First Mercenaries 2 Review! Posted 2 minutes ago on IGN!

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
#2 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -
#3 Posted by zombiejonny (8277 posts) -
gonna buy it sometime next week along with either infinite undiscovery or viva pinata trouble in paradise.
#4 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]In my opinion, just the score I needed

I'll be getting this game tomorrow
craigalan23

Man you certainly have been waiting ages. I'll buy this game in a few weeks co-op was a huge plus.

It's not even posted on the site, I got lucky and found the video review freshly posted, heh
#5 Posted by ZOnikJJ (1134 posts) -
7.9.... meh
#6 Posted by Solid_Snake1221 (8658 posts) -
I'm happy with the score. About what I expected. I'll be getting it tomorrow for sure.
#7 Posted by icy1007 (168 posts) -
Looks pretty good, I'll probably get it tomorrow.
#8 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
If you guys want to co-op tomorrow, add me up at Toriko84 on Xbox live unless for some reason I can't get it
#9 Posted by cazzyno1 (336 posts) -
the ai problems put me off but i'm still tempted
#10 Posted by shawn7324 (8681 posts) -
Numerous bugs, what exactly?? Nevermind I see now, I tell you what it seems like anymore they just release games and say well maybe we will fix that later with an update & that just stinks.
#11 Posted by bigLLL (3686 posts) -
the bad AI is a massive put off to me as well, they shoot at you from ages away even if ur not really in site, it sux and chucks any stealth gameplay out the window
the ai problems put me off but i'm still tempted cazzyno1
#12 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
Numerous bugs, what exactly??shawn7324
Hilary is known for whing about bugs on the IGN forums
#13 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
the bad AI is a massive put off to me as well, they shoot at you from ages away even if ur not really in site, it sux and chucks any stealth gameplay out the window[QUOTE="cazzyno1"]the ai problems put me off but i'm still tempted bigLLL

I don't think anyone wanted this game for stealth nor was that intended
#14 Posted by shawn7324 (8681 posts) -
I had this PreOrdered & its already been shipped, so it better not be all screwed up. All they had to do was stick to what the original did write a new story & upgrade the graphics so why couldn't they release a bug free game.
#15 Posted by shawn7324 (8681 posts) -
Anyone know of any other reviews that I can read and compare please. Thanks.
#16 Posted by 69ANT69 (8474 posts) -
A bit disappointing, I'll probably get it when its a bit cheaper.
#17 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
Anyone know of any other reviews that I can read and compare please. Thanks.shawn7324
I'll check tomorrow
#18 Posted by phoenixrebirth (899 posts) -
Yea the AI being dumb was a let down for me especially playing the first installment that was great. I still have the game being shipped to me so I'll see whats really over exaggerated and whats on point with the ign review but have a feeling ign maybe right on the money with their review of this game. And I dont know but I blame EA if the game seems unfinished. If the game was still under Lucas Arts I kinda think you would see a total different review from ign, but again let me get my hands on the game and judge for myself.
#19 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
Yea the AI being dumb was a let down for me especially playing the first installment that was great. I still have the game being shipped to me so I'll see whats really over exaggerated and whats on point with the ign review but have a feeling ign maybe right on the money with their review of this game. And I dont know but I blame EA if the game seems unfinished. If the game was still under Lucas Arts I kinda think you would see a total different review from ign, but again let me get my hands on the game and judge for myself. phoenixrebirth
Exactly as I plan to do, I don't think I'll miss the absence of good AI as I blow stuff up
#20 Posted by YEPEE00 (1046 posts) -
must have it, must!
#21 Posted by kozzy1234 (35230 posts) -
Ill get it later down the road for the coop. Theres just to many other mUST OWN games for me, plus i dont need another sandbox type/blow everything up game.
#22 Posted by princesszelda (6869 posts) -
I'll be picking it up later on today (once the store actually opens up). The score doesn't bother me at all since I was expecting something around that area. Wonder what Gamespot is going to give it?
#23 Posted by XxSTILL_BORNxX (5749 posts) -
The world is yours. Blow it up. Nuff Said.
#24 Posted by ash918273 (186 posts) -
I watched the Playr review this morning, and it got a 7 out of 10. They said that it is a game that you should rent rather than buy
#25 Posted by Jaysonguy (37630 posts) -

I'm happy with the score. About what I expected. I'll be getting it tomorrow for sure.Solid_Snake1221

You expected a broken game?

After the first one was so great I expected the second one to be completely polished

#26 Posted by orb_03_2006 (8494 posts) -
the overall score is pretty diappointing... but I'll try it sometime after a price drop... :P
#27 Posted by DZBricktop (2914 posts) -

8.0-Presentation
There's a great amount of humor here that makes a very shallow story enjoyable. The menu system is easy to navigate, though the world map could have been more functional.

8.0-Graphics
The explosions are gorgeous and, surprisingly, the framerate holds steady. The animations and character models are weak, but the first nuke you drop pretty much erases those concerns from memory.

5.0-Sound
The voice acting from the three main characters is strong, but the ancillary dialogue is unbearably repetitive and much of it is misused.

7.5-Gameplay
It's fun, which is what matters most. But the numerous bugs, the terrible AI, and the lackluster missions hold this one down. Co-op is fun, though three-player co-op would have been a nice option.

8.0-Lasting Appeal
You can blow through the main story pretty quickly, but there are lots of side distractions. Co-op definitely helps the longevity. And it really is hard to deny how much fun it is to blow (stuff) up.

Even though the AI complaints seem to be the biggest issue, the thing that seems to keep the score down is the sound? I can live with that. In terms of gameplay, all i care about is a fun game. And that the first thing it says under gameplay, "It's fun".

#28 Posted by gamer082009 (6679 posts) -
7.9 is a not so good score in my opinion. Being a fan of the first Mercenaries I may have to pick it up anyways, despite it's sub-par score.
#29 Posted by Jaysonguy (37630 posts) -

Even though the AI complaints seem to be the biggest issue, the thing that seems to keep the score down is the sound? I can live with that. In terms of gameplay, all i care about is a fun game. And that the first thing it says under gameplay, "It's fun".

DZBricktop

No, what kept the score down is how it's broken

Tanks that take no damage unless they hit a fire hydrant?

Run down hills or stairs and you lose health?

Getting stuck in bushes and other parts of the scenery?

I expected flaws like that to not exist in the final version. It's not this is the studio's first time with this kind of game. They did it before with amazing results.

#30 Posted by shawn7324 (8681 posts) -

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake1221"]I'm happy with the score. About what I expected. I'll be getting it tomorrow for sure.Jaysonguy

You expected a broken game?

After the first one was so great I expected the second one to be completely polished

I expected the same, but it didn't have the EA on it. Why is it every game thats not Madden that has that ugly EA stamped on it releases full of bugs & problems that should have been caught quickly during game testing.

#31 Posted by mrgab (23303 posts) -

When they said that the melee was the easiest way to kill someone, just made me think of Crackdown.

Anyhow, hopefully these minor annoyances will be fixed in the upcoming months.

#32 Posted by pete_merlin (6099 posts) -
yehh looks as bad as i thought it would, no im not getting it
#33 Posted by HellRazer360 (2693 posts) -
must have it, must!YEPEE00
agreed
#34 Posted by shawn7324 (8681 posts) -

When they said that the melee was the easiest way to kill someone, just made me think of Crackdown.

Anyhow, hopefully these minor annoyances will be fixed in the upcoming months.

mrgab

Yeah that makes me sick, they release the game screwed up and then release a patch months after its released. I would rather them just make the game right and release it later.

#35 Posted by BioShockOwnz (52901 posts) -
Good score for a good game. :D
#36 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -
gettin it today.
#37 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15038 posts) -
Any news on a demo for this game? I really don't like taking the word of the reviewer.
#38 Posted by Zyllus_ (1510 posts) -
I was expecting a higher rating though.
#39 Posted by jstarzyk (3507 posts) -
I'll play it, but not until it comes down in price.
#40 Posted by JohnnySN1P3R (1916 posts) -
THats the score I expected also.
#41 Posted by Large_Soda (8610 posts) -
I'm almost 2 hours in and it's pretty fun and if you care the game gives out really quick points. I rented it so I couldn't care less about depth or anything like that, I just wanted a game that lets me destroy things and so far so good, but if I did buy it, I'd be regretting that decision.
#42 Posted by TechtRonin07 (256 posts) -
Damn, I was expecting more, alot more. I'm a big fan of the first game and this is a dissapointment. At the same time it's almost a relief because now I can focus on all the amazing games coming up that I'm having so much trouble affording.
#43 Posted by Stevie_Q (2011 posts) -
Looks like i'll rent it first
#44 Posted by naruto7777 (8059 posts) -
great score
#45 Posted by z-man34 (193 posts) -
Just for comparison Too Human got a 7.8 on ign, so I wonder what GS will give it since TH got a 5 here...
#46 Posted by Jaysonguy (37630 posts) -

great scorenaruto7777

Another person that expected it to be worse?

#47 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
1up gave it a B+

Which is a great score, AA

I'm still wondering whether to buy it or not, oh well time will tell. I might have to wait for price drop.
#48 Posted by dth_dlr (7517 posts) -
not enough to make me get this game, i'd rather save the money and get another game
#49 Posted by Manni25 (194 posts) -
#50 Posted by Jaysonguy (37630 posts) -

1up gave it a B+

Which is a great score, AA

I'm still wondering whether to buy it or not, oh well time will tell. I might have to wait for price drop.
Toriko42

The ability to blow stuff up seems to be the main concentration of that review

They gloss over the glitches because