Do you like using hdmi input for cable tv?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I will probably never use this feature on Xbox One. I have bare bones cable television and do not intend to get a cable box with a hdmi output. But i am curious how well people like the feature who use it. Do you like flipping between games and television instantly or is it just kind of a gimmick that you hardly use? Does that featue work well; fast and responsive? Does the tv signal get degraded when using the hdmi input?

Avatar image for humoungousmoth7
HumoungousMoth7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 HumoungousMoth7
Member since 2013 • 36 Posts

I think it's a really cool feature. You have to get use to using the voice commands for it to work properly but once you get it down it works pretty good. You can also use your controller to access the Tv guide and channels. It's not super fast but not slow either. It all depends on how clear you use your voice commands as for as the speed goes. It didn't degrade my picture at all but seemed to improve it (as stupid as that sounds). I really felt like Microsoft took steps in the right direction towards making it the console of the future and If you don't use this feature you are missing out on some really cool things that your Xbox One can do. All they really need to do is make it able to record your Tv shows or movies like a DVR and it would be perfect.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#3 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

I did it to test it out and show it off to a few relatives—not intending to leave it in place—and I was instantly in love. Saying "Xbox, watch BBC America" never gets old. The picture is just as fine as if you plugged the HDMI from the cable box into the TV (or to an A/V receiver then onto the TV).

The channel changes a bit slowly, as the voice command gets processed as individual number keys getting pressed (there is a speed setting somewhere in the menus that you'll want to make faster). If I want to go to ABC, 506 on my Verizon, you'll see the 5, then the 0, then the 6 pop up as if you'd pressed buttons. Perhaps a tad slower if the remote was next to you, but if you'd have to stretch to reach it and it's upside down and pointed towards you, totally faster. And certainly faster if you rarely watch a channel and don't know its number on your system offhand. For AMC, which I watch once a week at best and can never remember, its a godsend.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I have been meaning to unhook mine but haven't got to it yet. I wish it had a true pass through and didn't require the X1 to be on to watch TV.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I still use the DVR guide instead of the Xbox one, and the lack of accessing recorded shows limits it's utility somewhat, BUT the ability to FF, RW and PAUSE TV when I'm cooking or can't reach the remote is handy as hell. Also, the ability to snap to other things while watching TV is great. You can snap to the Weather Channel, or look up something on IE during a commercial. Overall, I think it's really wonderful. They just didn't let you control your DVR, which requires me to rely on the traditional DVR menu still.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#7  Edited By jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

@donalbane said:

They just didn't let you control your DVR, which requires me to rely on the traditional DVR menu still.

I'm curious how much it's "let" or "can't". But honestly, if you've tried using Netflix via voice, it's not very useful for selecting/finding something, and I doubt the experience for DVR control would be much better.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By donalbane

@jekyll said:

@donalbane said:

They just didn't let you control your DVR, which requires me to rely on the traditional DVR menu still.

I'm curious how much it's "let" or "can't". But honestly, if you've tried using Netflix via voice, it's not very useful for selecting/finding something, and I doubt the experience for DVR control would be much better.

I think "Can't". DVR menu systems can't be translated into the Xbox One OS in the same way that cable TV schedules can. I'm thinking it will never happen. As it stands, my Harmony remote has one profile for using the Xbox One in TV mode and one in non-TV mode. It's not the greatest solution, but it works fine enough.

Then again, I can access my DVR from a website, so I suppose it's technically possible - though it's unlikely since cable providers would have to allow Microsoft access to their internal goings-on, which I just don't see happening.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

I like the TV feature. Mainly I use it for long game loads and waiting for online matchmaking. I just say XBOX SNAP TV and Comedy Central or ESPN (wherever I left it) pops up in the side of the screen. While I like it and I do use it I can't call it a big deal. For that to happen MS would have to add DVR capability or at least let me use it to control my DVR. I have a feeling that MS had, or still has, big plans for the TV feature. They have enough cash to become a TV provider via Internet like ATT's Uverse.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 donalbane

Oh and yes, it's responsive and there's no degradation. If anybody says it downgraded their picture, then they were running in 1080i, which is what most people put their cable boxes on thinking it's the best option because 1080 is a larger number than 720. That's unwise, though, as 720p provides a much better, non-interlaced picture. You get 720 lines of data as opposed to 540 with 1080i... 1080i is interlaced, and therefore halved in its overall clarity. So if you are complaining that 1080i doesn't work, set your picture to the superior 720p which looks better and works great.

There's no lag as far as I can tell. My remote works instantly with live shows... if there is a lag, it isn't noticeable at all in my experiences.