Having trouble with DNS Test: Failed on 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IdiotsWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IdiotsWrath
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts
I have a MSN DSL modem, but I acually use Adelphia Cable Internet Service. Whenever I test the connection on my 360, the DNS test fails. I already tried power cycling, but it didn't make any difference.
Bombed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bombed420
Member since 2002 • 230 Posts
hey I had the similar problem, so what I do is plug in my ethernet cable into the xbox then recycle the modem before u turn on the xbox. For some reason my modem needs to fully recycle with all the lights before I can play on live. Usually if I try and play before all the lights turn back on I get the DNS error. So hope that helps.
IdiotsWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 IdiotsWrath
Thanks, I'll try that.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts
It's been doing that to me for like 3 months! I can't fix it at all. Power cycle doesnt work. Nothing does, I have a d-link.
thepoop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thepoop7
Member since 2003 • 1391 Posts
I have a DNS as well , my problem is that when i sign on into xox live , it will disconnect me shortly after signing on. I solved the problem by hooking my 360 directly to the modem.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Southwind20C
Member since 2006 • 554 Posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817748/en-us http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908884/en-us Try those two links.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MickeyTheNinja
^^I've tried those things before and I don't get what the hell they're talking about. I think I need to find my DNS code cause but I can't find it from my ISP. I have Comcast.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MickeyTheNinja
Bump, I need to get this crap fixed bad.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Southwind20C
You need to have some basic knowledge of modems and routers. You need to access your router to find all your DNS settings, then put them into the Xbox manually. To do this go to start ---> run ---> type command when command prompt opens up (MSDOS) type ipconfig you'll get 4 tings that pop up it'll look like Connection specific DNS-suffix : (An IP or in my case launchmodem.com) IP Address: Your ip will be in the form 000.000.000.000 SubnetMask: Another IP it's usually 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: Another IP I can't remember which it is to access your modem. I think it's the Default Gateway, you need to use that IP to access your router and find your DNS settngs.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MickeyTheNinja
I got the black screen up and see everything but what do i do after that?
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Southwind20C
open up IE or whatever internet broweser you use, and type those IPs into the url bar. Just like you were going to go to a website. I can't remember which IP it is, but try them all till you get something to pop up. It'll give you page not found errors if it isn't the right one.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MickeyTheNinja
non of them worked Connection specific DNS-suffix: hsd1.va.comcast.net. IP Address:  SubnetMask: 255.255.252.0 Default Gateway: 71.63.96.1
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Southwind20C
Did you type the top one? the hsd1.ca.comcast.net. Edit that and take your IP address off, it's never good to post it to other people.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MickeyTheNinja
hsd1.va.comcast.net. doesnt work
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Southwind20C
Weird. What kind of modem do you have? Do you use a router? What's your setup? You have comcast, do you use a router?
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MickeyTheNinja
The router is a d-link-802.11g/2.4GHz
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Southwind20C
What modem?
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Southwind20C
What modem?Southwind20C
Here's something to try, there's a button on the back of all routers and modems, they reset all the default settings. Get a pin (you need something small to access it) and press the button in, hold it in until you see all your lights cycle. Then repeat the step above. If this doesn't work, you're going to want to call your ISP to find out how to access your modem.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MickeyTheNinja
Terayon TJ 715x
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MickeyTheNinja
[QUOTE="Southwind20C"]What modem?Southwind20C
Here's something to try, there's a button on the back of all routers and modems, they reset all the default settings. Get a pin (you need something small to access it) and press the button in, hold it in until you see all your lights cycle. Then repeat the step above. If this doesn't work, you're going to want to call your ISP to find out how to access your modem.

I've done that but ill do it again, after I do that what step do i do? Put in hsd1.va.comcast.net.?
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Southwind20C
Terayon TJ 715xMickeyTheNinja
The Terayon TJ 715 Has no web interface, that's why you can't access it. Turn on your xbox and under the DNS settings try changing it to "auto"
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MickeyTheNinja
It's on auto and i've gotten on Xbox Live before it's just after Apdelphia merged with Comcast i've had a DNS problem.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Southwind20C
If that doesn't work, connect the xbox directly to the modem, this'll require you plugging the xbox directly into the ethernet port of the modem, don't conenct through the router. If it passes the DNS test through that, we need to configure your router.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MickeyTheNinja
If that doesn't work, connect the xbox directly to the modem, this'll require you plugging the xbox directly into the ethernet port of the modem, don't conenct through the router. If it passes the DNS test through that, we need to configure your router.Southwind20C
There is only 1 port on my modem and it's used for the internet.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Southwind20C
Yes I know, what your'e going to do, is take the cord out of the ethernet port, and move your xbox from your router to that port. It'll drop your internet, but you need to do this to test the DNS directly through the modem. Plug it in, run the test, then hook everything back up the way you had it. Your setup should be, you have a coaxil cable that twist into the modem, this is your actual connection, then you have an ethernet port running from your modem to the ethernet slot in your router. Then I assume you have it wireless for your computer, and a ethernet plugged into the router for the xbox, correct? You want to take the ethernet cable and plug it in directly from the modem to the xbox, and test your dns connection. If it comes back ok, then you need to plug everything back in the way it was, let me know, and we'll set up your router.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MickeyTheNinja
Ok when I did the test the Ip adress failed...I hate this...
GhostRiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GhostRiderMike
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
i had the same problem for weeks then i called my friend to come over and all he did was test the connection and it worked ever since it was pretty weird cuz he didnt to anything and it worked
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Southwind20C
Go do it again, but this time reset your network connections inside your xbox to default settings, this'll reset the ip address inside the xbox, it's using the one the router assigned to it right now, then re-run the test.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MickeyTheNinja
Go do it again, but this time reset your network connections inside your xbox to default settings, this'll reset the ip address inside the xbox, it's using the one the router assigned to it right now, then re-run the test.Southwind20C
Ok want me to plus the internet cord from my modem into my xbox and then set to default?
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Southwind20C
Yes, then test your connection
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MickeyTheNinja

I put the ethernet into the modem and my Xbox did default and put in the codes from the black screen and the IP worked just not the DNS. Now what?

EDIT: oops i just did the internet cord from my modem to Xbox and had it on manual and the IP failed still

MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MickeyTheNinja
I just did the internet cord to my Xbox again and did automatic and IP failed.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Southwind20C
Ok so now we know it's your modem causing the DNS to fail and not your router, we need to find out how to get the DNS settings off your modem. Put those IPs from the "black screen" (it's called MSDOS for future referene) into your IP so the ip test passes, and we'll work through the rest, give me some time to look up your modem specs.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Southwind20C
Ok, so turn your DNS settings to manual and under the "primary DNS server" enter the IP that is beside "gateway" on that black screen, then try to run the test again
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MickeyTheNinja
Ok so now we know it's your modem causing the DNS to fail and not your router, we need to find out how to get the DNS settings off your modem. Put those IPs from the "black screen" (it's called MSDOS for future referene) into your IP so the ip test passes, and we'll work through the rest, give me some time to look up your modem specs.Southwind20C
K so want me to just hook my ethernet cord to my Xbox now? When I do that the IP is confirmed just not the DNS. When it's on automatic.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Southwind20C
Alright as long as the IP is confirmed your good. and yeah do the ethernet cord to xbox, then change those DNS settings to how I said in the post above. Turn the DNS to manual then enter your gateway ip manually into the Primary Dns server area. then run the test.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MickeyTheNinja
Alright as long as the IP is confirmed your good. and yeah do the ethernet cord to xbox, then change those DNS settings to how I said in the post above. Turn the DNS to manual then enter your gateway ip manually into the Primary Dns server area. then run the test.Southwind20C
Did and still failed.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
I have a MSN DSL modem, but I acually use Adelphia Cable Internet Service. Whenever I test the connection on my 360, the DNS test fails. I already tried power cycling, but it didn't make any difference.IdiotsWrath
All i can think of is to reset your modem and router because thats happened to me before and all i had to do was reset.

P.S. XBL does not mix well with manual settings unless you really know what your doing all you should have to do is have an XBL compatible router and the firmware xbox.com says goes with the router and you should be set.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Southwind20C
You had it plugged up directly? Alright, so what you need to do is call Comcast, because you cannot access your modem you're going to need to ask them for the DNS Ip information and plug that into there. Go ahead and hook everything back up the way you had it, call comcast, and explain your problem. You'll get it solved faster that way. Explain to them your modem doesn't have a web access panel so you need the DNS info for your 360. Sorry I couldn't be any help. I tried. =/
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MickeyTheNinja
You had it plugged up directly? Alright, so what you need to do is call Comcast, because you cannot access your modem you're going to need to ask them for the DNS Ip information and plug that into there. Go ahead and hook everything back up the way you had it, call comcast, and explain your problem. You'll get it solved faster that way. Explain to them your modem doesn't have a web access panel so you need the DNS info for your 360. Sorry I couldn't be any help. I tried. =/Southwind20C
I have my ethernet cord plugged into the router and the IP is confirmed just not the DNS. Anything else I should try ot just call Comcast and ask for my DNS number?
madcapper248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 madcapper248
Member since 2005 • 1842 Posts
First thing I can reccomend is update the firmware for the router.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Southwind20C
When you put in the IP into the DNS do it the same way, from modem to xbox, then if it doesn't work with the test, call comcast.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Southwind20C
bump
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MickeyTheNinja
Oh well, i'm just gunna call Comcast tomorrow. If that doesn't work (i'll break my Xbox) i'll make a topic. Thank's for the help as of now.
Southwind20C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Southwind20C
No problem. I think Comcast has 24 hour tech support, you could call them tonight if you wanted. Bellsouth does, that's what I use, Bellsouth's internet works fine with me because my modem is a wirless modem/router and does all the work with one intermediary and not two, so I don't have this problem. But when I took my xbox to my uncles, he has comcast (bought out by time warner now) and I had DNS problems. It seems boxes have more problems with cable, though it is the better connection.
IdiotsWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IdiotsWrath
I called 1-800-4-MYXBOX and they told me to power-cycle for 10 full minutes, or restore factory defaults. Those didn't work, and I don't have a personal Adelphia account (my mom does), so I'm out of ideas.Â