Does This Mean I'm Close To RROD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

My new 360 Elite (which is my 3rd, BTW) freezes alot and sometimes doesn't read game discs... instead recognizing them as "DVDS". I got this dang thing 3 months ago, and it's already crapping out on me? Or is this just how some 360's are?

#2 Posted by MissMorphine (1156 posts) -

something tells me the RRoD goblin is coming to get you...

#3 Posted by DranzarTypeF (2623 posts) -

MissMorphine
Meh...it sounds to me like he just has a refurbished console disguised as a new one, the disc reading thing happens to some 360's.
#4 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

[QUOTE="MissMorphine"]

DranzarTypeF

Meh...it sounds to me like he just has a refurbished console disguised as a new one, the disc reading thing happens to some 360's.

No... it was a brand new console, trust me. I am just surprised at how quickly this one has taken a crap.

#5 Posted by Doolz2024 (9604 posts) -

I don't think you'll get RROD. I get that "play dvd" error every now and then. My 360 also freezes from time to time.

#6 Posted by Im_single (5134 posts) -
Sounds like what happened to my Xbox 360...Errr, sorry I mean my old one. You'll be getting a visit from old man RROD sometime, it may not be tomorrow, it may not be next week, hell it may not even be next month but he'll come for you, he will.
#7 Posted by DranzarTypeF (2623 posts) -
Sounds like what happened to my Xbox 360...Errr, sorry I mean my old one. You'll be getting a visit from old man RROD sometime, it may not be tomorrow, it may not be next week, hell it may not even be next month but he'll come for you, he will.Im_single
Nah he won't get the RROD...what he described is kinda common it happens to alot of peoples 360's, its a hinderence yes, but not hardware failing.
#8 Posted by Palantas (15322 posts) -

If your Xbox is not RROD'd, that means you're close to RROD. I'm on my fourth Elite.

#9 Posted by Setho10 (3174 posts) -
This is the exact reason I don't buy a 360. I'm not going to drop $200-$300 on something that is likely to break within a year. My original Xbox still works after eight years, and that is how it should be.
#10 Posted by gamer082009 (6679 posts) -

My new 360 Elite (which is my 3rd, BTW) freezes alot and sometimes doesn't read game discs... instead recognizing them as "DVDS". I got this dang thing 3 months ago, and it's already crapping out on me? Or is this just how some 360's are?

Jbul
Sounds like the >> dvd-rom-fail-rrod-anidas. In other words..your drive is failing simultaneously while you'll more than likely get the Red Ring of Death soon.
#11 Posted by nightgoblin2 (22 posts) -

My bought new xbox has done this since I got it and its been going strong for a year and a half so I wouldn't worry.

#12 Posted by NevecLP (859 posts) -

I had this problem. It got worse and worse it took like 30 tries, before the disc was read. And i got RRoD not long after. So to all those who say, nah he wont get it. Erm yes he will most likely get it....Eventually.

#13 Posted by Mr_Cumberdale (10188 posts) -
Hmm, maybe. My 360 got stuck a lot in the last 1-2 days and then got RRoD. Good luck! :)
#14 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
Remember you dont need to get a RROD to have it fail, if the GPU goes or the disc drive goes it wont even give you the error in some cases.
#15 Posted by Palantas (15322 posts) -

This is the exact reason I don't buy a 360. I'm not going to drop $200-$300 on something that is likely to break within a year. My original Xbox still works after eight years, and that is how it should be. Setho10

There are still a zillion NESs that work. In 20 years, a working Xbox 360 is going to be the most valuable game collector's item ever. I've always had an in-store warranty, so all this RROD nonsense never set me back too much.

#16 Posted by gamerfreak1991 (2501 posts) -
I get the play DVD error sometimes I just eject the disc and put it back in and it works fine. It's been doing this for about a year now so I don't sense any immediate RRoD. (Knock on wood.)
#17 Posted by Kaos39 (695 posts) -
I haven't had the freezing problem but almost everytime I turn it on it reads the discs as DVD's. So it takes me like 8 times to get the game to finally work, but this has been happening for probably over a year and it still works.
#18 Posted by dragonic9100 (356 posts) -

This is the exact reason I don't buy a 360. I'm not going to drop $200-$300 on something that is likely to break within a year. My original Xbox still works after eight years, and that is how it should be. Setho10

omg troll just gtfo and go back the PS3 thread

#19 Posted by Wakanoid (4464 posts) -
Erhm, well my xbox 360 was picking up disc as DVD's around 3-4 months ago.. Then it's be fine since, rarely does it.. I think you should be fine.. but if it keeps happening.. It's coming for you...