Hacked gamertag question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
Okay, my GT was hacked a few days ago and I no longer have any access to it. I contacted live support and thay said they would investigate it and I should contact them again in a couple of days. My question is, has anyone ever had their GT stolen/hacked and was able to successfully recover it with the help of Xbox live Support?
#2 Posted by gamer082009 (6679 posts) -
Okay, my GT was hacked a few days ago and I no longer have any access to it. I contacted live support and thay said they would investigate it and I should contact them again in a couple of days. My question is, has anyone ever had their GT stolen/hacked and was able to successfully recover it with the help of Xbox live Support?Soulreavercross
Wow, I've never had mine hacked but I get threatened literally almost daily on Xbox LIVE of getting mine hacked too. Mostly due to me and my strong personality in Gears of War 2. I'm curious if you had a second email address linked to your Windows Live account? Perhaps you could try and recover it from your second email. Other than that I don't see much you could possibly do without the assistance of Microsoft's Horrible Customer Support. Also, Microsoft needs a more secure way to secure peoples Xbox LIVE accounts, it seems a little ignorant to be so passive when it comes to peoples LIVE accounts which do contain allot of personal and financial info. To me, this can lead to future problems for Microsoft if they don't reevaluate how they keep peoples info secure. Also, I wonder how they hacked your account. Good luck never-the-less on getting your account back from those thieves!
#3 Posted by DPhunkT (1803 posts) -
That sucks, I seem to be reading more and more about the problem of hacked accounts. Why doesn't MS enforce more security, like a fail-safe question or something? It apparently seems to easy to call up MS and ask for a lost password. What the heck is going on? If someone forgets their password, then bully for them, they will have to make a new account.
#4 Posted by Darkslayer16 (3611 posts) -
If you get your account stolen you are basically screwed.. Microsoft at best will cancel the stolen one and give you free xbl to start over.
#5 Posted by Jdon2008 (465 posts) -

Yeah i was hacked about 2 years ago, and had to start all over again. it really sucks, and there was nothign microsoft could really do.

#6 Posted by wikkiwild1 (188 posts) -

This is a growing problem, I have read in xbox forums of ppl who get emails from various sources stating that they can get free MS points but have to log into their xbl account on the link given. This is a common ploy to steal your GT and personal info like your credit card. One person said he got one from Microsoft, but it was fake and had his gt stolen. Don't fall for free stuff like MS points, and give your account's password to anyone. Don't use your xbl account to log into another site.

#7 Posted by xgraderx (2395 posts) -
Okay, my GT was hacked a few days ago and I no longer have any access to it. I contacted live support and thay said they would investigate it and I should contact them again in a couple of days. My question is, has anyone ever had their GT stolen/hacked and was able to successfully recover it with the help of Xbox live Support?Soulreavercross
Chances are you screwed up,not Microsoft.(no offense)But alot of the hacked accounts are due to people giving out too much info online.Becarefull when people ask things about you and becarefull about the things Wikkiwild1 mentioned above.Microsoft cant protect you when you unknowingly make mistakes such as these.
#8 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]Okay, my GT was hacked a few days ago and I no longer have any access to it. I contacted live support and thay said they would investigate it and I should contact them again in a couple of days. My question is, has anyone ever had their GT stolen/hacked and was able to successfully recover it with the help of Xbox live Support?xgraderx
Chances are you screwed up,not Microsoft.(no offense)But alot of the hacked accounts are due to people giving out too much info online.Becarefull when people ask things about you and becarefull about the things Wikkiwild1 mentioned above.Microsoft cant protect you when you unknowingly make mistakes such as these.

This wasn't a flaw on my part. This was solely MS's doing because they cannot provide proper security for accounts. I know how the internet works, I know about account phishing, I know about scam links. I'm not an average internet user.
If you get your account stolen you are basically screwed.. Microsoft at best will cancel the stolen one and give you free xbl to start over.Darkslayer16
I suspected that much. XBL support was way to friendly and understanding, I suppose getting my account back was too good to be true. I can no longer find it anywhere so I suspect it has already been removed/deleted
#9 Posted by -eddy- (11443 posts) -
This is really something that scares me on XBL. Once you get a high GS you probably become a target. How much was you GS?
#10 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
[QUOTE="-eddy-"]This is really something that scares me on XBL. Once you get a high GS you probably become a target. How much was you GS?

A little over 41000. It's utterly frustrating if I have to loose all of it!
#11 Posted by II-FBIsniper-II (18067 posts) -
I don't think you'll be able to get your GT back. I know some people that take accounts and all they basically do is trick the customer support to resetting the email and password linked to the gamertag.
#12 Posted by KGB32 (4279 posts) -
8 times out of 10 when someone gets hacked the victim is actually helping them without knowing, dont share any info about yourself..no matter who you're talking to.
#13 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]If you get your account stolen you are basically screwed.. Microsoft at best will cancel the stolen one and give you free xbl to start over.Soulreavercross
I suspected that much. XBL support was way to friendly and understanding, I suppose getting my account back was too good to be true. I can no longer find it anywhere so I suspect it has already been removed/deleted

Not necessarily - I clicked the link on your profile to Skull Zoma - which comes up as invalid. What probably happened, if you had any MS points on it, was the hacker spent 800 of them to change the name to something else. That way nothing shows up when you type in your gamertag name, and it makes it much harder to trace. Of course it should be easy for MS since they can see the records. If you know the gamertags of people on your friends list, maybe someone here on GS, see if they still have your GT on their friends list. If you know roughly what the GS was you might be able to narrow it down - its easier to spot a 41k GS than it is a low score. While I fortunately have no personal experience of dealing with MS over getting an account back, if you can provide all of the original account details then they may be able to get it back for you. Not necessarily the details of the account when it was stolen, but of when it was created. For instance if at any time you changed the email address linked with it, and know the one you created the account with, it can help prove to MS that you are the owner, since there is no way a recent hacker would know the original info. Good luck in getting back.
#14 Posted by clyde46 (47438 posts) -
That sucks, I have heard of cases where people have had their accounts given back to them by MS. Soulja boy being one of them.
#15 Posted by Blueshooter08 (621 posts) -
Dude I feel bad for you... if the hacker had email & pass reset than its over for your GT :(
#16 Posted by XCyberForceX (1135 posts) -
I agree that MS needs to vamp up their security! When you lose your GS its like someone stole your paycheck. All that hard work and nothing to show for it!
#17 Posted by AsHeavenIsWide (247 posts) -

Future Reference majority of people use there main live account for there Gamertag (the one they use MSN messenger and sign up for websites like gamespot etc)

if you create an Live account just for your Gamertag you have got less chance of people phishing ya info or keylogging your MSN password

i doubt your the person who would fall for the whole free gamerpoints scam

#18 Posted by nascar1 (2763 posts) -

it's really ashame people have nothing better to do than to steal someone's GT...WHY?
i have someone on my friends list who just said someone stole his entire gamesave, cars, credits...from Forza 2 auction house, so he has to start the game completely over.

i know this isn't the same as loosing your GT but it's simular and just as unfortunate that it's even possible...this guy said he reported what happened to him to MS and they confirmed his account was tapered by someone under the GT of "conjge" (?) and last i heared from him he's not sure what MS can or will do about it?

MS better do something before this goes any further...i'm about ready to wipeout my friends list to people i know personally and if that's not enough and being online is going to be a gamble then XBL is going to loose alot of paying customers!

#19 Posted by Aaron89 (3377 posts) -

So we've come to the conclusion your Gamertag is gone; and I'm sorry for that.

The first thing that came to mind was phishing scams since it's the most common way of XBL account-theft, but you've already stated you are aware of that issue and it wasn't the cause. So ... exactly how did your account get hacked? It would be beneficial for us to know, so we can perhaps safeguard our own in the future. If it's against the rules here on Gamespot, I would definitely appreciate a private message outlining the situaition.

#20 Posted by Xternal (530 posts) -

41,000 gamerscore and it's gone. I'm on 16,500 and i'd be destroyed if someone stole my gamertag.
I feel for you. I hope the people who did this get caught. Soon enough people will have two accounts, one silver for gamerscore and one gold for online play :( sucks it has to be that way

-Richie

#21 Posted by VoodooHak (15989 posts) -

So we've come to the conclusion your Gamertag is gone; and I'm sorry for that.

The first thing that came to mind was phishing scams since it's the most common way of XBL account-theft, but you've already stated you are aware of that issue and it wasn't the cause. So ... exactly how did your account get hacked? It would be beneficial for us to know, so we can perhaps safeguard our own in the future. If it's against the rules here on Gamespot, I would definitely appreciate a private message outlining the situaition.

Aaron89

I'm also curious to see what the qualified definition of "hacked" is. Do you use a strong password on the passport account? On your email account? Do you use the same password on all of your online accounts/logins? Don't answer these questions here, but they're only a few of many things everyone should think about.

This falls into the rubrick of social engineering in my opinion, not necessarily a "hack", which in my eyes, involves the manipulation of code.

#22 Posted by range96 (1 posts) -
I had my Gamertag Hacked by some random dude who thought I was hacking in Halo3 Team Dubz. My account got hacked as soon i turned on my xbox the next day. I called XBL support and they said your account will be locked and Be investigated my The XBL fraud investigation team. They said you would get a e-mail that would help you in about 7 days. Now i waited 2 months and i Finally got the e-mail, then in the e-mail they said click on the link and it would help me reset my orignial windows live ID with my account. Then i been waiting 1 week for another F'kin e-mail. Oh yea from the time i got hacked to the time i recover my account back they give you the Xbox Gold membership in the time period your account was hacked and any MS points used are bought will be refunded.
#25 Posted by 1232543 (2 posts) -
yea it sucks but actually i talked to a xbl supervisor about my friends GT gettin hacked n she said u can actually press criminal charges on that person for evading personal content,theft n a couple of other things but thats if u really care about it to take it that far
#26 Posted by 1232543 (2 posts) -
yea hey about ur hackin thing u can press criminal charges since it is evadin persnal stuff n theft n **** u just call n tell the police i no cause i talked to a XBL supervisor about it
#27 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36985 posts) -
yea hey about ur hackin thing u can press criminal charges since it is evadin persnal stuff n theft n **** u just call n tell the police i no cause i talked to a XBL supervisor about it 1232543
good advice, the thread is over a year old...
#28 Posted by dvb2k (309 posts) -

It would be interesting to see if he got his GT back.