Halo 4 campaign/disc is busted? (SOLVED)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I picked up Halo 4 before Christmas and finally sat down to play campaign tonight... had to stop when the prologue cutscene started looping. Even after manually skipping, it kept looping so I restarted my Xbox. I tried installing disc 1 (disc 2 was already installed, and I'd played a few hours of multiplayer in December) but even still the cutscenes continued to loop. I was able to select the level Dawn and then THAT cutscene began to repeat. Still haven't seen any gameplay yet.

Did anyone else have this issue, or have a workaround I'm not getting? Some people said campaign failed to load for them, and while a couple of times I was returned to the main menu, it's mostly just the cutscene looping issue. I haven't come across any other posts about this, so I'm wondering if this is a unique problem.

Thanks.

EDIT - Removed HDD and just used the 4GB storage unit and seems to be working great.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
looks like you got a fake copy of it,get a replacement
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sharpie125

:? I got it at Costco. Multiplayer works totally fine. But I guess I'll go look for the receipt. Thanks.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

looks like you got a fake copy of itSmashbrossive50

:|

:lol:

-

Is the disc scratched at all? What model Xbox are you using?

Seeing as it's a first-party game, MS offer a replacement disc scheme for very cheap. Details should be located on the back of the manual, or failing that, on the Xbox website somewhere. 

If it's not a scratched disc, I really don't know. Depending on how old your Xbox is, it could be the machine itself. Halo 4 is quite graphically intensive and that may be putting a strain on the hardware, but I don't know why it would loop. Really strange.

Your disc may have an isolated bug of some description, which again, could be solved with the aforementioned disc replacement.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

You might have just gotten a bad disc. If you can, try and test it out on another 360 and see if the same problem occurs. If you can't, see if you can return it for a new copy.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

This is a well known issue and 343 has yet to roll out a patch to fix this. I'm sitting in that very same boat as well and changing my disc did nothing to remedy it so I have just been sitting here for months with a $60 paperweight.

Halo 4 Known Issues

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

This is a well known issue and 343 has yet to roll out a patch to fix this. I'm sitting in that very same boat as well and changing my disc did nothing to remedy it so I have just been sitting here for months with a $60 paperweight.

Halo 4 Known Issues

ZimpanX

It is a little ridiculous, it must be a rare enough problem that they're just not very concerned about it. They should be though...

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sharpie125

Halo 4 Known Issues

ZimpanX

I did see this thread, but most of the issues were people complaining that the game didn't load because some players were lacking DLC (even though they were playing local co-op). The cutscenes just endlessly loop for me without ever getting to gameplay, so it at least loads that far. 

I really hope it's not my Xbox, either lol. I just bought it in October... it's the slim 4GB arcade version, and I bought a hard drive to stick in when I heard you needed to install Halo 4. And installing went perfectly fine for both discs.

But yeah, I'm going to head to Costco today and hopefully they'll let me have another copy.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

I did see this thread, but most of the issues were people complaining that the game didn't load because some players were lacking DLC (even though they were playing local co-op). The cutscenes just endlessly loop for me without ever getting to gameplay, so it at least loads that far. 

Sharpie125

That problem you're talking about it also mentioned it that thread and is the very same one I'm having, all I can watch is that cutscene and on top of that I can't even play multiplayer either, yhe game just freezes on the loading screen.

So yeah I have gotten zero seconds of gameplay from all modes of Halo 4 so far.

Unless they don't fix this soon I'm considering borrowing another Xbox from a friend or have a local co-op session at his place during a free weekend.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sharpie125

I got news!

So I exchanged the game but I got the same cutscene looping problem, then I tried taking out my HDD. It wanted me to install the 30 MB update, so I did on the 4GB storage. Loaded up campaign, and now it works flawlessly as far as I can tell. Played about 20 mins and everything seems fine.

Right now I'm waiting to redownload the system update that was on my HD and we'll see if the game still works. I have a feeling there is a disconnect between updates on the memory unit vs the HD.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Glad to hear it. 

Halo games and 4 gig Xboxes don't go well together (e.g. Reach)

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sharpie125

Glad to hear it. 

Halo games and 4 gig Xboxes don't go well together (e.g. Reach)

balfe1990

Yeah, jeez. That is what prompted me to buy a hard drive in the first place, wanting to play system link co op with my buds. But even though my HD was the root of the problem, I still had a really good time playing MP however many months ago so I don't regret buying one. I wonder if the game will just break if I put my HD back in now.

Anyway, MS (or 343) needs to pull it together. Thanks for all your guys' help, and see you around.

campos40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 campos40
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

im not too familiar with this game but im having the same problem. how do you update? do i need to have an xbox live account?