Does the Xbox Elite get the Red Ring of Death?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Polarskill (822 posts) -

I was just wondering cause my Xbox 360 (Which is a regular premium)gets the RROD a lot and i have to do the towel trick to fix it. I was just gonna turn it and give it to my brother to have, and then buy a elite.

So does the Elite get the RROD? Also can i still turn in my Xbox 360 and get it fixed after i do the towel trick, or did that mess with the warranty?

#2 Posted by aarow82 (160 posts) -

If your 360 gets RROD a lot u should send it back, its covered under warranty as long as u dont open the case, or dont tell them u did.

Personally i dont know y u would put up with it more than a couple of times before sending it back.

#3 Posted by Phayse (27 posts) -
Send it back, 360's shouldnt be getting RROD anyways
#4 Posted by tacosrule193 (780 posts) -
ur mean giving ur brother ur 360 with rrod ...... but i heard elite last a bit longer but it stil has rrod
#5 Posted by War_Martyr (598 posts) -

Yeah, mine did.

#6 Posted by ibanezdropd (1844 posts) -
seriously, i don't mean to start anytthing, but wtf is wrong w/ microsoft pushing out such a faulty product. i realize getting out a year before sony gave them an advantage.... but it was at the cost of every one of there systems eventually dying.... i'm gonna say that because mine last from launch until... a day ago... more than 2 years... and got the rrod.. i'm considering the elite... but &$%#... if it dies i'll give up on microsoft and the 360
#7 Posted by phil-laad (1 posts) -

;)I was woderin if the Elite gets the RROD because am thinkin about gettin one has anyone answer to my question or is the elite the same as the premium it gets it no matter what

cheers gonna need sellin ma nintendo wii to get one:D

#8 Posted by GlassDominion (1313 posts) -

yes the elite still gets RRoD, how many of them die...is another question. the elite hasnt been out a year yet so we dont know how they will stand the test of time (many 360s lasted over a year but didnt make 2 years. its like a bomb ticking untll it finally goes off)

but the newer 360s swear they are better.

at least MS is standing by and replacing them for up to 3 years. Sony and the disk read errors on some PS2s was not happy business.

#9 Posted by Jericho721 (700 posts) -

I was just wondering cause my Xbox 360 (Which is a regular premium)gets the RROD a lot and i have to do the towel trick to fix it. I was just gonna turn it and give it to my brother to have, and then buy a elite.

So does the Elite get the RROD? Also can i still turn in my Xbox 360 and get it fixed after i do the towel trick, or did that mess with the warranty?

Polarskill
yes the RROD is 100% possible to get on the elite
#10 Posted by Thorpe89 (19548 posts) -
The Elite is an Xbox 360 so I am guessing this is just as likely to get RRoD. Maybe some hardware revisions probably ensure it's more stable, though. I have seen a few Elites with the RRoD.
#11 Posted by samherrett (23 posts) -
All elites should have the new hitachi or ben-q drives, Should have new heatsink some have new chipsets, aslong as you keep it well ventilated (and your power brick) you should be fine.
#12 Posted by r8dersfan (6 posts) -

I just bought the Elite on Wed and it works great so far. its alot louder than my PS3 but so far so good. it has the new heat sink and falcon chip. newer Elites should have these, and supposedly they're less likely to have the RROD.

I've been playing CoD2 for a few hours at a time and have Gears of War and CoD4 in the stash. can someone explain what the towel trick is?

#13 Posted by ccgod (7114 posts) -
i've had the elite sence it came out and i have yet to have anything wrong with it
#14 Posted by Rossdaboss777 (2417 posts) -
no
#15 Posted by dredlocbro (1 posts) -
i've had my xbox 360 elite for 4 months and i got the RROD....i sent it to MS and they fixed it in 1 day so heads up ,the the elites r no diffrent!!!
#16 Posted by stike22 (3401 posts) -
Wait so Microsoft actually made elites knowing that the hardware creates red light...seriously microsoft suck at hardware dev.
#17 Posted by is1989 (2 posts) -

I've had my elite 360 for a little over a year and IT STILL WORKS no problems here

#18 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

yea it possible for the elite to get the red ring, but very small chance. i know alot of poeple that have that version and none of them have gotten RROD, i also have had the elite for about 3 years and have had zero problems with it. i think its even better then the newer slim because ive heard multiple problems from the slim version, while barley none from the elite.