Game(s) that didn't meet you expectations or live up to the pre-release hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by brh2010 (21 posts) -

Have there been any games that you were really excited about. Maybe you pre-oreded, followed the game for months, went to the midnight release, etc....only to discover the game was not at all what you were expecting? Maybe it was slow/boring/too short/not what they promised?

If so, what games pulled the bait and switch on you?

#2 Posted by brh2010 (21 posts) -

Sorry, should be your* expectations in the title.

#3 Posted by mrgab (23302 posts) -
Resident Evil ORC
#4 Posted by Cyanide4Suicid3 (783 posts) -
Halo 3 is the first one that comes to mind. I like it, but it was a huge disappointment for me. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is another one. Big RE fan, and a shooter fan in general so I thought this would be the Holy Grail of RE games... Hell no. Just NO.
#5 Posted by leathaltaco (204 posts) -

brink

the only reason i hated it was because the graphics didn't load

#6 Posted by Subtle_Ninja_X (35 posts) -
Any Fable game ever released. Great games to play but it didn't include a lot of the content that was promised by Mr. Molyneux.
#7 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3090 posts) -

The mojority of games never live upto expectation these days to be honest.. developers are full of hot air mostly, promising us this and that.. Then failing to deliver.

#8 Posted by Subtle_Ninja_X (35 posts) -

The mojority of games never live upto expectation these days to be honest.. developers are full of hot air mostly, promising us this and that.. Then failing to deliver.

DecadesOfGaming
Also this, but I have no choice but to play these games
#9 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Crysis 2. I thought it was going to be amazing, but the singleplayer really wasn't that special and the multiplayer is one of the worst experiences I've had on consoles. Completely turned me off from Crysis 3.

#10 Posted by The_Joker1721 (285 posts) -
Red Dead Redemption. I don't know I thought the game look really amazing when It was close to launch but when I finally got around to playing it it just didn't...click with me. I was disappointed by it; Hmm i'm pretty sure I have it somewhere so maybe another try would be in order. another game. Perfect dark. Just... disappointment everywhere.
#11 Posted by RoslindaleOne (7565 posts) -

Crysis 2. I thought it was going to be amazing, but the singleplayer really wasn't that special and the multiplayer is one of the worst experiences I've had on consoles. Completely turned me off from Crysis 3.

Vari3ty
My thoughts exactly.
#12 Posted by firefox59 (4369 posts) -
Any Fable game ever released. Great games to play but it didn't include a lot of the content that was promised by Mr. Molyneux.Subtle_Ninja_X
How about any game ever released by Peter Molyneux was a disappointment. I mean I did enjoy Fable 2 but it wasn't the spectacular vision of greatness I was hoping for.
#13 Posted by MaddenBowler10 (8820 posts) -
Crysis 2, Sequels to Assassin's Creed after ACII, Modern Warfare 3, Halo Reach(is fun, but doesn't feel like a true Halo game), The Witcher 2 on 360.
#14 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -
COD Modern Warfare 2 and Need for Speed Most Wanted
#15 Posted by Hells_rebelion (2877 posts) -
Diablo 3 comes to mind..... I wept
#16 Posted by Schreek (1636 posts) -

Brink

#17 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -
  • Fable II and III, but defenitely III. Fable as a franchise is mostly just promises that were never realized.
  • Diablo III
#18 Posted by mariokart64fan (19385 posts) -

2 that immediatlly come to mind , perfect dark zero

duke nukem forever!

these two both took 5 or more years to complete the first ended up with way less content then it should have had considering the hours put into it , its like they just spent the majority of the time scraping things from the concept , instead of making the actual game and for dnf well the levels were so bland and coupled with no features from the n64 version of duke nukem make for a frustrating expeirence i always liked zerohours time to kill and duke nukem 64s multiplayer modes ,

and n64s had a original feature of not having to exit a level to get to another one,

#19 Posted by MentatAssassin (3007 posts) -

I hate to admit it but Halo ODSTs really disappointed me. Still love Halo though.

#20 Posted by MrNuttyboh (137 posts) -

I hate to admit it but Halo ODSTs really disappointed me. Still love Halo though.

MentatAssassin

Yes ODST was dissapointing for me too.. wasn't much to it

#21 Posted by boredom_kills (190 posts) -

I played ODST ages after it came out and had read all the slagging it took before I decided to play it anyway... so based on what I'd read I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. For me though, Red Dead Redemption started off as a real let down - I played it right after I'd finished Fallout 3, and at first just couldn't forgive it for not being as open as Fallout 3 was. Once I let myself get over that though, I really enjoyed it.

I think the one game that this really happened to with me was Dead Space. It reviewed well, I know loads of people who played it and loved it, and on paper, it ticked all the boxes for me. I should have loved it... but I just couldn't. It just didn't do it for me. To this day, it's one of the few games on my shelf that I haven't seen the end of.

#22 Posted by Flubbbs (2993 posts) -

Rage

#23 Posted by Sandwich_Seeker (2 posts) -
Driver San Francisco was horrible was bored with it the same day I got it and returned it.
#24 Posted by mrgab (23302 posts) -

Rage

Flubbbs
Yeah this is another one. Short boring story, small map...
#25 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1148 posts) -
Rage Brink Fable games MW2 Gears 2
#26 Posted by sshaun22 (8 posts) -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GameChat/208256615907271?ref=hl
#27 Posted by st4rbuck (8 posts) -
Diablo 3 is the worst "end product" ever
#28 Posted by JoeJoeLaker (704 posts) -

Resident Evil ORCmrgab

Did you really expect that to be good?

#29 Posted by JoeJoeLaker (704 posts) -

Max Payne 3 and AC Revelations.

#30 Posted by mrgab (23302 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrgab"]Resident Evil ORCJoeJoeLaker

Well I did like previous RE games. This one had the ability to move and aim which was a plus. And I do like coop games, so YES... but oh well.
#31 Posted by MW2ismygame (2183 posts) -

For me it would be RE:ORC.

for gaming in general i would say DNF.

#32 Posted by MW2ismygame (2183 posts) -

JoeJoeLaker
I can under stand ACR because it was mostly stalling for ACIII, but Max Payne 3 ? from what i heard it was a very solid game.
#33 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

[QUOTE="JoeJoeLaker"]

MW2ismygame

I can under stand ACR because it was mostly stalling for ACIII, but Max Payne 3 ? from what i heard it was a very solid game.

Max Payne 3 was alright but incredibly overhyped. It's a pretty standard third-person shooter, and while the game has the unique bullet time feature which makes things more interesting, overall the game is pretty dull. I also don't know what it is about Rockstar games but the controls feel clunky compared to something like Gears or even the later Mass Effects. The completely uninteresting story didn't help things either.

#34 Posted by JoeJoeLaker (704 posts) -

[QUOTE="JoeJoeLaker"]

MW2ismygame

We waited 9 years for this game, and it didn't live up to the hype. The controls were clunky, and the story was predictable.

Still a pretty good game though.

#35 Posted by JoeJoeLaker (704 posts) -

[QUOTE="JoeJoeLaker"]

[QUOTE="mrgab"]Resident Evil ORCmrgab

Well I did like previous RE games. This one had the ability to move and aim which was a plus. And I do like coop games, so YES... but oh well.

Yeah, I like the previous RE games also, but this game from the start looked terrible:P

#36 Posted by JoeJoeLaker (704 posts) -

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"][QUOTE="JoeJoeLaker"]

Vari3ty

Max Payne 3 was alright but incredibly overhyped. It's a pretty standard third-person shooter, and while the game has the unique bullet time feature which makes things more interesting, overall the game is pretty dull. I also don't know what it is about Rockstar games but the controls feel clunky compared to something like Gears or even the later Mass Effects. The completely uninteresting story didn't help things either.

Yeah.. it's pretty strange that they make great games, but they can't make great controls.

Each one of their games feel the same. GTA IV, RDR, L.A. Noire, etc.

#37 Posted by wwervin (10257 posts) -
MW3 was a bit of a letdown. The story was ok, although a little over the top. The multiplayer was bland in my opinion. Black Ops was much more fun. They took away so much stuff from Black Ops that it felt like a stripped down version of it. Oh, and no zombies. Also the maps were kind of boring. Whoever said RDR was a letdown, you're crazy. That was one of the best games I've ever played.
#38 Posted by gr8scott (1008 posts) -
Mass Effect 3 was a game that fell way short of expectations. I've been a huge mass effect fanatic since I played ME1 on xbox. I've got the DLC for ME1 and all the DLC for ME2 (except character skins). I even bought the Collector's Edition of Mass Effect 2. I read 3 paperback books, and 2 comics. I bought merchandise from the Bioware store like a few shirts and a hat. So I was really buying into the whole "Take Earth Back" theme that Mass Effect 3 had. I had multiple save files all with unique decision I made from previous installments ready to go. I was so eager to see how many choices would affect the outcome of the game. I was under the impression that there were going to be 16 different endings and my choices throughout the series would have an impact on the finale. I got the Collector's Edition for Mass Effect 3, went to the midnight launch, and spent the next week playing through it. The rest I think is self explanatory. It's not that ME3 was a terrible game, but it wasn't a great game either. It was a decent game, but clearly the weakest entry in the trilogy. There were so many things done wrong in that game (more than just the crayola ending choice). I could list the reasons, but ME3 was bipolar in my view. For every thing it did good, it did something else poorly. Whereas ME1 and ME2 had their flaws, there was so much more positives than negatives. ME3 was about 50/50 with pros and cons. Ultimately it was a legendary fail that did not meet the hype.
#39 Posted by Frankenstrat247 (324 posts) -

SSX 2012. Biggest letdown in gaming for me.

#40 Posted by quasarwolf (242 posts) -
Mass Effect 3 for sure. It's the only game I was so excited about and started playing and was like WTF?