Fable 3: A living, breathing, Monty Python skit

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts

Fable 3 strikes the perfect chords in combat and humor, but is plagued with minor annoyances throughout. Combat in Fable 3 flows seamlessly between ranged attacks, melee, and magic. Never before has switching been so instantaneous in which I can knock back a foe with a slash, wound him with pistol shot, and finish him off with a fireball. The combo possibilities are endless, and it makes for an unpredictable experience...

...when it's not hampered by the camera. Controlling the camera in a third person action game is never easy in tight corridors. This camera issue is made worse by the cinematic deaths in which the camera focuses on your attack instead of on you. Don't get me wrong, the deaths look beautiful focusing on the swing of your sword or your bullet knocking down an enemy, but combat still occurs during the cinematic. An enemy can still strike you while you watch your bullet soar, creating a few tense seconds of blind firing to keep yourself safe.

The quests are varied, and certainly more fun than the basic, go here and kill this person. One quest had me acting out a play, while another had me dressing in a chicken costume to catch some hens. The basic fetch this item quests are made tolerable by the sheer hilarity of your objectives. After donning my chicken costume, I listened to a husband and wife debate the chickens' civil rights. The attention to detail makes Albion feel like a living, breathing, Monty Python skit. Even though the quests can seem dull at points, I have a drive to see what insanity the next quest will bring.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I did enjoy Fable 3, regardless of what anyone else says. But I still think 2 was a much better game.

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jrabbit99

@BattleSpectre: Ya it's not a bad game, there are just some design choices that I don't like.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#3 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Nice to see someone else enjoyed it. Game gets hate, but I liked it. 2 is the high point imo.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

I've only played the first; didn't like it..at all.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

I liked the humour in Fable 3 more than the other two installments (John Cleese as Jasper and the "Chesty" character were my favourites), the insults the evil gnomes throw at you are hilarious (much funnier than those gargoyles in Fable II) and like you I think the combat is fun despite its minor annoyances. I also liked the fact that you also got to do quests in Aurora which made a nice change from Albion all the time. There are some annoying bugs, like the free-falling one when you teleport to Bowerstone Castle, but one the whole I agree that this game probably gets a bit too much hate. I also liked how the game really made you think hard about the choices you made when you became king, and whether or not you were justified in keeping/breaking promises you made as a nobleman. The one major flaw I had with it was if you were trying to be 100% "good" it was nearly impossible to try and save all the citizens of Albion from the Darkness - kind of defeats the point of being a good king if you can't save all your subjects!

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jrabbit99

@Comic_Capers I didn't get that far yet. I'm still stuck amassing followers. Up until now I haven't really had to make any big moral decisions. I also do less quests because it's faster to amass followers by just playing with them in the streets than by going on long quests.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

@jrabbit99: Well as I've said once you become king/queen you will have to make quite a few big decisions that will effect the outcome of the game. Enjoy!