Game Recs for new gamer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

socult

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 socult
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to gaming on my Xbox and i'm just looking for some help with regards to picking a new game. In terms of what I like, I LOVED Assassins Creed 2. I bought AC3 but It frustrated me. I've played Red Dead Redemption but found it boring after a while. Additionally, I've played L.A. Noire but didn't have enough actual game play for me. So I guess now I don't know exactly what to buy next. Some of the titles I've looked at purchasing are: - Bioshock - Fable - Borderlands - Skyrim I guess I like things that lean towards fantasy but I'm sorry I can't give you more direction with what I want by specifying RPG or Open world etc. I'm still not entirely familiar with the terms. Although I do not like Warfare games such as Call Of Duty or MW3 etc. I'm open to any recs you guys might have and/or any advice. Thanks in advance, Jess.
samrules28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 samrules28
Member since 2005 • 458 Posts
Bioshock and Dishonored I would highly recommend. Both are fantastic games with great atmosphere and story and they do a good job of introducing new abilities and elements as the game progresses. Coupled with their engrossing stories this will definitely keep you hooked and dangle a carrot in front of you to keep you interested and keep it fresh so you won't get bored with it.
6_Shooter_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 6_Shooter_25
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts

First, a few questions:

• What did you love about Assassin's Creed 2?
  • What frustrated you about Assassin's Creed 3 that was different from 2?
  • What element do you think Red Dead Redemption was missing to keep your attention and keep you engaged?

It's just easier to make really solid recommendations if more information is given first. See, video games vary quite a bit from one to another - more than any other form of entertainment I'd wager - so I'd like to see how you answer these questions before I recommend something to you.

Avatar image for Saedius_Asicion
Saedius_Asicion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Saedius_Asicion
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

I would suggest Mass Effect. A very solid trilogy and the Trilogy pack is available for $60 now.

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts
Mass Effect Trilogy Fallout 3 & New Vegas Saints Row The Third, stupid crazy fun GTA IV Alan Wake

If you're into RPG's

Dragon Age 1 & 2 (though both, particularily 1 is better on the PC) The Witcher 2 Lost Odyssey Skyrim The latest version of your favorite sport (NHL 13, FIFA 13, ect) Bioshock is a very good buy, most say the second one is worse, but still worth getting If you do get Fable, don't get the third (I wouldn't even recommend the other 2) Start with those, then you can move onto the hidden gems :)
Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
You've a weird taste of games imo. You didn't like LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption and games like CoD (Okay, after many CoD's I can agree). What didn't you like in AC3? From the 4 games you've mentioned I might skip Fable. Fable 1 seems to be the best Fable in the serie. Skyrim, Bioshock and Borderlands (2) are good games that I deffinatly recommend to you. Some other games you could like are: Dishonored Darksiders Fallout 3 Mass Effect series Saints Row: The Third Dead Space serie
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Or you can skip all that jazz and hop on the "Kinect" bandwagon. Start with Kinect Adventures then Dance Central 3.
fatooosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 866

#8 fatooosh
Member since 2009 • 979 Posts
3 pack - LIMBO, Trials HD, Splosion Man http://www.amazon.com/pack-LIMBO-Trials-Splosion-Xbox-360/dp/B004QIY0Y4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360911982&sr=8-1&keywords=limbo Condemned Criminal Origins Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection dead space 1&2 The Orange Box Alan Wake Just Cause 2 forza 4 BioShock Ultimate Rapture Edition Darksiders Dark Sector
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
alan wake tales of vesperia blue dragon skyrim dark souls orange box gta iv dead spac series fallout 3&vegas
socult

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 socult
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Thanks for the response everyone. I really appreciate it. What I loved about AC2 was the way I could approach a mission from different angles. I liked that I could assassinate people in different ways, go all out on a killing spree or stay incognito. I liked mastering the different skills and I liked the hunt for the feathers and glyphs. Additionally I liked being able to level up my weapons and armour. I've had people critique me for that but hey, it's my experience so whatever. I had to work at certain levels again and again until I got through them. I couldn't just wing my way through it. As for AC3 I guess its in comparison to AC2 that I have decided I didn't like it. I had such high hopes for it. I didn't like that the free running was limited in it. I know you can still do it but I think it doesn't work as well. As for the hunting aspect they introduced, I think Red Dead Redemption did it better. Additionally little things like the horseback riding wasn't smooth and things like the trading/crafting stuff was complicated and frustrating compared to AC2's villa system. This probably makes me sound like a nitpicker but it just turned me off. It was just little things like this that frustrated me. As for Red Dead Redemption, I felt like there wasn't really much thinking needed to play the game. I could just walk into whatever situation and win. It didn't require me to try and learn anything new or really work at anything. So I guess Bioshock and Borderlands get a pretty high recommendation then?
Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Borderlands for sure!

Also, Saints Row The Third and GTA IV, Mafia II.

samrules28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 samrules28
Member since 2005 • 458 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't go with borderlands because I think it will become boring to you after a while. It's a great game but it can become a bit of a grind and you might feel you are doing the same thing over and over. From what you liked about AC2 I would think Dishonored is your best bet. You can play through the whole game without killing anyone or you can go all out and just destroy everyone. You can go about each mission in countless ways and you really feel like you have to use your head so it is very rewarding. I also think you will enjoy obtaining and mastering the new abilities along the way.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are going to hate Fable, Borderlands, and Skyrim, looking at your preferences. Try The Witcher 2. Best RPG on 360.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Or you can try the Batman Arkham Games. Its like AC 2 except Batman is a selfrighteous douchebag.
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to gaming on my Xbox and i'm just looking for some help with regards to picking a new game. In terms of what I like, I LOVED Assassins Creed 2. I bought AC3 but It frustrated me. I've played Red Dead Redemption but found it boring after a while. Additionally, I've played L.A. Noire but didn't have enough actual game play for me. So I guess now I don't know exactly what to buy next. Some of the titles I've looked at purchasing are: - Bioshock - Fable - Borderlands - Skyrim I guess I like things that lean towards fantasy but I'm sorry I can't give you more direction with what I want by specifying RPG or Open world etc. I'm still not entirely familiar with the terms. Although I do not like Warfare games such as Call Of Duty or MW3 etc. I'm open to any recs you guys might have and/or any advice. Thanks in advance, Jess.socult

Bioshock and Skyrim

The other two are "ok" but nothing to write home about.

Borderlands is good for co-op but single player not interesting.

Other suggestions :

R6 Vegas 1 & 2 (just get 1 for now, see how you like it. It's surprisingly good even if you don't like "war games" which I don't either. It's cheap so experiment.)

Dark Souls I didn't play but it's fantasy and scored 90+ so you might like it.

ALAN WAKE !

Um that's it