This topic is locked from further discussion.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

I've read that people want HDMI on their 360s about a billion times. I've also read that the 360 has no digital output capability when it comes to the video (hence why in ver. 2 mockups there's even a new scaling chip). I was wondering if a possible solution to this, without making current 360 owners buy new machines, might be to run the video signal out through the USB ports to a small device which could then output an HDMI signal.

Since the USB would be putting out a digital signal I can't imagine it would be that complicated to convert it properly. The fact that the HD-DVD drive connects via USB proves that it is capable of the bandwidth necessary for such a signal. I would think that you could install a firmware/software update like you do with the HD-DVD drive to get this feature working.

I guess the only factor that would prove to be the downfall of this idea is its feasibility: both conceptually and financially. Would such a conversion from a digital USB signal to an HDMI capable signal even be possible? If it is, would processing the video signal on the processor (which I would think would be necessary to output via USB) kill too much processor power? Lastly would it be possible to do this economically (eg: I'm sure most people who want this would rather pay $50 for the addon than $400 for a new console)?

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nosferatu

USB video... :lol:

I've never thought of ever posting or reading anything that stupid...

JohnWinger
Did you even read it? The HD-DVD player sends the video and audio signal over USB to the machine to be decoded. What's so ridiculous about assuming that you could output a video signal via the USB ports to be decoded into a signal transferable over HDMI?
JohnWinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JohnWinger
Member since 2007 • 1903 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnWinger"]

USB video... :lol:

I've never thought of ever posting or reading anything that stupid...

nosferatu

Did you even read it? The HD-DVD player sends the video and audio signal over USB to the machine to be decoded. What's so ridiculous about assuming that you could output a video signal via the USB ports to be decoded into a signal transferable over HDMI?

HDMI to USB....

I'm not saying its impossible.....just saying it will never happen..

However, not trying to be mean. Its just pointless to consider it. It won't ever happen.

Doesn't matter if its a good idea. Companys have all the patents and control everything.

That's why were still over 20 years behind technology wise.

Don't believe me? Almost everyone in America is still using IPv4, while other countries are using IPv6.

America is behind its time...

I don't even want to get into a argument.

I need to shut up.

dmanrevived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 dmanrevived
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts
I think it'd be a pretty practical idea, but I think Microsoft would rather put HDMI on a new version and hope some of the first gen players will buy a new one.

What I don't understand is why can't they just make a HDMI adapter that fits in the existing slot. Surely it can handle the bandwidth? Then again I guess the adapters we're using now are analog... so it probably won't ever work...
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nosferatu
I think it'd be a pretty practical idea, but I think Microsoft would rather put HDMI on a new version and hope some of the first gen players will buy a new one.

What I don't understand is why can't they just make a HDMI adapter that fits in the existing slot. Surely it can handle the bandwidth? Then again I guess the adapters we're using now are analog... so it probably won't ever work...
dmanrevived
Yeah, as far as I know that output, and the scaler associated with it, is only capable of an analog output. The supposedly leaked shots of the new version show a different scaler (HANA vs ANA) which is assumed to be for digital output.
[HDMI to USB....

I'm not saying its impossible.....just saying it will never happen..

JohnWinger
So simply because you don't think they would do it (despite believing it is possible) you attempt to call me an idiot for suggesting it might be a worthwhile workaround? I think you can figure out what I think of you without me having to spell it out for you.
menduco76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 menduco76
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts

I've read that people want HDMI on their 360s about a billion times. I've also read that the 360 has no digital output capability when it comes to the video (hence why in ver. 2 mockups there's even a new scaling chip). I was wondering if a possible solution to this, without making current 360 owners buy new machines, might be to run the video signal out through the USB ports to a small device which could then output an HDMI signal.

Since the USB would be putting out a digital signal I can't imagine it would be that complicated to convert it properly. The fact that the HD-DVD drive connects via USB proves that it is capable of the bandwidth necessary for such a signal. I would think that you could install a firmware/software update like you do with the HD-DVD drive to get this feature working.

I guess the only factor that would prove to be the downfall of this idea is its feasibility: both conceptually and financially. Would such a conversion from a digital USB signal to an HDMI capable signal even be possible? If it is, would processing the video signal on the processor (which I would think would be necessary to output via USB) kill too much processor power? Lastly would it be possible to do this economically (eg: I'm sure most people who want this would rather pay $50 for the addon than $400 for a new console)?

nosferatu

the xbox 360 has had a scaling chip inside it since day one.  I have read a couple articles about it...dont remember where they were, but if i did i would post them here.  But trust me, thats why the xbox 360 hasnt had the problems that the PS3 has had with resolutions.  Thats why it can take a 720p game and upscale it succesfully to 1080p with a simple firmware update...the chip has always been there my friend.  The only thing it is missing is HDMI....most people dont even have 1080p tvs...and those that do often times have a VGA input which can work with the HD DVD drive from what I undetstand

In reality...the whole 1080p thing is blown way out of proportion thanks to the wonderful people at $ony and their arrogant hype machine.  1080p is not an issue for me, nor is it an issue for millions of other people who dont have HDTVs that can go that high. 

dreamscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dreamscott
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
Yeah, and if you do have a 1080P HDTV, then you can still use the VGA or sometimes even component outs..
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nosferatu
the xbox 360 has had a scaling chip inside it since day one.  I have read a couple articles about it...dont remember where they were, but if i did i would post them here.  But trust me, thats why the xbox 360 hasnt had the problems that the PS3 has had with resolutions.  Thats why it can take a 720p game and upscale it succesfully to 1080p with a simple firmware update...the chip has always been there my friend.  The only thing it is missing is HDMI....most people dont even have 1080p tvs...and those that do often times have a VGA input which can work with the HD DVD drive from what I undetstand

In reality...the whole 1080p thing is blown way out of proportion thanks to the wonderful people at $ony and their arrogant hype machine.  1080p is not an issue for me, nor is it an issue for millions of other people who dont have HDTVs that can go that high. 

menduco76

Yeah, I've already mentioned that it has a scaling chip....it's the fact that it only scales an analog signal (whereas HDMI, DVI, etc are digital). Thus you would be outputting a digital signal through an analog chip which is not possible. VGA, on the other hand, is an analog signal and that's why there is no issue with using a VGA cable. My thought is that you should have the option to run your signal to your TV however you see fit and MS should make the HDMI/DVI option available to those who want it (a seemingly growing and somewhat vocal group). My thoughts here were simply an attempt to come up with a mechanism which would not require you to purchase a whole new 360.

I know that 1080p sets aren't really all that common at the moment and that the games aren't being rendered in 1080p yet anyway, but I still believe the option should be there for those who want it. I also understand that the big HD difference is the 480i --> 720p jump and that visually 1080p is only a minor upgrade for most TVs (because most people don't have 60"+ TVs).

My original point had nothing to do with whether or why they should make HDMI available to the 360, it was solely about whether this particular mechanism, using a USB output to an external HDMI converter, would be a possible or economical mechanism through which to do it.