Halo: The Master Chief Collection

This topic is locked from further discussion.

willre00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 willre00
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts

How do you switch between the new and old graphics?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's a single button press.

The select button, or back button...whatever that's now called ("View" I think). Honestly, there was no need to change the names of the buttons to symbols, but whatever. I'd prefer words for the buttons, if anything for situations like this. I can't just come into a room and say the View button and not expect the TC to ask what button that is. So, here's a much longer response in anticipation of the questions. The new Xbone buttons seem to do the exact same thing they did the last two generations when they were called 'back/select and start' because developers treat the buttons the same.

I'm not sure if that is what caused you confusion (you eventually get used to any controller with enough time), but here's an article on those two specific buttons with the symbols (instead of names):

The Xbox One's Controller Buttons Don't Make Enough Sense

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-ones-controller-buttons-dont-make-enough-sense-1604938350

The View button, however, is a debacle. It's not being used consistently, and it's not really being used well anywhere other than in Crimson Dragon. It's a rebelliously-labeled button that has no good cause.

There is more in the article with lots of pictures and history of the Start and Select button if you are interested.

---

As far as the actual HD toggle feature in the MCC game? I found it was sort of a five minute novelty. You push the button a few times, you look around, then play with the new graphics. Then you come to eventually forget the feature and just get immersed in the game. Unfortunately, there was a price to pay for the HD toggle mode....a loss in graphics, specifically one title: Halo 2. Halo 2 is not in 1080p due to this HD toggle feature being enabled (read more about that here [linky]). I will be the first to say, that this is not the end of the world, but I would have preferred to lose the mode and get higher resolution if I had my druthers.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

@SolidTy: that's a shame, I'd of taken better graphics than the novelty of toggling between new and old graphics, wish there was a feature to disable it to get that boost. Hope they would consider disabling it in the future to give it a nice performance boost.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolidTy

@lamprey263 said:

@SolidTy: that's a shame, I'd of taken better graphics than the novelty of toggling between new and old graphics, wish there was a feature to disable it to get that boost. Hope they would consider disabling it in the future to give it a nice performance boost.

I completely agree. That was my assessment when I first found out the news about Halo 2 as well. Keep the new graphics toggle for those that want it, for others, just let them disable the mode and get a bump in resolution, that 1080p goodness.

willre00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 willre00
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts

@SolidTy: That was a great answer and my question (which you answered) was toggling between the HD graphics. Thanks for your help!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidTy

@willre00 said:

@SolidTy: That was a great answer and my question (which you answered) was toggling between the HD graphics. Thanks for your help!

Awesome! You made my day. Someone that can appreciate a great answer!

I'm glad I could help. Happy gaming! :P