Flying with an Xbox One

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

I'm heading home for 3 weeks of leave on Friday and am taking my Xbox One with me, however I'm wondering what might be the best way to pack it. Do you think it'd be alright if I put it back in the box with those little carton things that covered the four corners and pack that in a suitcase surrounded by some clothes?

I know I should probably fly with it as a carry on, but I hate having carry on's other than my laptop bag. It's always a pain to get overhead storage and unless you can find storage right at your seat it makes getting off the plane a pain, especially with a connecting flight.

I've flown with my 360 a few times and usually just wrap it tight with clothes in a suitcase. It's never suffered damage but game cases have cracked. The box is a little bulky, I might even just wrap it in a couple layers of bubble wrap and put it in the suitcase.

What do you think?

I was also going to purchase trip insurance through USAA, but for baggage it has a per item limit of $250 coverage...

#2 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

Wrap it in bubble wrap and use the carton inserts that came with the original box. Personally I'd bring it with me as carry on just for peace of mind. It should be fine though.

#3 Posted by Solaryellow (463 posts) -

Are you aware how the system gets shipped to the states and then to either your home or a B&M store? If you pack it in the box and stuff it in a suitcase it should be fine provided you don't a baggage handler pretending he is competing in the discus event.

#4 Edited by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

Are you aware how the system gets shipped to the states and then to either your home or a B&M store? If you pack it in the box and stuff it in a suitcase it should be fine provided you don't a baggage handler pretending he is competing in the discus event.

That's what I figured, though when they're shipped to stores and such they should be stacked in pallets with lots of other boxes and wrapped tight so they're not really bangin around as much as a suitcase does. All of my suitcases have rips, dents or holes in them from baggage carriers somehow. I think I'm either going to put the cartons on it and try to wrap it tight with something and surround it with clothes in a duffle bag or put it in the box in a duffle bag if I have room. Hopefully it'll work out alright. I'm trying to avoid having a carry on if at all possible, I prefer just getting to my seat and not having to worry about the overhead storage clusterf****

#5 Edited by Solaryellow (463 posts) -

I think (or so I have been told) UPS delivers them to stores so it's somewhat comparable to shipping it in a suitcase. When I got mine from amazon it came in an over-sized box with one small air bladder in it and it made it perfectly fine even though it had some room to jostle around.