How is this legal?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

I have been a xbox live member for 6 years. Every year i bought a card in the stores to renew my subsriction. Money was tight for awhile so i couldnt renew my account. Somehow, i guess nearly a decade ago, i allowed a auto renewal thing on my account where xbox will charge my card to renew it. Well, my cards on my account were expired. I thought that my xbox live account will just go auto automatically to silver when my time ran out. Did it, no. Evedently, for 2 or 3 months, they attempted to charge a old card even though the cards were expired instead of stopping my service when they couldnt get their money.

Well, i come up even money to buy a 3 month pass for xbox live. When i tried to use it, i get a mesage that my account is suspended. So i call and dthereps say i cant use any card until i pay the remaining balance due i my account. wtf?

This just doesnt seem right. How can they continue to give me a service that i obiviously couldnt pay for then suspend my account for using a prepaid card? This is just another dirty trick from M$. I have gone through 4 xboxs, and still been loyal to them. I've paid for 6 years of xbox live. and now they had some trick up their sleve to make sure they can squiz every last drop of money out of me wen times gets rough in case i ever did want to go back to xbox live and recover my account. Greeedy, greedey greedy....

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I have been a xbox live member for 6 years. Every year i bought a card in the stores to renew my subsriction. Money was tight for awhile so i couldnt renew my account. Somehow, i guess nearly a decade ago, i allowed a auto renewal thing on my account where xbox will charge my card to renew it. Well, my cards on my account were expired. I thought that my xbox live account will just go auto automatically to silver when my time ran out. Did it, no. Evedently, for 2 or 3 months, they attempted to charge a old card even though the cards were expired instead of stopping my service when they couldnt get their money.

Well, i come up even money to buy a 3 month pass for xbox live. When i tried to use it, i get a mesage that my account is suspended. So i call and dthereps say i cant use any card until i pay the remaining balance due i my account. wtf?

This just doesnt seem right. How can they continue to give me a service that i obiviously couldnt pay for then suspend my account for using a prepaid card? This is just another dirty trick from M$. I have gone through 4 xboxs, and still been loyal to them. I've paid for 6 years of xbox live. and now they had some trick up their sleve to make sure they can squiz every last drop of money out of me wen times gets rough in case i ever did want to go back to xbox live and recover my account. Greeedy, greedey greedy....

Trinitarian

100% your fault

It's your job to read over the terms of service for anything you're agreeing to, Microsoft or anyone else.

This could have easily been taken care of if you did that, because you failed to do what was required you now need to fix the mess you created.

It's nothing to do with Microsoft

EDIT: And in case you don't know there's a fee for every single credit card transaction made, because you didn't do what you agreed to in the terms of service Microsoft had to pay fees every month.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Trinitarian

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Jaysonguy

100% your fault

It's your job to read over the terms of service for anything you're agreeing to, Microsoft or anyone else.

This could have easily been taken care of if you did that, because you failed to do what was required you now need to fix the mess you created.

EDIT: And in case you don't know there's a fee for every single credit card transaction made, because you didn't do what you agreed to in the terms of service Microsoft had to pay fees every month.

first, when thier first attemt to charge my account failed, that should have stopped my service right there and not allow it to continue for 2 ro 3 months after words. And its not practical to remember the fine print 6 years after you got a service. They know this, so its an obvious set up. My payment history has always been by paying with a prepaid card. This company just finds every loop hole it can to screw people over. So legally, i guess they nailed me, but they are still moral pigs.

Avatar image for JusticeFromSeed
JusticeFromSeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 JusticeFromSeed
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

Sorry, mate, but that one is your fault. You accept their ToU, you set up the auto-pay. It's like having your bank write a check to a company automatically every month - you're basically writing bad checks. Stop the autopayment - it's not that hard...

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Trinitarian

Sorry, mate, but that one is your fault. You accept their ToU, you set up the auto-pay. It's like having your bank write a check to a company automatically every month - you're basically writing bad checks. Stop the autopayment - it's not that hard...

JusticeFromSeed

6 years ago i dont ever recall anything mentioned about auto pay. To top all this off. instead of paying a past due amount for 2 months they are claiming that i have to pay 60 bucks for a whole year to get this going again. This was designed to trick you plan and simple. And they know that since ...... Nevemind, i just called them again trying to figure something out and this time they just forgave the whole balance and now i can start fresh, well they have a heart after all and now im happy,

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Enabling auto renewal is like giving a child a jar of cookies: he'll eat them all and start crying when there's none left
Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#7 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts
I just got done turning off my auto renew, it's a total pain in the ass. I wish you were still able to turn it off from xbox.com rather than having to call Xbox Support.
Norrie91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Norrie91
Member since 2009 • 2444 Posts

Just watch the South Park episode Human Centi-Pad you'll learn to read the Terms & Conditions lol

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
It's legal because you failed to notify them of your service cancellation. Failing to keep a valid card on file is not proper notification. That's the way it is with a lot of services these days. All you can do is chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.
TwinMachetes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 TwinMachetes
Member since 2011 • 100 Posts

I actually love the way microsoft handle auto renewel, I paid for 1month when i first got my 360 and just let it go. i don't notice the money going each month and i don't need to worry about my gold running out.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

100% your fault

Correct

I actually love the way microsoft handle auto renewel, I paid for 1month when i first got my 360 and just let it go. i don't notice the money going each month and i don't need to worry about my gold running out.

TwinMachetes
If you plan on keeping an account why would you pay monthly? It's going to cost a lot more than just paying $50 for a year or waiting for a deal on Live or to buy a year card for $30 or $40.
EABGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EABGamer
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Trinitarian

100% your fault

first, when thier first attemt to charge my account failed, that should have stopped my service right there and not allow it to continue for 2 ro 3 months after words. And its not practical to remember the fine print 6 years after you got a service. They know this, so its an obvious set up. My payment history has always been by paying with a prepaid card. This company just finds every loop hole it can to screw people over. So legally, i guess they nailed me, but they are still moral pigs.

dude is right tho it is 100% ur fault. I am sure your bank or credit card company sent you mail saying you owed money. You get bank statements and credit card statements so its kinda hard to feel sorry for you when you new about it and didn't care. Or xbox live sent you a email notice about it. They send you one every month the bank and credit card people at least mine does the for sure the bank statements come every month i know that.
isshiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#13 isshiah
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts

As Altair would say: "Everything is permitted".

Avatar image for ChristopherRage
ChristopherRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ChristopherRage
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts
Here's a good question. Did you continue to use xbox live, even though you knew your subscription should have ended?
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

monkeymoose5000

100% your fault

Do you have friends?

I like him
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i usually agree with people not doing the right thing, but i wish microsoft would make the cancel procedure easy. i am in the same boat where my cards have been changed but i havent gotten around to calling them yet due to work. i gave them my card details to score the 40% off deal.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

100% your fault

Jaysonguy

Why respond with a post like this? The guy obviously feels bad enough. Actually, it is NOT 100% his fault. I recently tried to buy something on XBLA, and I had forgotten that I just got a new credit card. When the transaction didn't work (an error message kept coming up) I looked at my CC info and saw that the number for my old card (which expired last month) was in there. I put the new one in and that solved the problem. My point is that Microsoft does not allow transactions to work for expired cards, which seems to have been the TC's situation.

TC, how loyal you have been to M$ is irrelevant. I do agree with you though that they had no business attempting to make a charge on an expired credit card. If it doesn't work in the XBLA then it shouldn't work for auto-renewals either. They clearly have a double standard here that allows them to exploit their customers.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

100% your fault

Jurassic85

Why respond with a post like this? The guy obviously feels bad enough. Actually, it is NOT 100% his fault. I recently tried to buy something on XBLA, and I had forgotten that I just got a new credit card. When the transaction didn't work (an error message kept coming up) I looked at my CC info and saw that the number for my old card (which expired last month) was in there. I put the new one in and that solved the problem. My point is that Microsoft does not allow transactions to work for expired cards, which seems to have been the TC's situation.

TC, how loyal you have been to M$ is irrelevant. I do agree with you though that they had no business attempting to make a charge on an expired credit card. If it doesn't work in the XBLA then it shouldn't work for auto-renewals either. They clearly have a double standard here that allows them to exploit their customers.

He thinks that it's not his fault, he thinks that it's the "greedy unfair" Microsoft that's at fault

That's not true at all, know how easy it is to know if your credit card is good? They all come with an expiration date in the corner. There is no excuse for having a card around that you don't know if it's good or not.

Both of you also think that it's a real person putting these charges through and totally missing the whole "AUTOMATED" part of it. There's a computer putting this through.

You understand that when you get a new card issued with the same number you don't need to update your credit card info right?

So here's a computer putting it though because Microsoft thinks "there's no way someone would be as careless with their credit card to just leave things like this undone" and they keep on trying to charge it and why is that? It's so on a day where credit card transactions don't go through smoothly you're not locked out of your account.

All it would havge taken to not have this happen is the very minimal of effort, it's not Microsoft's fault in any shape or form.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jurassic85

He thinks that it's not his fault, he thinks that it's the "greedy unfair" Microsoft that's at fault

That's not true at all, know how easy it is to know if your credit card is good? They all come with an expiration date in the corner. There is no excuse for having a card around that you don't know if it's good or not.

Both of you also think that it's a real person putting these charges through and totally missing the whole "AUTOMATED" part of it. There's a computer putting this through.

You understand that when you get a new card issued with the same number you don't need to update your credit card info right?

So here's a computer putting it though because Microsoft thinks "there's no way someone would be as careless with their credit card to just leave things like this undone" and they keep on trying to charge it and why is that? It's so on a day where credit card transactions don't go through smoothly you're not locked out of your account.

All it would havge taken to not have this happen is the very minimal of effort, it's not Microsoft's fault in any shape or form.

Jaysonguy

Where did I say that it's a real person? I'm well aware that its a computer. You whole argument consists of putting words in my mouth that aren't there. He didn't have a card around that he didn't know if it was good or not, his info in the system for his card had EXPIRED. HUGE difference. Actually when you get a new card with a new expiration date, I'm pretty sure that you do need to update that info. There is a good chance that the security code on the back would be different as well, and this is all info that M$ needs in order to charge the card.

So you honestly think that it is okay for M$ to continously attempt to charge a card with an expiration date from the past and a (potentially) incorrect three digit security code? Of course it isn't. Do you know what will happen if you try to use a credit/debit card that has expired to buy gas in person? It won't work. I've already explained to you that I got an error code when I accidentaly tried to use my expired card that was the one listed on my account. When I updated that changed info it worked.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jurassic85

Jaysonguy

I quoted you again and bolded some parts that I found hilariously contradictory. You really think the computer goes through that type of "real person" thought process? When you get a new card do you automatically think "I better go update my xbox account!" Of course not. I'm sure there are tens of thousands of people who have made the exact same mistake as the TC. To say that "there's no way someone would be this careless" is absolutely absurd.

You simply wanted to make a post to make the TC feel bad. Why even come in here and say all that stuff? Does it make you feel good?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jaysonguy

Actually when you get a new card with a new expiration date, I'm pretty sure that you do need to update that info.

So you honestly think that it is okay for M$ to continously attempt to charge a card with an expiration date from the past and a (potentially) incorrect three digit security code? Of course it isn't. Do you know what will happen if you try to use a credit/debit card that has expired to buy gas in person? It won't work. I've already explained to you that I got an error code when I accidentaly tried to use my expired card that was the one listed on my account. When I updated that changed info it worked.

Jurassic85

Nope, don't need to update it, mine is going on the card expiration date of the one I got 2 cards ago. It also applies for my gym membership.

And you're also talking apples and oranges. It's very different going from a reoccurring payment that you authorized to a single payment after the fact.

If you make a reoccurring payment on a card and it expired and is replaced by a card with the same numbers you don't need to change anything, the credit card system is sophisticated enough to understand that.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jurassic85

Nope, don't need to update it, mine is going on the card expiration date of the one I got 2 cards ago. It also applies for my gym membership.

And you're also talking apples and oranges. It's very different going from a reoccurring payment that you authorized to a single payment after the fact.

If you make a reoccurring payment on a card and it expired and is replaced by a card with the same numbers you don't need to change anything, the credit card system is sophisticated enough to understand that.

Jaysonguy

Well sounds like your bank is not as secure as mine. To each his own. It is definitely convenient to keep the exact same info if you authorize multiple online payments, so that you don't have to change all that info. However, I would rather get (AT LEAST) a new security code on each new card. They last a couple years before they expire, and I'd rather have my money secure and be inconvenienced, than be convenienced and be at higher risk. Sounds like the TC's mentality is similar to mine.

There is no reason for an expired card to continue working.

Oh and BTW, if what you are saying is true wouldn't his card have continued to work despite the fact that the expiration date had passed? It sounds like they continuously tried to charge him AND it didn't work. According to you he shouldn't have needed to change anything, so why call him irresponsible for not doing so? What should have happened is his account would have been overdrawn, if you logic was correct.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

totally legal, u gave them ur credit card number and then asked them to charge you forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Completely your fault. You should have canceled the subscription yourself.

JMCDS45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JMCDS45
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts

And the people here are defending Microsoft for doing this? Lol, just becouse it's legal it doesn't mean it is correct what they did.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jurassic85

[QUOTE="JMCDS45"]

And the people here are defending Microsoft for doing this? Lol, just becouse it's legal it doesn't mean it is correct what they did.

SilentSoprano

I don't know why some people refuse to acknowledge the faults of certain companies. Apparently they are so in love with the company that they don't want to admit the stupid things it does. It's pretty evident here that the auto-renewal thing is a sneaky ploy on Microsoft's part to get people to pay for Xbox Live without even really noticing it. I mean it's smart to check and make sure all your credit card information is off an account you are no longer using, but you can't expect everyone to know that M$ will just automatically bill you for more time if you don't take your credit card off.

Not to mention, it's a pain in the ass trying to get your credit card off of the account in the first place. You can't just simply do it on their website like a lot of companies offer, but instead you have to call their support number. Then you are put on hold until you can finally talk to some random guy in India that you barely understand. Once all that is done, your credit card is finally taken off. That;s how it was for me at least.

I know people like Jaysonguy will disagree with me, but I don't really care. He's one of the biggest trolls on here anyways and always disagrees with just about everyone.

+1 to both of you. Microsoft knows full well that people can find XBL gold memberships for much cheaper than the ridiculous price that they charge. By having accounts set up to auto renew by default, they get people to pay $60 for a year when they could really find it for $40 or so online. Yeah its legal, but it doesn't make it right.

Its only common sense that if you try to charge someone's card and it doesn't work, that you don't keep trying to charge it over and over. I don't care if its a computer. They could program it to stop raking up charges on a card that is obviously expired by charging it over and over, and send the user an e-mail notifying them of the problem. At that point I would agree that a user is responsible if they don't fix the problem. Bank charges don't always show up instantly so charging an invalid card over and over is ridiculous.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

JMCDS45

dude didn't ask if it was RIGHT just if it was LEGAL
not the way i would run my business, but it is legal, no denying that.

RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

Jaysonguy

Yeah, sure. If anything, companies don't care about whether or not you miss the payment because then they can pile on fees and such that you'll have to pay. They know that most people who forget to pay on time or leave on auto-renewal will be able to afford it, and they'll pay whether they want to or not. There's no reason for a company to turn on auto-renewal on any subscription service by default unless it's hoping people will forget to turn it off. It's not their fault legally, which is obvious, but it's definitely not a decision made for the customers. This is just an easy way to get more money in their pockets.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jaysonguy

There's no reason for a company to turn on auto-renewal on any subscription service by default unless it's hoping people will forget to turn it off.

RogueShodown

Of course there is, because it's easier.

Autopay and autorenew is easier for people.

Who else does this "scam" then? Do insurance companies do it because they expect you'll want to continue service? Cable companies and ISP's?

I have my gym, bank, insurance company, cable company, Xbox Live, cell phone, house phone all auto pay and auto renew because I use those things and I don't want to waste time paying them each month, I know I'm going to use them until I want them stopped.

The idea that we should take a step back as far as convenience because people don't pay attention to their finances is wrong.

This all comes down to responsibility, the perception companies take is if you were able to get a credit card you're able to read the terms of service.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jurassic85

I have my gym, bank, insurance company, cable company, Xbox Live, cell phone, house phone all auto pay and auto renew because I use those things and I don't want to waste time paying them each month, I know I'm going to use them until I want them stopped.Jaysonguy

As someone who often accuses others of comparing apples and oranges, you sure do it a lot. How can you compare a cell phone or cable bill (monthly) with xbox live, which the majority of people buy YEARLY subscriptions for. In fact you contradict yourslef at the end of this statement by saying that you have them set up on auto-renewal because you don't want to waste time paying them each month. Is your XBL membership really monthly? If everyone was paying for XBL on a monthly basis then your logic would make sense, but to have an auto renewal feature for a yearly service is much different than one for a cell phone. :roll:

Not to mention that you are comparing things that are arguably necessities with things that are conveniences.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]I have my gym, bank, insurance company, cable company, Xbox Live, cell phone, house phone all auto pay and auto renew because I use those things and I don't want to waste time paying them each month, I know I'm going to use them until I want them stopped.Jurassic85

As someone who often accuses others of comparing apples and oranges, you sure do it a lot. How can you compare a cell phone or cable bill (monthly) with xbox live, which the majority of people buy YEARLY subscriptions for. In fact you contradict yourslef at the end of this statement by saying that you have them set up on auto-renewal because you don't want to waste time paying them each month. Is your XBL membership really monthly? If everyone was paying for XBL on a monthly basis then your logic would make sense, but to have an auto renewal feature for a yearly service is much different than one for a cell phone. :roll:

Not to mention that you are comparing things that are arguably necessities with things that are conveniences.

I talked about auto pay and auto renew, don't know how you missed that actually :|

My gym is the perfect example if you want to go with the yearly payment option. Every single year my gym charges me a fee to my credit card. No one is going to see that as a scam.

The idea behind the service is like another entertainment field like cable TV. No one gets cable for a month and then stops it.

It's meant for ongoing service.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jurassic85

I talked about auto pay and auto renew, don't know how you missed that actually :|

My gym is the perfect example if you want to go with the yearly payment option. Every single year my gym charges me a fee to my credit card. No one is going to see that as a scam.

The idea behind the service is like another entertainment field like cable TV. No one gets cable for a month and then stops it.

It's meant for ongoing service.

Jaysonguy

You're right, most people who have cable and cell phones are in some sort of contract, another reason why your analogy is a bad example. I don't have a contract with XBL, payment-wise. Once again, apples and oranges. Sure your gym charges you a fee once a year, and that makes sense because at that specific gym you are paying the only price available. With XBL you can buy a year gold membership for varying prices if you shop around. This is why M$ has the auto renewal, so they get people to pay the highest possible price.

I have to ask you, why go through all this trouble debating, and arguing just to try and make the TC feel bad about a mistake. Telling him that it was 100% his fault acomplishes nothing. Wouldn't bring me the least bit of satisfaction. But here you are several posts later battling on? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But to each his own. LOL.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
When you continued to get Live after your subscription had expired, why didn't you phone Microsoft and sort it out? Seems a little silly to complain about having an account in arrears when you did nothing to cancel the service. Just pay the money you owe and move on.
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
When you continued to get Live after your subscription had expired, why didn't you phone Microsoft and sort it out? Seems a little silly to complain about having an account in arrears when you did nothing to cancel the service. Just pay the money you owe and move on.x-2tha-z
That's the bottom line.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jaysonguy

Telling him that it was 100% his fault acomplishes nothing.

Jurassic85

No it doesn't, he obviously didn't know he was at fault because he's blaming Microsoft

Now he knows (or should know) it was his responsibility to take care of this himself

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

Oh please, cut the ToS crap. When you use your credit card to buy 1 month you hardly expect to have your account renewing it. You bought the month for the month, not an auto-renewal service (which I wouldn't consider a blatant thing). I think it is **** and as ignorant as your case may sound, I sympathize for you.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jaysonguy

Oh please, cut the ToS crap. When you use your credit card to buy 1 month you hardly expect to have your account renewing it. You bought the month for the month, not an auto-renewal service (which I wouldn't consider a blatant thing). I think it is **** and as ignorant as your case may sound, I sympathize for you.

mr_zombie60

The TOS is right there lol

It's not like you can't see it, it's not like you're able to even go on Live without seeing it.

If people read over the TOS they'd see that they'd have to shut off auto renew if they don't want it to continue

None of this is complicated. It's simple responsibility

Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

[QUOTE="mr_zombie60"]

Jaysonguy

It's not like you can't see it, it's not like you're able to even go on Live without seeing it.

If people read over the TOS they'd see that they'd have to shut off auto renew if they don't want it to continue

Everyone knows that not everyone reads the terms of service. If he shouldv'e done so, then fine. But you don't have to be so abrasive about everything just to make a point. It makes us all wonder whether you're capable of having real friends when you can't be civil from the get-go.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jurassic85

Everyone knows that not everyone reads the terms of service. If he shouldv'e done so, then fine. But you don't have to be so abrasive about everything just to make a point. It makes us all wonder whether you're capable of having real friends when you can't be civil from the get-go. Kojo222

I've heard this sentiment echoed over and over by multiple posters. There are definitely ways of tactfully and politely talking to people. What does someone gain by going out of their way to make others feel bad on the internets? I think anyone in the TC's situation would be upset, even if it was their fault. It's easy for people to look on and say that the mistake was dumb, but we all make mistakes and could have ended up in that situation.

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 drkessence
Member since 2006 • 237 Posts

[QUOTE="Kojo222"]Everyone knows that not everyone reads the terms of service. If he shouldv'e done so, then fine. But you don't have to be so abrasive about everything just to make a point. It makes us all wonder whether you're capable of having real friends when you can't be civil from the get-go. Jurassic85

I've heard this sentiment echoed over and over by multiple posters. There are definitely ways of tactfully and politely talking to people. What does someone gain by going out of their way to make others feel bad on the internets? I think anyone in the TC's situation would be upset, even if it was their fault. It's easy for people to look on and say that the mistake was dumb, but we all make mistakes and could have ended up in that situation.

At what point is he purposefully trying to make him feel bad. The OP asked a question and he answered it truthfully. Just because the OP does like the thruth, doesn't mean that the giver is trying to be mean to them. This argument has gone beyond idiotic. It's the OPs fault, plain and simple. Yes, MS could make their cancellation processes easier. Yes, his bank could've let him know that there were attempts at charging his expired card. You can go on and on with faults on both sides, but the simple fact of the matter is that by giving his card and accepting the ToS, he was agreeing to go along with it all.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jurassic85

At what point is he purposefully trying to make him feel bad. The OP asked a question and he answered it truthfully. Just because the OP does like the thruth, doesn't mean that the giver is trying to be mean to them. This argument has gone beyond idiotic.drkessence

You're right, the argument has gotten ridiculous, its not even about the original topic anymore and the OP is long gone. You ask how he tried to make him feel bad.....

100% your fault

Jaysonguy

Everything in bold could have been omitted or stated in a more polite manner. The only time that I would tell someone to "fix the mess that you created" would be if that mess affected me in someway. There's no reason to be super passionate about pointing out that someone made a mistake that has no affect on your own life.

Archias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Archias
Member since 2003 • 221 Posts

Guy has 33,000 GameSpot/GameFAQ posts. Why are you debating with him like he has a shred of relevancy?

Anyway, I had a similar situation to this. It was on auto-renew on a credit card that got jacked in a hack on an internet retailer (thanks Cables2Go). Needless to say, card was cancelled. Thing is, I hardly use Xbox Live and never check that Windows Live e-mail nonsense, so 6 months down the road when I decided to give multiplayer another spin I get an error code when trying to renew. They told me the same thing, that I had an outstanding balance to pay before they would let me back on. So, I said thanks but no thanks and kept my $60 in my account.

CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

As has been pointed out, legal, yes, but right? Not so much. Auto renewal should be something you opt into, not something that is put on automatically and that you have to jump through hoops to turn off.

And you would think that their system would recognize when a credit card has expired and not charge it, but rather contact the user (send out an email or Xbox Live message, maybe) for updated payment information and not charge them again until they provide this (and, of course, not giving them any more Xbox Live time either), at least that is what other services I use do.

I always pay using XBL code cards instead of my credit card. I'm glad that it worked out for you, though.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

FWIW, here is the exact quote from the TOS:

6.3. Updates to Your Billing Account. You must keep all information in your billing account current. You can access and modify your billing account via the "Account Management" section of the Xbox Dashboard or at https://billing.microsoft.com. You may change your payment method at any time. If you tell us to stop using your payment method and we no longer receive payment from you for the Service, we may cancel your Service. Your notice to us will not affect charges we submit to your billing account before we reasonably could act on your request. Accounts cancelled for non-payment may be blocked from reactivation.

Simple as that...

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 drkessence
Member since 2006 • 237 Posts

[QUOTE="drkessence"]At what point is he purposefully trying to make him feel bad. The OP asked a question and he answered it truthfully. Just because the OP does like the thruth, doesn't mean that the giver is trying to be mean to them. This argument has gone beyond idiotic.Jurassic85

You're right, the argument has gotten ridiculous, its not even about the original topic anymore and the OP is long gone. You ask how he tried to make him feel bad.....

100% your fault

Jaysonguy

Everything in bold could have been omitted or stated in a more polite manner. The only time that I would tell someone to "fix the mess that you created" would be if that mess affected me in someway. There's no reason to be super passionate about pointing out that someone made a mistake that has no affect on your own life.

First two bolds, sure, but the last one is fine.

For giving him crap about being "super passionate about" "a mistake that has no affect on your own life", you sure are doing just that. The kid made a mistake. He knows now and, we hope, he won't do it again. It's done and over with.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

for a way around this mess, what if i change the card number in the xbox? how can they charge a wrong number?

NOTE: i just got off the phone with msoft call centre and it was suprisingly easy to disable it. i normally always forget ;)

RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

[QUOTE="mr_zombie60"]

Jaysonguy

It's the fact that these companies hope you will slip up and forget to turn off auto-renew that is my point. Again, you say they're not trying to scam consumers, but how do you explain the fact that buying even a 1-month sub. will be put on auto-renew. You can't. Most people who'd even think of buying a 1-month sub. are those who want to try out the service. By leaving auto-renewal on as a default, companies are unnecessarily creating a responsibility for the consumer to turn it off. If you think that's not purposely done, there's really no point explaining it to you again.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jurassic85

For giving him crap about being "super passionate about" "a mistake that has no affect on your own life", you sure are doing just that. The kid made a mistake. He knows now and, we hope, he won't do it again. It's done and over with.drkessence

Oh really? How so? Who's mistake am I super passionate about making them feel stupid for? Nice try. You're late to the party and looking to argue, plain and simple. As I said, the TC is gone, this thread has all but lost its relevance. Have fun.