HD DVD Add on for 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by WWIAB (4352 posts) -

I have just purchased myself a new High-Def Tv for my bedroom, it is a Goodmans 19inch Widescreen with component and HDMI, Now I am thinking about purchasing myself a HD DVD add on? the Tv will only go as high as 1080i, if I put it up to 1080p on dashboard it goes all wonky and distorted

Is the HD DVD add on still worth buying if it only goes up to 1080i

or is a HDMI DVD player better, I heard they upscale standard DVDs to 1080i and are about £70 for a Goodmans

unfortunately I di not get much time to spend with my new Tv as I booted up the Rainbow six Demo in 1080i, A dead pixle emerged in the center of the screen, but I will have a new one 2morrow,

can I please have some opinions,

and please do not complain about the size of the tv it was a mere £200 and is the perfect size for my bedroom, if you are interested I will put up the URL for the website, I bought it from the store

Thanks

#2 Posted by WWIAB (4352 posts) -
oh and I forgot to mention, i am going to wait about 3-4 months until the price of films drops, I wont pay £25 for a film, £20 yes if it is double disc
#3 Posted by butkis689 (1955 posts) -
as much as i support HD-DVD (since i bought the add on), you should not get it. your tv is only 19 in, so there would be a difference but nothing worth spending $200 US on IMO.
#4 Posted by WWIAB (4352 posts) -
really?, how about HDMI DVD players, if the price of the add on drops to around £80-£90 (most unlikely) I will buy one but that could take years and if I buy one and blu ray wins, I have a paperweight
#5 Posted by JohnWinger (1903 posts) -

really?, how about HDMI DVD players, if the price of the add on drops to around £80-£90 (most unlikely) I will buy one but that could take years and if I buy one and blu ray wins, I have a paperweightWWIAB

This is the Xbox 360 forum.

What does HDMI or DVD players anything to do with 360?

#6 Posted by butkis689 (1955 posts) -
if I buy one and blu ray wins, I have a paperweightWWIAB
\

that's the risk i had to take, and im starting to wish i hadn't taken it. I see more and more blu-ray titles and less HD-DVD titles. if you're really on the fence and can't decide i say just wait until there is a winner, but that could be a long time.
#7 Posted by Playerpat0 (1686 posts) -
really?, how about HDMI DVD players, if the price of the add on drops to around £80-£90 (most unlikely) I will buy one but that could take years and if I buy one and blu ray wins, I have a paperweightWWIAB
If you want an HDMI upscaling DVD player, get the add on. Don't wastemoney on something with less features. Yea your TV at 19 inches isn't really worth it, but the HD add on plays HD-DVDs and upscales DVDs. Do you have surround sound? If not then IDk... b/c HD-DVDs have different and better audio mixes as well, but no Surround sound would make that feature pointless as well.
#8 Posted by Playerpat0 (1686 posts) -
[QUOTE="WWIAB"] if I buy one and blu ray wins, I have a paperweightbutkis689
\

that's the risk i had to take, and im starting to wish i hadn't taken it. I see more and more blu-ray titles and less HD-DVD titles. if you're really on the fence and can't decide i say just wait until there is a winner, but that could be a long time.

Don't worry. Players will be out in 2007 in Japan that play BOTH formats. You can enjoy one format now, and then if it loses by the player that plays both formats. Either way you are safe. Besides HD-DVD has the better quality. Disney is going to start supporting HD-DVD and there are rumours of Lionsgate aswell. So unless you are really nervous, there will be players that can do it all.
#9 Posted by jacksheets (1747 posts) -
Upscaling to 1080 does not mean it looks like it's HD, a common misconception.
#10 Posted by WWIAB (4352 posts) -

[QUOTE="WWIAB"]really?, how about HDMI DVD players, if the price of the add on drops to around £80-£90 (most unlikely) I will buy one but that could take years and if I buy one and blu ray wins, I have a paperweightJohnWinger

This is the Xbox 360 forum.

What does HDMI or DVD players anything to do with 360?

I was mentioning it along with the 360 HD DVD add on, most people on the 360 forum know what they are on about,and its busier than other forums, quicker response I found a HDMI DVD player for about £40, but until I get my TV back, Im gonna think about it, make a decision nearer my birthday June 29th, my parents offered me a HD DVD add on as a present, with any 2 films for £160, from gamestation thanks for the info, Keep posting I am still interested in HDMI DVD players though
#11 Posted by WWIAB (4352 posts) -
Upscaling to 1080 does not mean it looks like it's HD, a common misconception.jacksheets
so how does it work?
#12 Posted by charomid (894 posts) -
where did you hear that disney and lionsgate are going to start supporting hd dvd because that would be awesome but i have not heard that anywhere? confirm this plz
#13 Posted by WWIAB (4352 posts) -
Ive heard it before, but I cannot confirm, sorry may just be a rumour
#14 Posted by teebeenz (4362 posts) -
Disney was part of the core companies who started bluray.
#15 Posted by WWIAB (4352 posts) -
Disney was part of the core companies who started bluray.teebeenz
are you sure? maybe they are doing both? Disneys sales have gone down the pan
#16 Posted by steve_89 (790 posts) -
its a risky move man. blueray has doubled hd hddvd sales for the past 2 months.
#17 Posted by weggles (281 posts) -
its a risky move man. blueray has doubled hd hddvd sales for the past 2 months.steve_89
The sales are so low for both formats it is kind of irrelivant. If one sells 2000, and the other 4000, while Standard def sells like 100 000, it doesnt really make much of a difference. It'll really matter when a format is close to or surpasses DVD. Untill then, whne they are both in the low 1000's, no format is "Winning" when they both are doing bad