Redemption?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Snipes_2 (17126 posts) -

I know how to Draw the gun and target, but I don't know how to actually fire the gun after targeting the guy once or twice.

#2 Posted by Wirrexx (1713 posts) -
when the crosshair turns white you mark your opponent, try to have a Gun that inflicts good damage, and then aim for the head!
#3 Posted by Snipes_2 (17126 posts) -
when the crosshair turns white you mark your opponent, try to have a Gun that inflicts good damage, and then aim for the head! Wirrexx
So, When the cross-hair is white I pull the right trigger and he will shoot?
#4 Posted by Wirrexx (1713 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wirrexx"]when the crosshair turns white you mark your opponent, try to have a Gun that inflicts good damage, and then aim for the head! Snipes_2
So, When the cross-hair is white I pull the right trigger and he will shoot?

i dont know how far you've gotten into the game. If you just got your dead eye, you pull the trigger and you kill him. if you've traveled to mexico *spoiler* - you learn how to mark the opponent with the Right Button.. For example.. The crosshair goes red white red white.. You aim at the head, waits for it to turn white, Pushes the RB or RT whatever. And let the level meter to the right (the blue one) Go past the red one.
#5 Posted by awdrgy (45 posts) -

Don't draw too early. When you are in a duel wait till the opponent pulls his gun because if you mark your targets too early he will dodge and kill you so wait until you see him pull his gun a little then mark. Go for his gun or his head it should only take one bullet.

#6 Posted by wado-karate (3831 posts) -

Its somewhat complicated but let me see if I can explain.

When the duel starts the camera slowly zooms in on Johns hand. As soon as it says Draw, pull the Left Trigger. You'll notice to bars on the right side of the screen, the objective is to fill your bar more than your opponents. If you draw to early, it'll fill slower. If you pull the Right Trigger when the crosshairs are Red, it fills slower also. It fills faster if you shoot when the crosshairs are white. And remember, you can fire 6 shoots, so don't just pull the trigger once.

Hopefully that helps some.

#7 Posted by Snipes_2 (17126 posts) -

Thanks for your help guys. I actually beat the game, I'm having a lot of trouble dueling the random people that call you out. So, You try and fill the bar on the right side and your guy will shoot when it's full?

#8 Posted by Ghost_702 (7405 posts) -
Whenever you start a duel, you always have the best level of dead-eye, regardless of what point in the game you are at. So when you start, you and your opponent are facing eachother. If you want, you can pull down on the right thumbstick to draw your hand closer to your gun (I'm not sure if this does anything). When the screen says "DRAW!" pull the right stick up and keep hitting the right trigger to target whatever parts of your opponent that you want to. Then after, Marston automatically fires all the shots. Don't draw your gun before it says "DRAW!" either or I'm pretty sure you will lose automatically. You can do some pretty interesting stuff in duels as well. One time I targeted my opponent's gun and shot it out of his hand. Then he was just defenseless.
#9 Posted by Snipes_2 (17126 posts) -

I got it now. Thanks for all your help guys.

#10 Posted by Agent-Zero (6196 posts) -
The firing of the bullets is out of your control. You have to make sure when you mark the opponent the crosshair is white. The key is the two bars on the right off the screen. More accurate shots increase the bar, whose ever bar is higher after the time is up wins.
#11 Posted by Snipes_2 (17126 posts) -
The firing of the bullets is out of your control. You have to make sure when you mark the opponent the crosshair is white. The key is the two bars on the right off the screen. More accurate shots increase the bar, whose ever bar is higher after the time is up wins.Agent-Zero
Yeah, It drove me crazy. I kept trying to fire after one shot (Because that's how my opponent would kill me).