Gears of War - Sniper Rifle

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Raidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Raidea
Member since 2006 • 4366 Posts
The gun itself is great, I love it. But now I'm really trying to get good with it, the same problem keeps happening over and over again. I shoot a guy in the head, and the bullet hits the wall quite a way above him.

The only reason it's so annoying is that I know I'm lined up exactly on the guys head, but they just aren't hitting!

I mean, I'm sure it's a lag problem, but do any of you have this same problem, and have a work around to it? The only way I can see is to hold my shot for a millisecond longer, and that's going to get me killed.

Anyone care to comment?
Avatar image for christsassassin
christsassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 christsassassin
Member since 2002 • 112 Posts
this seems to only happen to me IF i try a head shot while moving around. I have no probs when in cover
BigMike9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 BigMike9699
Member since 2003 • 43 Posts
If you get shot while aiming, your gun drops, but I noticed it then for a quick second aims up as it the game I guess realigns your aim.  So maybe you are in this small frame of time.

This happened to me so much against RAAM.  Both with the sniper rifle, and also with the Torque Bow.. I would rev it up, get shot, and fire and it would miss him, and the Kryll would stay with him... BLAH!
Avatar image for gabriel_holguin
gabriel_holguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gabriel_holguin
Member since 2005 • 1214 Posts
Yea this happen to me also. I think it is all connection speed and ping from other players, Before i start every match i shot 1 shot at the ground to check my connection speed. But the weak is every player is running around on a different connection speed so there is a couple of players that get lucky and don't get there head blown off.

dxy592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dxy592
Member since 2006 • 1505 Posts

Every time I shoot the rifle when I'm not zoomed in, it zooms in for the split second when I squeeze the trigger and it misses. I only use the sniper for close combat now. It also does a lot of melee damage.

FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
Only happens when you move. Otherwise head = dead. Never happened to me before while not moving.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts
Every time I shoot the rifle when I'm not zoomed in, it zooms in for the split second when I squeeze the trigger and it misses. I only use the sniper for close combat now. It also does a lot of melee damagedxy592

Don't all the weapons do the same melee damage? No matter what weapon I use, it always takes 2 blows to down an opponent!?!?
dcap8424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 dcap8424
Member since 2006 • 806 Posts
[QUOTE="dxy592"]Every time I shoot the rifle when I'm not zoomed in, it zooms in for the split second when I squeeze the trigger and it misses. I only use the sniper for close combat now. It also does a lot of melee damageQuebecSuperstar

Don't all the weapons do the same melee damage? No matter what weapon I use, it always takes 2 blows to down an opponent!?!?

i think some of them take 3... maybe the hammer... maybe i'm just making this up
elmafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elmafia
Member since 2003 • 1490 Posts

[QUOTE="dxy592"]Every time I shoot the rifle when I'm not zoomed in, it zooms in for the split second when I squeeze the trigger and it misses. I only use the sniper for close combat now. It also does a lot of melee damageQuebecSuperstar

i think they do but some are faster than others and have better reach.

Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts
i think they do but some are faster than others and have better reach.elmafia

Really? I never noticed that!
elmafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 elmafia
Member since 2003 • 1490 Posts

[QUOTE="elmafia"]i think they do but some are faster than others and have better reach.QuebecSuperstar

i think its like that i always down people faster with the sniper or pistol. its always two hits but the time to make those two hits are much faster with the sniper or pistol compared to lets say shotgun.  

sophospeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 sophospeare
Member since 2003 • 443 Posts

[QUOTE="QuebecSuperstar"][QUOTE="elmafia"]i think they do but some are faster than others and have better reach.elmafia

i think its like that i always down people faster with the sniper or pistol. its always two hits but the time to make those two hits are much faster with the sniper or pistol compared to lets say shotgun.  

You are correct, the only weapons that don't take two melee hits to down (without your opponent being damaged already) are the Lancer (obviously), frags (again, pretty obvious), and the Hammer of Dawn (takes 3 hits). Some do have better melee reach (like the sniper rifle) and some seem to be a bit faster (like the pistol), and some make a cool sound when you hit your opponent (like the torque bow), but the damage is pretty much the same.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

la·ten·cy[leyt-n-see] –noun, plural -cies.
1. the state of being latent.
2. Computers. the time required to locate the first bit or character in a storage location, expressed as access time minus word time.

Try hosting your own game. That might help.

Raidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Raidea
Member since 2006 • 4366 Posts
Try hosting your own game. That might help.Generic_Dude

It does. It helps hugely. But I get a lot of complaints, probably because I'm English and Americans will get a lot more lag.

I've only ever hosted 1 match, but I had so much of an advantage it was just rediculous.
jdwollmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jdwollmann
Member since 2006 • 613 Posts
well i haven't played the actual game but i have seen my brother do some really great things in the game like kill a bot on two players and slaughter the bot, that was marvelous and also some of the best kinds of graphics display I've ever seen.
tenorio_rotc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 tenorio_rotc
Member since 2003 • 3447 Posts
Its like this for most games online because of lag.  Just learn to compensate.  I actually try to go for the neck, it hits them but sometimes it wont bust them open but it is better than missing most of the time.
dmckenna774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dmckenna774
Member since 2006 • 126 Posts
try aiming lower:)
dcap8424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 dcap8424
Member since 2006 • 806 Posts

la·ten·cy[leyt-n-see] –noun, plural -cies.
1. the state of being latent.
2. Computers. the time required to locate the first bit or character in a storage location, expressed as access time minus word time.

Try hosting your own game. That might help.

Generic_Dude

yeah hosting would help, but he's talking about shooting while moving i believe. it makes your shot do crazy stuff and go no where near where you aim.
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
Hammer takes 3 CHainsaw instand Shotgun, sniper, pistol same speed
Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cellien
Member since 2004 • 2280 Posts
Could be if some players have a slow connection.. causing lag in the game.
Raging-Cashew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Raging-Cashew
Member since 2006 • 866 Posts
it is not lag. You cannot move while shooting the sniper because your bullet will go everywhere cept where you aimed. You have to stand still or shoot from behing cover. I like it cuz you got to be real quick to get headshots. This sniper is not like the halo 2 one. Haha i cant tell you how long it took me to readjust from halo 2 to the gears of war sniper