How do I use my PC soundcard while playing on my 360?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16592 posts) -

I want to use EQ settings from my PC soundcard while I play 360 games. I have a pair of 3.5mm headphones I want to use as well. Is there a way I can hook the 360 audio up to my PC and also use headphones at the same time? I have to use the red and white from the 360 AV adapter. However, I am confused which wires and adapters I would need to buy to make it all work.

#2 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Yes.

The 360 outputs analog audio via two RCA's, white and red for the left and right channels respectively.

The microphone / line input of your sound card is likely to be a 3.5mm stereo TRS connector. Luckily, there are lots of easy to procure bits and bobs which can help with the conversion. You might just need some female-female RCA connectors, and maybe a 3.5mm stereo to 2x RCA cable.

Then, in the audio settings of the computer, make sure that the microphone / line input into which the 360 is plugged in, is set to monitor. An easy way to set it up is to have the 360 playing a DVD at the time. Ensure your computer's speakers/headphones are working, plug everything in, then play with the settings until you hear the DVD - voila.

A working example:

300px-Xbox_360_S.png

Output via:

Xbox_360_cable_avance.jpg

Something like this, just use the two red/white connectors:

pRS1C-4247293w345.jpg

In fact if your 360 is real close to the PC, maybe even this could work:

pRS1C-2265718w345.jpg

By the way, if you're using one of these, you only need the next cable:

Optical_Audio_Adapter_For_XBOX_360_HDMI.

Assuming you're now there with RCA sockets, try one of these:

pRS1-5635249w345.jpg

That last 3.5mm cable is going into either the Microphone jack, or Line in jack (experiment with both one may give better sound):

Motherboard2.jpg

I hope this helps.

#3 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16592 posts) -

Thanks! That is all very useful information:)

I am a little confused about setting my microphone input to monitor. What would that do exactly? How would I do that?

#4 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

You're welcome.

Good question, at the time I was posting a little lazily. I mean to monitor the channel, a bit technical sorry.

So, assuming Windows Vista/7. Right click the volume icon and select Recording devices.

If you are playing something into the microphone input, you might see the green bar flicking. Double click the correct input.

Click the 'Listen' tab.

Check 'Listen to this device'. You have to click OK and accept the changes before it will start outputting the audio via the computer speakers. If you hear what you want to hear you're good to go. Let me know if you struggle.

I tested this on my laptop using a smartphone playing music, plugged into the computer's microphone input via a 3.5mm TRS stereo connector.

#5 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16592 posts) -

Thanks again:)

I ordered the necessary cables last Thursday. I hope it all works out!

#6 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Good luck man. Send me a PM if you struggle.