How Can Gamestop Employees Look Anyone In The Eye?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

Or any other used game store for that matter? Because every time i've ever traded a game in I'll see the same used game being sold for lets say $15 and I'll trade it in for $2-$7 or I'll trade in a brand new game a week after its release that i bought for 49.99 or 59.99 and they'll give me $20.00 or $30.00 for the latter but they'll put it up for $45.00 or $55.00 i think its obvious that thats way above any normal profit margin especially for a buisseness that does nothing except put stickers on the used stuff people bring in.

P.S. Everyone else hates this right? although being left with no other options i've found myself trading things in there many times so i guess I'm feeding the beast but that doesn't change how wrong it is.

dawooten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dawooten
Member since 2005 • 692 Posts

Or any other used game store for that matter? Because every time i've ever traded a game in I'll see the same used game being sold for lets say $15 and I'll trade it in for $2-$7 or I'll trade in a brand new game a week after its release that i bought for 49.99 or 59.99 and they'll give me $20.00 or $30.00 for the latter but they'll put it up for $45.00 or $55.00 i think its obvious that thats way above any normal profit margin especially for a buisseness that does nothing except put stickers on the used stuff people bring in.

P.S. Everyone else hates this right? although being left with no other options i've found myself trading things in there many times so i guess I'm feeding the beast but that doesn't change how wrong it is.

julianwelton
working there, i must say it is a little bit of a rip-off. even when you are employed there, no extra trade in credit, same as everyone else. the only thing we get is employee discount and checking out USED games. (no supposed to take out new ones, personally find it rude to do so)
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
yeah... i do feel as if i should get more money for the games(even new releases)... i mean, i called in to trade in guitar hero 2 for my 360, and they said that i would get $15 for the game and $24 for the guitar... i spent $90 on that game, so i just kept it... but at least it's better than nothing... you're best bet is to sell it to a friend or on ebay...
akkirei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 akkirei
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts
i like trades at my local scam artist stopover. many old and played out games have gone toward reducingbrand new purchase price to mere pocket change. if you just try to sell stuff and clean up their registers they dont like you much. quid pro quo
killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts
It's called business.
Santas_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Santas_Hitman
Member since 2004 • 1003 Posts
One word: "ebay". If you don't like what they offer, don't trade there. Its really that simple.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
only games i trade in at gamestop are sports games, i remember last year i got a solid 7 dollars for madden
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 julianwelton

It's called business. killercuts3

No business is one thing robbery is another.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="killercuts3"]It's called business. julianwelton

It's not robbery once you finalize the trade by signing the slip.

tidywhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tidywhite
Member since 2007 • 149 Posts
One word: "ebay". If you don't like what they offer, don't trade there. Its really that simple.Santas_Hitman
Very true. The company has the right to set the return value price, and to get what a dumptruck like me is willing to pay for used merchandise.at least with the card you get an extra 10% off.
akkirei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 akkirei

we 'feed the beast' as you put it. if no one played along they'd be out of business. obviously things are going well

killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts

[QUOTE="killercuts3"]It's called business. julianwelton

When you sell a game for x amount of money and the retailer takes the game and, say, doubles the cost of the game but at the same time making sure that the cost is substantially lower than a new copy, then there is incentive for the comsumer to buy the game.

akkirei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 akkirei
[QUOTE="julianwelton"]

[QUOTE="killercuts3"]It's called business. killercuts3

When you sell a game for x amount of money and the retailer takes the game and, say, doubles the cost of the game but at the same time making sure that the cost is substantially lower than a new copy, then there is incentive for the comsumer to buy the game.

ding ding ding!! question answered

jericoY2J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jericoY2J
Member since 2006 • 1688 Posts
because they got to make a profit man....its a business anyways. also I know a friend who works there and says he has to ask people if they want reservations which kinda is irritating...but there benifits are pretty good. but annoying the hell out of people by asking reservations just kills it. I was going to work there but since its mandatory I said F that. I rather work at blockbuster or toy r us
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Doesn't bother me at all as I understand that I don't have trade things in if I don't want to. If I buy a chair, I can't take it back to the store I bought it at and trade it in. If I buy a microwave at Best Buy I can't take that back and trade it either. Bottom line beyond cars there's not much else I can think of like games as far as trading. In comparison to when I buy a car for 28 thousand they will let me trade it in for like 8 thousand. Yeah I guess it really is kind of the same.

I'm not defending them because I care one way or another. But I will defend gamestop and EB games because it's a choice you make. They have a choice of what to offer you for the used games and you have a choice to accept or not. There's no robbery or deception in that. Now if you had no choice and they forced you to buy games there for top dollar and made you bring them back and trade them in for next to nothing it would be different. They however do no such thing.

They do however offer a service where you can get rid of games that 99.9% of the world wouldn't. They will pretty much take all your used games for a crappy price. But hey, they are doing you a favor. Go to Best Buy and demand they buy your games because you shop there. They will laugh at you.

Bottom line, it sucks how little you get from the games when you trade them in, but... you really should thank GS and EB for even offering the service.

One last thing, go there sometime and look how many used games they have bought that just sit there forever and don't get sold. I know the stores in my area (like 7 of them) have a ton of crap games because no one wants them. But the store did buy them back at least and is now stuck with them.

My two cents.

dgbiker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dgbiker1
Member since 2003 • 2139 Posts
It's a business, they need a markup! When I worked in retail we'd double the wholesale price to get retail price for anything under $150, therefore it makes sense to me they'd buy games back at about 50% of what they sell them for. Sure it kinda sucks for us, but that's why I rent games and only buy the ones I know I wanna keep.
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts
In most cases it seems trading in games is a huge rip-off at gamestop/eb games. In most cases by the time I have played a game enough to want to trade it in its usually a year or 2 after its released. This usually means the prices has dropped since I bought it or gamestop/eb games have a bunch of used copies already. That translates into around 5 dollars trade in credit. Honestly, if I pick up the game and play it one more time its worth the 5 dollars they would have given me for it. Thats why I just don't trade in games. I'd rather keep the game in the hopes I may pick it up and play it months from now then to bend down that low and only get 1/10 of what I paid for it new
cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

In most cases it seems trading in games is a huge rip-off at gamestop/eb games. In most cases by the time I have played a game enough to want to trade it in its usually a year or 2 after its released. This usually means the prices has dropped since I bought it or gamestop/eb games have a bunch of used copies already. That translates into around 5 dollars trade in credit. Honestly, if I pick up the game and play it one more time its worth the 5 dollars they would have given me for it. Thats why I just don't trade in games. I'd rather keep the game in the hopes I may pick it up and play it months from now then to bend down that low and only get 1/10 of what I paid for it newTheRaiderNation

I agree but i also don't buy used games because they don't support the industry only the store that sells them if i have to pay $10 more i will

marinebro0306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 marinebro0306
Member since 2005 • 1098 Posts

@title:

Detailed instructions

longhair72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 longhair72
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
if u'd see how much they pay for rent you would understand...merchandise is the least of the expenses of a business.Believe me...i own 2 small business at the mall
beutlich99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#21 beutlich99
Member since 2006 • 1129 Posts
If you think that is bad, just wait until you start trying to sell back college textbooks to the college. I paid 120 bucks for a chemistry textbook, took it back in great shape (with the cd still unopened) at the end of the year, and I got $17 for it! Then they turn around and sell it for 90!
Jocubus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jocubus
Member since 2006 • 2812 Posts
Well you say they get a huge profit (say $15) but remember some of that markup takes into account the overhead of the business (Utilities, rent, employee salaries) and the inventory space the game takes up. Plus they run the risk of no one buying the game again. In reality they are making less than what you think but I still agree thatthe trade-in value compared to how high they mark it up is ridiculous. EBAY FTW!
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
I don't care about the profit margin, but I really don't like it when I try to buy a new game and the clerk looks disappointed. It's annoying when they push the used games.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
[QUOTE="julianwelton"]

[QUOTE="killercuts3"]It's called business. BioShockOwnz

It's not robbery once you finalize the trade by signing the slip.

I was going to say something to that effect ;) It's a mutual agreement... they aren't forcing you to trade your games in. The trick is to only trade in games when extra incentives are offered. A few months ago I got 27 bucks for NBA2k7 and 45 for Gears, thanks to a 50% trade in bonus. Just wait until the time is right and you really can cash in.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

If you think that is bad, just wait until you start trying to sell back college textbooks to the college. I paid 120 bucks for a chemistry textbook, took it back in great shape (with the cd still unopened) at the end of the year, and I got $17 for it! Then they turn around and sell it for 90! beutlich99

I know that feeling all too well... could sell them on the interweb, but that takes a smallamount of effort ;)

NDokmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NDokmo
Member since 2003 • 153 Posts

yeah its pretty bad.

hopefully ebay market will make them take more money for games.

grubbytron2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 grubbytron2
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Just don't trade there. It's a rip off. I traded 8 fairly new games and got less than $20. I traded one game in for $0.60 and then saw it on the shelf for $12.99. The clerk basically calls you a moron for not subscribing to the magazine, so I guess it's just my own fault. Ebay or Amazon from now on for ALL buying and selling.
FearNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FearNinja
Member since 2006 • 693 Posts

When I got Fusion Frenzy 2 in the mail free for doing the Old Spice Challenge it had never been opened so I took it to gamestop and asked if I would get more than the normal rate since it was never technically used and they said no. So I then took it back home got the achievements then traded it the next day. I think that was kind kind of jerkish(word?) of them not to give me extra credit,but I guess policy is policy.

jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jacksheets
Member since 2005 • 1747 Posts
It's basic economics. Try buying a car and see how that same situation works.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

if u'd see how much they pay for rent you would understand...merchandise is the least of the expenses of a business.Believe me...i own 2 small business at the malllonghair72

Exactly, I bet you would be shocked at what their NET bottm line is.

Bruce_McGivern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bruce_McGivern
Member since 2003 • 1667 Posts

It's not the employee who's boosting the price. It's the corporation. I know my friend Ryan, guy who's trying to pull ropes for me to get there... if it were up to him he'd give people 45-50 bucks back for a brand new game but since it's not company policy he can't, because he'd be on his ass lookin' for a new job.

I just don't trade games there anymore unless I'm doing it for Store Credit and trading them in mass with a few games tht have high prices. See when you get their Gamers card you get an extra ten percent of credit... and when you trade in up to four games you get like 30-40 percent price hike. So with that combined with the Extra games you get 40-50% more money.

If I'm not trading them I'm selling them on Amazon for 46 bucks. Problem with that though is they take 6 bucks commission.

-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -CMG-
Member since 2002 • 4804 Posts

Its a RipOff - I do Ebay now. But in their defense sometimes they buy stuff and then it doesn't sell at all of below what they paid. What I dislike is the way they give you crap for very new titles. If its going back on the Shelf for $50 and they offer $25 thatsa ripoff cause they know they are going to sell it. New AAA titles shoulf garner a better rate.

Ebay is your friend.

Diablo2343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Diablo2343
Member since 2003 • 982 Posts

julianwelton

One word... EBAY

killer295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 killer295
Member since 2006 • 198 Posts
sadly we can do anything about it =/
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 julianwelton

It's not the employee who's boosting the price. It's the corporation. I know my friend Ryan, guy who's trying to pull ropes for me to get there... if it were up to him he'd give people 45-50 bucks back for a brand new game but since it's not company policy he can't, because he'd be on his ass lookin' for a new job.

I just don't trade games there anymore unless I'm doing it for Store Credit and trading them in mass with a few games tht have high prices. See when you get their Gamers card you get an extra ten percent of credit... and when you trade in up to four games you get like 30-40 percent price hike. So with that combined with the Extra games you get 40-50% more money.

If I'm not trading them I'm selling them on Amazon for 46 bucks. Problem with that though is they take 6 bucks commission.

Bruce_McGivern

I just meant their employees should be kind of embarrassed or at least feel kind of bad that they have a hand in pretty much ripping people off and i hate when people are like just dont go there and you'll put them out of business yeah well as a gamer you know that not trading in games once in a while is pretty much not an option and i know they're providing a service but that doesn't change the fact that they are ripping people off and they should up the trade in value a little just to make it more fair to their customers i know its a busines but as a business its supposed to take care of its customers.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

Gamestop was offering $27 for Crackdown recently, which they were selling at $55 used. Shortly after release, they were selling Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) for $55 used, but only offering $5. Their outrageous markups on used games, manufactured rarity to get people to pre-order, selling new games in open display boxes... there are so many reasons to not shop at this store. And that's why I don't.

You can pre-order games at just about any store now... you can even pre-order at most online retailers. However, there are only a few games per console cycle that you will actually NEED to pre-order. Halo 3 will probably be out of stock for a while, as will GTA IV. But when I went to pick up Super Paper Mario -- without preordering? I walked into Gamestop and they made me wait while they "checked to see if any were available for people who didn't preorder". I stood in there for 20 minutes while one employee talked on the phone and the other stood around and talked to his friend, who was shopping there. I, audibly, said "[expletive deleted] this," and walked to Wal Mart, where they had about a dozen copies of this game on the shelf and walked out with it 5 minutes later... most of that time spent traversing the store.

I urge anyone with common sense -- and I understand that it isn't as common as people would have you believe -- to not use Gamestop as their source for video games and accessories. They take advantage of their customers, many of which are too young to know that they're being swindled. It's bad business, we have alternatives and I think we should use them. This is how bad businesses learn.

Schizoidman21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Schizoidman21
Member since 2004 • 379 Posts

julianwelton

I agree, it is a rip off. They try to con you even more buy putting out a flyer that tells you how to trade in games. They like to feel like they are trying to get away with something and to do you a favor. They should be arrested for stealing.

7h3us3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 7h3us3d
Member since 2007 • 125 Posts

I traded like 15 to 20 games and they only gave me 13 bucks i was really pissed about that but i still did trade them in lol

-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -ZeRoHouR-
Member since 2003 • 8089 Posts
Well that's how the company makes business off of used games. If they really gave you $40 for your copy, they would hardly make a profit, maybe even lose money with how many games and systems the company has to order all the time. It's just like the situation I am going through with my car at the moment. I am trying to haggle the dealer but I know that will never work at EB. LOL
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -ZeRoHouR-
Member since 2003 • 8089 Posts

I traded like 15 to 20 games and they only gave me 13 bucks i was really pissed about that but i still did trade them in lol

7h3us3d

I just traded in my Nintendo DS and 7 games, EB gave me $160 for everything. I was pretty surprised how much they gave me for everything.
jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jacksheets
Member since 2005 • 1747 Posts

One thing you people need to realize is... you're selling your product to a middleman that sells your product again a second time. How much profit do you really expect to make?

If you want to make any money sell it directly to the end consumer to make the most money, in other words use ebay, etc.... don't whine about not making any money selling to Gamestop, a middleman. Of course you're not going to get crap for your games. They have to sell the game, then pay taxes on it, pay hourly employees, pay building leases, etc. That's how they stay in business. It's not a scam people.

It's the same reason why you pay $4 for a popcorn or drink at the movie theater. Theres no profit in movie tickets due to how much they have to pay to rent the movie reels, they make all of their money in concessions.

It's quite simple.

DevilMustCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DevilMustCry
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

Making Money > Customers

I find it's not even worth trading my games in to EB games, might as well keep them if I am only going to get $5 for them.

Pwnager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 Pwnager
Member since 2004 • 1947 Posts
Yeah, it sucks. I turned in 9 games the other day and got 21 bucks for it. But face it, thats how it works. They're running a business, and you need money in a business, and thats how you get it
Splincir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Splincir
Member since 2002 • 5791 Posts
I remember I went tro trade in some games, and they were offering me 25 cents for Madden. That's nuts. I took it though.
dgroundwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dgroundwater
Member since 2005 • 924 Posts

It's called business. killercuts3

True that.

wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
i buy all my games and used games at mom and pop type game shacks, if it's used and your selling/buying than you can usually talk your price up by like $5-$10.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Well you don't have to trade them in there. It is good if you don't have an eBay account or other alternative. Not taking sides just pointing it out.
NismoZZzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NismoZZzz
Member since 2006 • 282 Posts

Yep, it's soooooo bad. NOT. It's like when I bought my new car. $30,000 right? Well when I drove off the lot, it was worth pretty much 20% less then that and if I wanted to trade it in? Probably get like $22,000 for it.

It happens everywhere, suck it up, move on. You have a choice you know to like....keep your games.

Business baby, everyone does it, even most EBAYERS who buy cheap and sell big.

MIB911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MIB911
Member since 2006 • 1720 Posts

at least with the card you get an extra 10% off.

on used games that is...