Do you need to play Halo 1 and 2 to appreciate Halo 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

devin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 devin360
Member since 2007 • 72 Posts

I haven't played Halo, but look forward to Halo 3 commin out. Will people that don't know the story behind Halo get a lot out of Halo 3 or does the series build on itself in a way that you'd have to play the first two games to appreciate Halo 3?

F0R3V3RM0R3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 F0R3V3RM0R3
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts
I'd go back and play the others for fun and learn about the story. Halo 1 and 2 are pretty cheap now-a-days aren't they?
GalesOfOctober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GalesOfOctober
Member since 2004 • 217 Posts
Halo is a really boring game and the only thing it has going for it is multiplayer... So don't worry about the first two games because they are easily beaten. The first one is okay and the storyline was decent but the second one pisses me off with the ending because it set itself up for a sequel.
Munkey4098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Munkey4098
Member since 2004 • 451 Posts
it depends on if you are wanting ti for. if you want the story and then i would say get the first 2. if you are going to stay in Multiplayer then just get Halo 3.
soroush7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 soroush7
Member since 2003 • 1968 Posts
Just pick both of 'em up for like $20-30? Its a good experience and will fill you in on the story.
Shinobi2201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shinobi2201
Member since 2005 • 82 Posts
To really understand everything it's best to go and play the other two.
deadnight669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deadnight669
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

it is definitley worth it to pick up the first two. they are both great games i picked them both up a few days ago for like $40 total to revisit the story before the third one comes out. you dont need the first two to enjoy the gameplay of the third but you will need them to understand the story

Progn0sticator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Progn0sticator
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts
To truly Appreciate Halo 3, you have to be a fan of FPS's. If you want a better understanding of whats going on in the Story, go pick up the first 2 games, but you'll still have a very good Experience in game both Single Player and Multiplayer if this is your First Halo.
mother_farter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 mother_farter
Member since 2003 • 16676 Posts
well not to appreciate it..i think you could skip 1 and 2 and still appreciate what halo3 has to offer..but if you realy want to get the full experience and actually understand the story then i think you really need to go back and play 1 and 2 before you play 3
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
If you care anything about story then yeah you should. There are supposed to be major story developments at the very beginning (why they haven't shown anything from it) so you probably won't understand what's going on if you don't.
Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts

It really does depend on what kind of gamer you are, if your just looking to get the generic experience and just play multiplayer which for some odd reason plenty of people do, then no, you don't need to bother with it. But if you really want to experience and appreciate a franchise that for a shooter has a pretty solid and interesting story and universe behind it, then yes, most definately you will want and need to play through the first two games to really grasp what is going on.

I think in the campaign, your really going to have some "What the hell is going on" moments in Halo 3 if you never played either of the first two, because it is a more story driven campaign than many other shooters are. Yeah you can still just go around and shoot crap and blow that same crap up and have fun, but you might walk into a 5 minute cutscene and not have a clue what the hell is really going on when they start answering some of the questions that have been built up through 25 hours or so of gameplay from the first two games.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts

Well the story in halo 1 doesnt progress a whole lot,so your not really missing out on much in terms of story,however halo 2 reveals a whole lot more,so i would recommend playing the second one.

Or you could just buy the legendary edition of halo 3 which includes all the cutscenes from 1 & 2 in HD.

loky3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loky3000
Member since 2004 • 256 Posts
I dont think its worth going through the horrible level design in Halo 1 to learn about the story etc.
digi_matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 digi_matrix
Member since 2004 • 6600 Posts

In addition to the games, also get the novelisations, the universe is very deep and you might be dropped into the deep end if you play Halo 3 for the story :?. Definitely recommend both games just to understand the story:

where all the Spartans left, the alien invasion, Covenant ranks, religion, Brutes' motivations, [spoiler] alliance of humans with Covenant [/spoiler] , Prophets, the purpose of HALO ring, 343 Guilty Spark, the Flood, what might be happening with Cortana, and much more.

Yeah, to understand all that, you NEED to play the previous games. The stories continue from each other, like a proper trilogy. If you just want multiplayer, well then just get it.

Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts
Well, I don't think that it will be vital to enjoying Halo 3, but I definitely think it will enhance the experience.
OWUaaronTSi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OWUaaronTSi
Member since 2003 • 252 Posts
Like some of the other ppl have said, I'd recommend buying them for the storyline in singleplayer. If ur just in it for the multiplayer, don't worry about the other two cause halo 3 multiplayer is gonna blow the other 2 away.
Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts
...hold on, there was a Halo story?
Wull1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Wull1977

Yes.

Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts
...damn, missed that then. I thought it was the same old stuff...aliens taking over humans lol
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts

I dont think its worth going through the horrible level design in Halo 1 to learn about the story etc.loky3000

Wrong. Play Halo 1 and 2. They are the best of the best.

the_jetimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 the_jetimaster
Member since 2005 • 427 Posts

if i see a gamplay knowing that i didnt play halo 1 and 2 i would like halo 3 it look amazing so

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts
Well, I mean, the storymajorly presents itselfin the first two Halo's obviously, but I think you'll still have a lot of fun in Halo 3 with experiencing the first two. They're all great games, and the first two are cheap now, so I don't really see why ya wouldn't!
Scorp1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Scorp1313

Halo is a really boring game and the only thing it has going for it is multiplayer... So don't worry about the first two games because they are easily beaten. The first one is okay and the storyline was decent but the second one pisses me off with the ending because it set itself up for a sequel.GalesOfOctober

Halo is all about the multi-player, the campaign is sorta fun but the game is pretty much made for online play