This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -
does anybody know when you get the dog in fallout 3? and how do u go about getting him?
#2 Posted by Roxas12934 (1853 posts) -
Id also like to know.
#3 Posted by Sw0rDMaN (1219 posts) -

Its a random event i think near the beginning of the game after you went to Megaton.

I say random because for me he just appeared while i was wandering

#4 Posted by adamus007 (852 posts) -
Is it like the dog in fable 2?.......as in does it just follow you around for the whole game? and are you able to interact with it?
#5 Posted by gial240 (2019 posts) -
You can find it North of Megaton in the Scrapyard. It's standing over a few raider's bodies. The dog actually fights with you and can also find items for you like Food, Meds, Ammo, and weapons.
#6 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -

You can find it North of Megaton in the Scrapyard. It's standing over a few raider's bodies. The dog actually fights with you and can also find items for you like Food, Meds, Ammo, and weapons.gial240

thanks man. if it fights with u, how do u make it stop?

#7 Posted by Dilan120 (1137 posts) -
Can the Dog die?
#8 Posted by gial240 (2019 posts) -
The dog can die but it takes quite a bit of a beating before it falls, heh. You can tell your dog to stay behind and wait for you to come back if you don't want it to fight with you for a little bit. You can even tell it to go to vault 101 and wait there for you.
#9 Posted by Dilan120 (1137 posts) -

The dog can die but it takes quite a bit of a beating before it falls, heh. You can tell your dog to stay behind and wait for you to come back if you don't want it to fight with you for a little bit. You can even tell it to go to vault 101 and wait there for you.gial240

Is there a way to get back your Dog if it dies in battle?

#10 Posted by gial240 (2019 posts) -
Not that I know of unless you save it before it dies (hehe). Mine hasn't died yet so I can't give you an honest answer.
#11 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -
dude ive been lookin for it and cant find it. is the dog in springvale?
#12 Posted by gial240 (2019 posts) -
It's North of Megaton. You will find it after reaching a scrapyard (it will tell you you discovered "scrapyard"). North of Megaton and South of Minecity (or Minefield/Ghost Town?)
#13 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -
is it past the river?
#14 Posted by gial240 (2019 posts) -
An easier way to find it is my going to "Craterside supply" in Megaton and taking the Survival guide quest. Then do the Mine topic and set out to the Ghost Town (it places the location on your map). On the way to the Ghosttown you will come across the scrapyard which will lead you to Dog meat (dog's name).
#15 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -

An easier way to find it is my going to "Craterside supply" in Megaton and taking the Survival guide quest. Then do the Mine topic and set out to the Ghost Town (it places the location on your map). On the way to the Ghosttown you will come across the scrapyard which will lead you to Dog meat (dog's name).gial240

thanks man. and how the heck can i get more guns? im stuck with this rifle with like 5 bullets and like 2 pistols with like 4 bullets.

#16 Posted by gial240 (2019 posts) -
Your best bet right now would be scavenging around the starting area near the school. Once you've got enough guts, go inside, haha. The school carries a few goodies ^^
#17 Posted by mattg90520 (3115 posts) -
i just found dogmeat. hooray for me!! haha
#18 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -

[QUOTE="gial240"]An easier way to find it is my going to "Craterside supply" in Megaton and taking the Survival guide quest. Then do the Mine topic and set out to the Ghost Town (it places the location on your map). On the way to the Ghosttown you will come across the scrapyard which will lead you to Dog meat (dog's name).pygmahia5

thanks man. and how the heck can i get more guns? im stuck with this rifle with like 5 bullets and like 2 pistols with like 4 bullets.

Killing raiders,finding things to sell,and completing quests. At first it seems impossible to get money but after a while it gets easier. Explore Megaton for a while plenty of quests to do.

Wow i can't find the dog. I went North but is he in a trainyard? Also if not where is he?

#19 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -

[QUOTE="gial240"]An easier way to find it is my going to "Craterside supply" in Megaton and taking the Survival guide quest. Then do the Mine topic and set out to the Ghost Town (it places the location on your map). On the way to the Ghosttown you will come across the scrapyard which will lead you to Dog meat (dog's name).pygmahia5

An easier way to find it is my going to "Craterside supply" in Megaton and taking the Survival guide quest. Then do the Mine topic and set out to the Ghost Town (it places the location on your map). On the way to the Ghosttown you will come across the scrapyard which will lead you to Dog meat (dog's name).gial240

so i did that mission and didnt find a scrap yard... wow this is bogus.

#20 Posted by sensfanVone (1714 posts) -
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"]

so i did that mission and didnt find a scrap yard... wow this is bogus.

It's not bogus, I got him there too, I guess you gotta keep looking.

#21 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -
I was wondering if someone could be nice enough to take a picture of where the junkyard is because i couldn't find it.
#22 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -

I was wondering if someone could be nice enough to take a picture of where the junkyard is because i couldn't find it.craigalan23

yea, that would be great and much appreciated :)

#23 Posted by cronew1 (494 posts) -
my dog died in its first fight
#24 Posted by adamus007 (852 posts) -

my dog died in its first fightcronew1
can it never come back ?..........im still not quite sure if I understand what the dog is for!?

#25 Posted by Star-Killer (1883 posts) -
I won't have the game until Friday but it was confirmed months ago that if Dogmeat dies he can't comeback
#26 Posted by adamus007 (852 posts) -
yea but whats the dog for.........is it important ??
#27 Posted by Star-Killer (1883 posts) -
I hear that it can help you in combat and find items for you, but it would be better if someone owned the game answered
#28 Posted by adamus007 (852 posts) -
oh k cool sorry dude I thought you had it :)
#29 Posted by cerealkiller8 (370 posts) -
ive also been looking for dogmeat, and yea, hes in the scrapyard digging on raider bodies. He can die, which is pretty scary, so yea heal him often. He only dies if you like abuse him, for example, if hes all bloody and crippled after a fight, and you send it scavenging for supplies right trhough a raider camp then of course it will die. Yea, you can tell it to go to certain areas. Im not sure if it can die while away from you though, because that would be kinda unfair.
#30 Posted by sensfanVone (1714 posts) -
Yeah he can die... I found that out the hard way, but I had a save file from 5 minutes earlier so I made sure to approach the issue better the next time.
#31 Posted by Byshop (12171 posts) -

Dogmeat is a character from the previous Fallout games. He's a "follower" which is basically a party member. Like all followers, you don't have any direct control over him. You can give him orders or heal him but all of these actions require that you talk to him. While he is very durable, he can be killed and there's no way to resurrect him (or any character) who dies that I'm aware of. Later in the game when I was exploring more difficult areas I ordered him to stay behind because he was getting killed too often. He runs fast and leaps into the fray fearlessly, so he often ends up as the primary target for more than one adversary when you get into a fight. Stronger monsters and characters will make short work of him in no time if you aren't careful.

I also found him in the scrapyard, but finding him is not tied to any specific missing that I'm aware of. I was just exploring when I happened upon him fighting with a group of raiders. If you haven't found him yet, you still can. It's possible there may be some prerequisite that needs to be met before you'll see him, but when I found him it was pretty early on in the game.

He's also not the only follower character in the game. There are others, but I think Dogmeat is the only one who'll join you unconditionally (I'm guessing). I have found at least two other instances in which I could acquire followers, but I didn't meet their requirements (one I wasn't "evil" enough and the other just didn't like the look of me).

-Byshop

#32 Posted by xBurgio57x (3 posts) -

head north out of megaton and keep going north. you will get a triangle on your compass. keep going north till the triangle goes toward east. then head east and your at the scrapyard. dog meat willbe in the back.

#33 Posted by gamespot4life (1227 posts) -

Dogmeat is a character from the previous Fallout games. He's a "follower" which is basically a party member. Like all followers, you don't have any direct control over him. You can give him orders or heal him but all of these actions require that you talk to him. While he is very durable, he can be killed and there's no way to resurrect him (or any character) who dies that I'm aware of. Later in the game when I was exploring more difficult areas I ordered him to stay behind because he was getting killed too often. He runs fast and leaps into the fray fearlessly, so he often ends up as the primary target for more than one adversary when you get into a fight. Stronger monsters and characters will make short work of him in no time if you aren't careful.

I also found him in the scrapyard, but finding him is not tied to any specific missing that I'm aware of. I was just exploring when I happened upon him fighting with a group of raiders. If you haven't found him yet, you still can. It's possible there may be some prerequisite that needs to be met before you'll see him, but when I found him it was pretty early on in the game.

He's also not the only follower character in the game. There are others, but I think Dogmeat is the only one who'll join you unconditionally (I'm guessing). I have found at least two other instances in which I could acquire followers, but I didn't meet their requirements (one I wasn't "evil" enough and the other just didn't like the look of me).

-Byshop

your avator is so funny!!!!!!!!!! can i save it to my computer?

Byshop
#34 Posted by GCROCKS18 (51 posts) -
can you find him even after you blow up megaton
#35 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -

can you find him even after you blow up megatonGCROCKS18

dude how could u blow it up?!? i felt too horrible to blow it up. my initial response was to blow the crap outta it but i started talkin to the people and i just couldnt go through with it! u sick person!!! lol ;)

#36 Posted by Fodpea (284 posts) -
i dont care that much about the dog i mean once it dies it dies thats it whats done is done hasta la byebye so long,
#37 Posted by epicfailgirl (3 posts) -

I just got the dog, and I'll try and explain how.

Later on, if I don't forget, I'll take a picture of the map and the Scrapy itself.

I actually went east from the Northwest Seneca Station, which is the station by the Arefu city.

If you literaly keep going east from it, in a straight path, you'll end up on Scrapyard.

In your way to the Scrapyard you'll pass by Hallowed Moors Cemetery, then, keep going east.

The yard is not a big place, but walk around and you'll find dog meat.

There's another way to get there as I can see from my map.

And it is by going north from the Super-Duper Mart, not Megaton.

The Scrapyard is by the Minefield, as some people already mentioned.

But I had the same problem of not finding it while going to Minefield.

Because it's not exactly South of Minefield on the map, it's more like south east.

#38 Posted by ozzdog123 (1527 posts) -
Thats exactly where he is.Great directions, I had to find him on my own,because the poster who just said 'north of megaton,then east' those were the worst directions given.
#39 Posted by REforever101 (11216 posts) -
I found him in the scrapyard north of megaton. he was fighting some raiders, and i saved him
#40 Posted by pygmahia5 (7408 posts) -
i found the dog, thanks evryone
#41 Posted by epicfailgirl (3 posts) -

Ok, so here are some pictures:

The map

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/xulim/wat006-1.jpg

Just a picture of how the dog looks like lol

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/xulim/wat007.jpg

Scrapyard

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/xulim/wat008.jpg

Another view of the Scrapyard

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/xulim/wat009.jpg

When you talk with dogmeat

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/xulim/wat010-1.jpg

#42 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -
Well i finally found Dogmeat. He's rather useful and it's good actually having some be with you while you explore. Only problem is i worry he'll die constantly even though he wont lol.
#43 Posted by maccer101 (4257 posts) -
when he dies, is that it? no more dogs?
#44 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -

when he dies, is that it? no more dogs?maccer101

Yep pretty much. So save often before fights or tell him to wait there while you go fight.

#45 Posted by Rehehelly (165 posts) -

I love you guys.

DOG?! FALLOUT 3?!

*happy*

#46 Posted by epicfailgirl (3 posts) -

lol, when I was looking for the family on the tunnels of the metro,

I told him to go back to the vault and wait for me,

now I can't get in the vault hahaha, what a sucker I am.

*Spoiler* But I've heard there's a quest on which I go back in,

so hopefully I'll find Dogmeat :-)

#47 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -

epicfailgirl

Well that's not good i'm glad i never tell him to go back there.

#48 Posted by FPS_Gamer123 (4363 posts) -
[QUOTE="epicfailgirl"]

craigalan23

Good to know, I definitely won't send him to the Vault when I find him.

#49 Posted by lionheart1981oz (569 posts) -

Cool i always wanted to know how to get that dog and where he is....im playing a female character and i only thought it was only available to males....you know how a dog is a mans best friend....anyway....

I thought you get the dog from the begining like in fable 2.....oh well good 2 know u have to find the dog and he can be ur companion throughout the game.

Awesome :)

#50 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -
[QUOTE="craigalan23"][QUOTE="epicfailgirl"]

FPS_Gamer123

Is this some sort of glitch? When I find him, I'll be sure not to send him to the Vault.

I have no idea i never trust him going back to the vault. Who knows if he can die or just act dumb and get stuck somewhere. I've seen the AI act very dumb on the game.