How do u fix sticked buttons!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BIGDeVriendt (1157 posts) -
My A-button became getting stuck a few weeks ago so I looked up how to take apart a 360controller(link below) and purchused one of the torx T8 Drill bits required to open the controller. Today the drill bits arrived and they work great except theyre two screws on the bottom left and right of the controller that cannot be reached. So im stuck here with one useless controller. Anyone have any advice maybe on how else to fix it? Or know of a Security Torx T8 bit that is long enough to work? thx. http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=430626&seqNum=5&rl=1
#2 Posted by BIGDeVriendt (1157 posts) -
anybody?
#3 Posted by XCON_Faxion (2 posts) -
You'll have to determine what is making it stick. If it due to natural use you may consider putting a little WD-40 in there, I don't know if this will damage the controller. If it is due to build up of dirt or gunk over the years then yes you will have to open it and clean out the space around the A button manually. Just use water and a paper towel. Good luck.
#4 Posted by Tertuel (138 posts) -
just pour a little bit of alcohol into the A button. Don't pour too much though.
#5 Posted by Ramazzotti2003 (337 posts) -

Use a toothbrush around the button....make sure ya scrub it good and it should be fine.

#6 Posted by gatsbythepig (10480 posts) -
use a little isopropyl alchohol with a qtip.
#7 Posted by NutsSauce (1527 posts) -

Stop eating greasy pizza and potato chips then grabbing your controller without wiping your hands. Seriously man paper towels are cheap and effective.

As for the guy who said "buildup of grime over the years", I don't know about you but my 360 is a launch system and it's not even two years old yet so buildup over time shouldn't be a factor here.

#8 Posted by BIGDeVriendt (1157 posts) -

Stop eating greasy pizza and potato chips then grabbing your controller without wiping your hands. Seriously man paper towels are cheap and effective.

As for the guy who said "buildup of grime over the years", I don't know about you but my 360 is a launch system and it's not even two years old yet so buildup over time shouldn't be a factor here.

NutsSauce
dude I know lol. I dont ever eat food while playing on my 360 and I always wash my hands before playing. it pisses me off so much when I pick up one of my controllers after I let my older brother play and its all slippery from his sick hands. But I drink coffee while playing and I accidentlly got a drip on my A button so I know its from that. Dumb mistake. I'm going to try using the alcohol thanks!
#9 Posted by NutsSauce (1527 posts) -
Man I got the same problem with my step daughter playing with greasy hands that's how I knew it was food related if it was coffee the alchohol should do the trick.
#10 Posted by Strife88 (6073 posts) -
my x button was messed, and I was getting frustrated not being able to reload in vegas. after playing it for a while It was fixed on its own. yeah man go with the alcohol.
#11 Posted by ChronoChris (1147 posts) -
when that happens to like me keyboard i just usually smash it until it works again. haha.
#12 Posted by litttlejohn (2247 posts) -

stop playing DOA extreme 2....

#13 Posted by mr_stumpy (41 posts) -
Whenever I have any electronic device that has sticky buttons I unplug it and submerge it in soapy water.  Then I move it gently in the water and work the button until the action of the button removes the grime.  Just make sure to use distilled water and dishsoap.  Also, you need to remove as much of the water when you are done and then let it sit on a towel for three days to dry.  This last step ensures that there is no water when you plug it in.
#14 Posted by litttlejohn (2247 posts) -

Whenever I have any electronic device that has sticky buttons I unplug it and submerge it in soapy water.  Then I move it gently in the water and work the button until the action of the button removes the grime.  Just make sure to use distilled water and dishsoap.  Also, you need to remove as much of the water when you are done and then let it sit on a towel for three days to dry.  This last step ensures that there is no water when you plug it in.mr_stumpy

yeah just submerge it, im sure thats what any electronics maker would tell you to do right on the box anyways..... in fact why not just dunk your whole system as a preventive measure, you dont want to get those three rings of death do ya?

#15 Posted by sandroDX (3661 posts) -

when that happens to like me keyboard i just usually smash it until it works again. haha.ChronoChris

haha, me too:lol: 

#16 Posted by tony_fjellborg (1123 posts) -

stop playing DOA extreme 2....

litttlejohn

That made my day lol :P thx

#17 Posted by BIGDeVriendt (1157 posts) -
lol im going to submerge it in water
#18 Posted by ps2forever (580 posts) -
haha that's nothing , my 4 year old son managed to get the back button, start, x, y and A button sticky..and i open up the controllers and clean it every 3 weeks lol haha.
#19 Posted by BeNOwNz (2942 posts) -
use a few drops of water and tap it repeatly
#20 Posted by BIGDeVriendt (1157 posts) -
haha that's nothing , my 4 year old son managed to get the back button, start, x, y and A button sticky..and i open up the controllers and clean it every 3 weeks lol haha. ps2forever
how did you open it? With the Torx security T8 screwdriver? i need one.....the drill bit i got worked but couldnt reach a couple of the screws. thats what I originally planned on doing to clean the controller's A button.
#21 Posted by simpson4 (108 posts) -
i had to open it up with the torx bit. it took me awhile to find one but i got one at a local auto mart for like 8 bucks, looked online for instructions and cleaned the buttons. all i used to clean the buttons was water and q-tips. works like a charm now
#22 Posted by RandellG (311 posts) -
[QUOTE="BIGDeVriendt"]My A-button became getting stuck a few weeks ago so I looked up how to take apart a 360controller(link below) and purchused one of the torx T8 Drill bits required to open the controller. Today the drill bits arrived and they work great except theyre two screws on the bottom left and right of the controller that cannot be reached. So im stuck here with one useless controller. Anyone have any advice maybe on how else to fix it? Or know of a Security Torx T8 bit that is long enough to work? thx. http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=430626&seqNum=5&rl=1

Don't know if anyone mentioned this but do like I did when I trew mine and broke it. Go buy a new one and put the old one in the package and bring it back with some lame (but good) excuse
#23 Posted by Double-Bent (311 posts) -
Well, the first thing I would do if I were you is take a dictionary and look inside to find out that the correct word is "stuck" not "sticked".  That should get you headed in the right direction.
#24 Posted by RandellG (311 posts) -
Well, the first thing I would do if I were you is take a dictionary and look inside to find out that the correct word is "stuck" not "sticked".  That should get you headed in the right direction.Double-Bent
Dude, thats crazy I didn't even know thats how he (or she) wrote it till you pointed it out.
#25 Posted by 3rd360 (176 posts) -
Astroglide,baby yeah!But,seriously,I know what your talking about.Iv'e had a couple this happened too already.I'm always careful that if I am eating while i play ,i use a freaking paper towel,and clean the outside of the controller almost every day.So I guess maybe they wear out or something.Maybe a way for you to spend more money on new ones perhaps.That's my assumption anyway.
#26 Posted by BIGDeVriendt (1157 posts) -
Well, the first thing I would do if I were you is take a dictionary and look inside to find out that the correct word is "stuck" not "sticked".  That should get you headed in the right direction.Double-Bent
lol ok teacher double-bent. Good one grammer police. you got me again.
#27 Posted by III-Rob-III (827 posts) -
My guide button is stuck, i did spill coffee on it though, so im all to blame. this thread should help.
#28 Posted by BIGDeVriendt (1157 posts) -
My guide button is stuck, i did spill coffee on it though, so im all to blame. this thread should help.III-Rob-III
yea I think im done drinking coffee and playing 360