Does Installing games to your hard drive slow your xbox down

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DoMiNiC147 (984 posts) -
Cause I've installed all the games I have and now my xbox runs slowly. It takes forever to get the guide up and running and some games load slower then before.
#2 Posted by grafkhun (12827 posts) -
Firstly, not all games run better when installed, Halo 3 for example. Secondly, I don't think that installig lots of games will affect laoding times for other functions.
#3 Posted by jrabbit99 (2835 posts) -
depends on the game, the only game that i know of that function worse when installed on the HDD is Halo 3. But it takes up a lot of space. If you have a 20GB HDD like me, than it's prob not worth it
#4 Posted by DoMiNiC147 (984 posts) -
Firstly, not all games run better when installed, Halo 3 for example. Secondly, I don't think that installig lots of games will affect laoding times for other functions.grafkhun
Well I have halo 3 installed and it runs better then before. I installed it just in time to cause it just decided to get a giant scratch in it.
#5 Posted by SapSacPrime (8885 posts) -
No, games run better and everything else is the same, I only play off the HDD now. I know Halo is supposed to have longer load times, I dont own that though so no comment :P.
#6 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36845 posts) -
[QUOTE="grafkhun"]Firstly, not all games run better when installed, Halo 3 for example. Secondly, I don't think that installig lots of games will affect laoding times for other functions.DoMiNiC147
Well I have halo 3 installed and it runs better then before. I installed it just in time to cause it just decided to get a giant scratch in it.

id like to say thats impossible, so i am, thats impossible, bungie even took the time to send u a message the first time u get on after the update telling u not to install the update because it runs slower, somehow i dont think yours is any different
#7 Posted by sourcerah (1214 posts) -
I only installed Madden 09 onto my 20gb... Everything runs the same if not better
#8 Posted by Endgame_basic (930 posts) -

It can slow down your system if you've used almost all your HD space and have say 500MB left, just like a PC you should always keep at least a few GB's free. If that's not the case than it can't really slow down your system.

BTW, installing Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia to your HD also introduces some stuttering/pausing issues in the game, so it's not just Halo 3 that is affected.

#9 Posted by Fear123456 (108 posts) -
I didnt install games until I got the 120gb.. Now with more hd space it seems like my xbox runs better. I only have three games installed. Ive seen faster loading and it seems that runs faster with a lot of applications.
#10 Posted by xmen1414 (1948 posts) -
[QUOTE="DoMiNiC147"][QUOTE="grafkhun"]Firstly, not all games run better when installed, Halo 3 for example. Secondly, I don't think that installig lots of games will affect laoding times for other functions.chaoscougar1

id like to say thats impossible, so i am, thats impossible, bungie even took the time to send u a message the first time u get on after the update telling u not to install the update because it runs slower, somehow i dont think yours is any different

Yup thats impossible. Sorry bout the scratch, probably happened cause you installed it.....
#11 Posted by raylewisnfl52 (7146 posts) -
no it shouldnt
#12 Posted by crawdad111 (53 posts) -
The speed an xbox runs at to get to setup is mostly affected by ram not the hard drive. The reason when you install games to hard drive things speed up is because the ram can access data from hard drive quicker then it can look it up on a disc. As long as you keep a gig free it should not slow down xbox that much. it not like a computer where you have multiple applications running in the background like anti virus programs . Not all products are created equally and it is entirely possible for ram to work when it is damaged just not work as well
#13 Posted by grafkhun (12827 posts) -
[QUOTE="grafkhun"]Firstly, not all games run better when installed, Halo 3 for example. Secondly, I don't think that installig lots of games will affect laoding times for other functions.DoMiNiC147

Well that's all the better for you, I personally don't have any game installed, no room on my HD.
#14 Posted by DoMiNiC147 (984 posts) -
[QUOTE="DoMiNiC147"][QUOTE="grafkhun"]Firstly, not all games run better when installed, Halo 3 for example. Secondly, I don't think that installig lots of games will affect laoding times for other functions.chaoscougar1

Well I don't know. It might just fell shorter cause of the fact that I've been trying gears 2