Ethernet cable modem problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jharv (1774 posts) -
I've been trying to hook my xbox live up to my computer. I have cable broadband but my modem only has one cable port, which has a cable hooked up to my pc, I'm assuming I need an extra port to have a cable from my 360 to go into but I just have that one, am I going to have to go out and buy a new modem? I really wouldn't want to because I've looked up the prices for them and don't really want to pay it, I would call my cable company but they're closed today, but do you think there's any chance they'll send me a new modem with more ports on it since I've payed for the installation and the monthly bills?
#2 Posted by LTomlinson21 (24423 posts) -

My ISP sent me a router when I had a modem so I could have all those extra ports. I would think yours would.

If they don't, I assume your modem has a USB port on it. You could hook your PC to the internet via USB and use the Ethernet port for your 360.

#3 Posted by trophylocoste (8452 posts) -

Ya you unplug it and connect the ethernet cable but you wont be able to use online on the computer

#4 Posted by jharv (1774 posts) -

My ISP sent me a router when I had a modem so I could have all those extra ports. I would think yours would.

If they don't, I assume your modem has a USB port on it. You could hook your PC to the internet via USB and use the Ethernet port for your 360.

LTomlinson21

my modem does have a usb port on it, how can i use that to hook my pc up with interent?

#5 Posted by jharv (1774 posts) -
bump anyone?
#6 Posted by the_jester_guy (273 posts) -
ok heres what you have to do when you want to play xbox you plug the modem into the xbox. and when you want to use the computer you have to unplug it from the xbox and plug it into your computer.
#7 Posted by playerlino (116 posts) -
if you have a modem than you can only use the modem eaither to play onlive or to get in the computer you cant do both at the same time ,not even using usb for the computer and ethernet for the 360.if you want to use botthe computer and the 360 at the same time you will have to buy a router
#8 Posted by LTomlinson21 (24423 posts) -
[QUOTE="LTomlinson21"]

jharv

my modem does have a usb port on it, how can i use that to hook my pc up with interent?

There is USB ports on the back of your PC. Just use a USB cable and connect it. Your internet should connect and work fine.

You still should call your ISP when you can. A router is much better to have.

#9 Posted by jharv (1774 posts) -
I've contacted them, they don't provide any networking equipment like routers or hubs, i guess i'll try and find a usb cable. Thanks for the help
#10 Posted by soccerbrat95 (1 posts) -
Ya i have the same problem but i think im going to just buy a splitter ethernet cord. It's only like 10$ on ebay.
#11 Posted by RaseshX (404 posts) -
If noone is using the internet, unplug the internet cable, and put your 360 one in. Then when you finsihed , unplug the 360 one , and put the internet one, i know it gets annoying, i had to do it for a bit, until i bought a router which has 4 ethernet slots, so i can put them both in and play both at same time.
#12 Posted by OneLessFinger (1121 posts) -
Ok don't waste your time trying to connect USB to your computer....if its cable modem, it will NOT work unless you purchase an additional IP from your ISP. If its DSL some companies will allow 2 addresses with no calls to their tech support at all. However your best bet is to just buy your own router as most ISP's do not provide these unless you buy their special package or speed deal.
#13 Posted by SuperBeast (13227 posts) -
Just buy a cheap router.....
#14 Posted by alex7221238 (1 posts) -
I have a really old modem like a surfboard and i put both ether net cables in my xbox 360 and the other one in the modem but i still cant get the connection what should i do?