Hd-Dvd drive question..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GoreObsessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GoreObsessed
Member since 2004 • 8883 Posts
To anyone who owns one of these... I was wondering, besides of course playing hd-dvd's does it upscale normal dvd's? If so how much better do they look??
genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 genfuyung
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts
no it doesnt. the 360 outpts dvds at 480p. do NOT get a hd dvd drive for the 360. it has lots of problems with laggy audio. wait till they release an update for it then get it. Or get a toshiba hd dvd play i believe the newest is the xa2 it outputs dvds at 720 p and higher plus hd dvds are amazing. or wait for microsoft to adress the hd dvd player problems for their own player. though with the xbox 360 hd dvd player u cant watch hd dvds in 1080p which is quite a loss
butkis689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 butkis689
Member since 2003 • 1955 Posts
it can under certain circumstances. if your tv can't do 1080p through component, then you have to buy the VGA cables and it will upscale to 720p regular DVDs
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts
The 360 already upscales DVDs over VGA connection only, HD-DVD drive or no HD-DVD drive. DVDs will only play at 480p over component, for legal reasons. If you get an HD-DVD drive you can play HD-DVDs at 720p or 1080i over component, or upto 1080p with VGA. It will not play DVDs any different, but it will play them. I don't know if there are any problems with the drive and the 360 that one person said, but try going into the HD-DVD player area here to see if you find things like that:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Also, here's their main sticky 360 HD-DVD player thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748751

If you get a real Toshiba HD-DVD player (HD-A2), it will only upscale DVDs over a digital connection like HDMI or an adapter to turn HDMI to DVI, it won't over component and it does not have a vga connection.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
I've had mine since christmas and I haven't had any problems with it (the guy above talked about audio problems). It can do 1080p through VGA but the regular dvd's look the same to me. It's a good buy if you look for an offer, I got mine for $170 from buy.com and it had the free king kong, so it's probably the cheapest player you're gonna find out there.
jamesgj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 jamesgj
Member since 2005 • 1190 Posts

no it doesnt. the 360 outpts dvds at 480p. do NOT get a hd dvd drive for the 360. it has lots of problems with laggy audio. wait till they release an update for it then get it. Or get a toshiba hd dvd play i believe the newest is the xa2 it outputs dvds at 720 p and higher plus hd dvds are amazing. or wait for microsoft to adress the hd dvd player problems for their own player. though with the xbox 360 hd dvd player u cant watch hd dvds in 1080p which is quite a lossgenfuyung

The Hd-dvd player upscales dvds to full hd resolution. I do not get laggy audio works perfect, soundless, fast incredible picture on my 1080p projector. Yes you can watch Hd-dvds at a full native resolution of 1080p this only works via the VGA cable.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6161610/index.html

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TimothyB

[QUOTE="genfuyung"]no it doesnt. the 360 outpts dvds at 480p. do NOT get a hd dvd drive for the 360. it has lots of problems with laggy audio. wait till they release an update for it then get it. Or get a toshiba hd dvd play i believe the newest is the xa2 it outputs dvds at 720 p and higher plus hd dvds are amazing. or wait for microsoft to adress the hd dvd player problems for their own player. though with the xbox 360 hd dvd player u cant watch hd dvds in 1080p which is quite a lossjamesgj

The Hd-dvd player upscales dvds to full hd resolution. I do not get laggy audio works perfect, soundless, fast incredible picture on my 1080p projector. Yes you can watch Hd-dvds at a full native resolution of 1080p this only works via the VGA cable.

The HD-DVD player does not upscales DVDs, the 360 itself upscales dvds, it makes no difference if you put the DVD in the original internal DVD drive or in the and is sent over USB to the 360, the 360 is the player, not the HD-DVD drive.
elementfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 elementfx
Member since 2005 • 727 Posts
The hd-dvd player that I have had since around november has had no problem whatsoever and the picture is beautiful. I'm not sure if the 360 does any upscaling to normal dvds or not since my tv does upscaling of incoming signals all by it's lonesome self. Which most tv's with a 720p or higher resolution will do.
mulac2910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mulac2910
Member since 2004 • 826 Posts
I am really considering getting and HD-DVD player although I feel the DVDs themselves are still a little expensive.
genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 genfuyung
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts

[QUOTE="genfuyung"]no it doesnt. the 360 outpts dvds at 480p. do NOT get a hd dvd drive for the 360. it has lots of problems with laggy audio. wait till they release an update for it then get it. Or get a toshiba hd dvd play i believe the newest is the xa2 it outputs dvds at 720 p and higher plus hd dvds are amazing. or wait for microsoft to adress the hd dvd player problems for their own player. though with the xbox 360 hd dvd player u cant watch hd dvds in 1080p which is quite a lossjamesgj

The Hd-dvd player upscales dvds to full hd resolution. I do not get laggy audio works perfect, soundless, fast incredible picture on my 1080p projector. Yes you can watch Hd-dvds at a full native resolution of 1080p this only works via the VGA cable.

try watching batman begins
jamesgj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jamesgj
[QUOTE="jamesgj"]

[QUOTE="genfuyung"]no it doesnt. the 360 outpts dvds at 480p. do NOT get a hd dvd drive for the 360. it has lots of problems with laggy audio. wait till they release an update for it then get it. Or get a toshiba hd dvd play i believe the newest is the xa2 it outputs dvds at 720 p and higher plus hd dvds are amazing. or wait for microsoft to adress the hd dvd player problems for their own player. though with the xbox 360 hd dvd player u cant watch hd dvds in 1080p which is quite a lossTimothyB

The HD-DVD player does not upscales DVDs, the 360 itself upscales dvds, it makes no difference if you put the DVD in the original internal DVD drive or in the and is sent over USB to the 360, the 360 is the player, not the HD-DVD drive.

The Hd-dvd player does upscale dvds you can clearly see with a 150inch screen.

Q: Will the HD DVD player upconvert current DVD titles

A: If you use component cables, the player will not upconvert DVD titles. If you connect a VGA cable between the 360 and the TV set, you can upconvert your DVD titles to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p - depending on what your TV supports

http://www.krunker.com/2006/11/12/xbox-360-hd-dvd-player-review/

jamesgj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jamesgj
[QUOTE="jamesgj"]

[QUOTE="genfuyung"]no it doesnt. the 360 outpts dvds at 480p. do NOT get a hd dvd drive for the 360. it has lots of problems with laggy audio. wait till they release an update for it then get it. Or get a toshiba hd dvd play i believe the newest is the xa2 it outputs dvds at 720 p and higher plus hd dvds are amazing. or wait for microsoft to adress the hd dvd player problems for their own player. though with the xbox 360 hd dvd player u cant watch hd dvds in 1080p which is quite a lossgenfuyung

try watching batman begins

Well actully I own that movie looks very good.

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TimothyB
[QUOTE="TimothyB"][QUOTE="jamesgj"]

The Hd-dvd player does upscale dvds you can clearly see with a 150inch screen.

Q: Will the HD DVD player upconvert current DVD titles

A: If you use component cables, the player will not upconvert DVD titles. If you connect a VGA cable between the 360 and the TV set, you can upconvert your DVD titles to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p - depending on what your TV supports

http://www.krunker.com/2006/11/12/xbox-360-hd-dvd-player-review/

That's only saying if you put in a DVD into the HD-DVD player it will play and upscale exactly the same as if you put it in the DVD drive, there is no difference between the two. You don't have to buy the HD-DVD drive to upscale DVDs, and it has no benefit over the DVD drive for DVDs.

And again, the HD-DVD is just a drive, a plain drive, like if you bought a DVD drive to install in a computer, it just reads, nothing else. This mean the drive does NOT upscale, it doesn't have any video processing chips or decoding features, it is the 360 that is the player, so it makes no difference if the DVD is read from the HD-DVD drive or the internal DVD drive, not like one specially enhances the data over the other. The data that comes from the HD-DVD drive is exactly the same as the data off the DVD drive when reading DVDs, it's the 360 that decodes and upscales the video.

In the end, yes the HD-DVD drive can play DVDs, so thus you have the same upscaling abilities as if you played it in the DVD drive.