Does the Intercooler cause you 360 to break?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

I have one, I havent had any problems. How come everyone says there bad to get. Arent they suppose to increase your 360s life span. I figured it would be a good thing to get with the overheating problems the 360 has. and also, ive noticed theres two versions of the intercooler. One has a switch on the back and the other dosent. what does that switch do?  

whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
The intercooler might help in some cases, but there are a few known cases where it hurt. It can actually cause the 360 to overheat, to the point of melting the plastic case. Thats not gauranteed, it just seems to have happened. Any problems that it causes won't be covered by warranty either, you can maybe get around that, but the risk is there.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
I recommend you to get an independent cooling source, I would tell you but i'm freaking drunk at the moment if you want more details PM me and wait till morning
demondragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 demondragon55
Member since 2006 • 71 Posts

I have a Nyko intercooler. My intercooler just had the 4 red lights problem. And I was freakin' out! As for it being a piece of crap, like some people will say, since I got it, my xbox has not frozen once, as it had a few times in the past. So, what to do? I'd say, for those of you that have the intercool, make sure the cable is firmly in the intercooler and that the intercooler itself is in right and tape it in. The cable wont come out which means no red lights (4 of them that is. I checked the manual.). You can see it's really easy for the cable to come out of the port to the intercooler, it will just slide in and out, go ahead and try it. (makes sure the xbox is off!) For those that don't have a intercooler and think it will help, it will. It's a fact, the cooler (not on ice, just cooler) a computer runs, the easier it is for said computer. So it WILL do what it says, just make sure the power plug is in and wont come out. My 2 cents.

Note: Use Electrical tape. I'm pretty sure duct tape will work, but I'd use Electrical tape just to be on the safe side.

007ybse04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 007ybse04
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts

My Nyko intercooler dead after 10 months of using, It cools down the Xbox360 very well , But Its Connector pins's burned

I immediately throw it away before it harm to my console. I will buy XCM High Speed Cooling Fan + XCM Add on internal fan + LCD heat status monitor. (49.99USD)

Wanna see a dead Intercooler?

http://www.tricktape.com/intercooler2.jpg

OutcastDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OutcastDragon
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts

I had an intercooler, and had more problems with my 360 than I've ever had. Load times were longer, freezing was frequent, it was so loud, I had to have my T.V. on the highest volume just to hear the game. It even gave me the three red lights multiple times. Than after about a month, the fans went bad. Mine is version 3(One with the switch to turn it on or off). Anyone with these things though, should immediately remove them IMO. They tend to burn the back of the 360, and void warranties. They do the opposite thing they're supposed to do, lengthen the console lifespan. Read the product reviews at Newegg. That should be all you need to see.

Avatar image for SMASHED_ASPHALT
SMASHED_ASPHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SMASHED_ASPHALT
Member since 2007 • 1777 Posts

I had an intercooler, and had more problems with my 360 than I've ever had. Load times were longer, freezing was frequent, it was so loud, I had to have my T.V. on the highest volume just to hear the game. It even gave me the three red lights multiple times. Than after about a month, the fans went bad. Mine is version 3(One with the switch to turn it on or off). Anyone with these things though, should immediately remove them IMO. They tend to burn the back of the 360, and void warranties. They do the opposite thing they're supposed to do, lengthen the console lifespan. Read the product reviews at Newegg. That should be all you need to see.

OutcastDragon

Bump.

Jnasty12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jnasty12
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

i have the nyko intercooler (no switches), hasnt borken and i had it for about 5 months now in a enclosed area.

Jnasty12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jnasty12
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

i have the nyko intercooler (no switches), hasnt borken and i had it for about 5 months now in a enclosed area.

Avatar image for shadwedassassin
shadwedassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shadwedassassin
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i had an nyko intercooler and it has killed my xbox 360. R.I.P xbox 360 R.I.P it caused my xbox to over heat and scorch it. i have had the intercooler on for two months. please just use a seperate fan it will affect it after awhile
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts
The problem with the intercooler is that it powers up before the console does.  It hooks up on the back of the console where the power cord attaches & by doing so it powers up first and takes away from the power for your Xbox 360, & thats not good.  Other coolers like the fan stand hook up via USB which power up after the console has already powered up.  Also note, the use of an intercooler will leave small markings on your console where it attaches to the back.  If you send your console to Microsoft for warranty repair they will check for such markings as they have already stated that they don't approve of it and will void your warranty if such proof of use is found.  You shouldn't spend any money on any of these things anyways, a small fan on a table facing the side of your console would be more than sufficient if your worried your console may be overheating.  Good Gaming.