GAMESPOT FEATURE: Xbone Year One Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Six minute video by Gamespot.com regarding the Xbone anniversary that just went LIVE TODAY. Brand new video:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-the-year-one-review/1100-6423669/

They had some things to say in the video:

Including talking about slow installs (which affected a Gamespot.com Live Stream ran late due to installing DLC).

One reviewer loved FORZA 5 and FORZA HORIZON 2 and felt those were worth it alone.

Gamespot.com also covered :

1. The shared multiplats that have released not on Wii U,
  2. They covered the TV integration,
  3. The use as a media device (Netflix HULU),
  4. Voice commands (the good and bad)
  5. SNAPPING
  6. Price Drops
  7. Multiplat performance vs. PS4
  8. Halo MasterChief Collection
  9. The Price Drops
  10. The incoming games for 2015

They covered the Xbone OS/UI as well in the video:

Lucy James found the Xbone UI difficult to navigate the UI with a controller and how you are forced to use Kinect shortcuts (if you have a Kinect model). She felt the interface was actively out to get her.

Kevin VanOrd (owns the Xbone) called the Xbone UI " a stupid mess". "It's More designed to advertise" to users than let him do the things he wants.

Seb Ford said the Xbone UI was Clumsy, confusing, snap isn't particularly intuitive...even changing settings is really frustrating.

Rob Crossley said the Xbone "Operating system and UI is so bad" and "atrocious" that he found M$'s team choices Genuinely shocking and fascinating. He can't believe how many bad decisions on the UI were allowed to be in the Xbone.

Cam Robinson said the Xbone UI needs to be completely redone for him to consider buying an Xbone instead of using the Xbone at the office.

There is also a giant article there as well to read after you watch the small video. Enjoy.

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

I love "snapping" lol Skyping and playing a game at the same time is an awesome feature!

I don't mind the UI. I only hate their store. It can be hard to find a game if it's not in the front page.

Overall I don't regret one bit buying my xbox one. Going to pick up forza whenever it's on sale, and looking forward to their 2015 releases, and exclusives.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidTy

@dhmatt90 said:

I love "snapping" lol Skyping and playing a game at the same time is an awesome feature!

I don't mind the UI. I only hate their store. It can be hard to find a game if it's not in the front page.

Overall I don't regret one bit buying my xbox one. Going to pick up forza whenever it's on sale, and looking forward to their 2015 releases, and exclusives.

Yes, 2015 looks to be a great year for gaming! :)

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i hate the ui, it's quite cumbersome and navigation is not intuitive at all...

other than that i bought it for the exclusives and i am having a blast... :D

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

My main two issues are the download speeds and the user-interface. Luckily I know the voice commands now to get what I want but I feel sorry for non-kinect users because navigating with controller to find things can be cumbersome. I think the tile/touch screen interface doesnt work well (kind of like using windows 8 if you dont have a touch screen enabled monitor, you're better off with classic view). Unfortunately we dont have an option to change views on the xbox one.

MS really need to make ui more friendly and easier to navigate sans kinect and download speeds (I know Phil has made this priority) need improvement.

Games, I'm happy with. I like co-op and multiplayer games and MS delivered on that front with its exclusives and multiplats(xbox one/pc shared multiplats)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

They really need to fix install speeds on games, it's pathetically slow.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidTy

@BigBadBully said:

My main two issues are the download speeds and the user-interface. Luckily I know the voice commands now to get what I want but I feel sorry for non-kinect users because navigating with controller to find things can be cumbersome. I think the tile/touch screen interface doesnt work well (kind of like using windows 8 if you dont have a touch screen enabled monitor, you're better off with classic view). Unfortunately we dont have an option to change views on the xbox one.

MS really need to make ui more friendly and easier to navigate sans kinect and download speeds (I know Phil has made this priority) need improvement.

Games, I'm happy with. I like co-op and multiplayer games and MS delivered on that front with its exclusives and multiplats(xbox one/pc shared multiplats)

You made great points, especially with the UI and DL speeds. I'd also add install slow speeds as well.

@BattleSpectre said:

They really need to fix install speeds on games, it's pathetically slow.

I agree. It's nuts this is the same company that created the Xbox 360.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I dislike the slow install speeds for games, I dont think thats excusable. Personally I like the UI. I dont understand how people are finding it complicated. The only area I would improve is the actual settings menu as its not always obvious which category the setting you wish to adjust would be located.

I always have my most played games and apps pinned for easy access, I know all of the voice commands, its really a very easy system to navigate considering how much is going on within it.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

Based on on-time in my man cave the X1 beat the P4 even though I bought my cross-platform games on P4. I find the P4 exclusives a bit "meh" while I got totally sucked into X1 stuff like DR3 and Horizon 2.

Both UI's stink but that is bound to happen as both companies would rather push ad's than make things easy for gamers. I agree that the X1 "pin feature" can help get around this somewhat.