Do TV/Movie downloads carry over?

#1 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

Do any TV shows/movies you've downloaded onto the 360 carry over the Xbox One? I don't mind having to download them again but there's no way I'm paying for them twice.

#2 Posted by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

Yes they carry over. You'll have to download them again onto the Xbox One's Harddrive.

#3 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Yes they carry over. You'll have to download them again onto the Xbox One's Harddrive.

Are you being serious? If so, how do you do this?

#4 Edited by BattleSpectre (6225 posts) -
@The-Apostle said:

@xhawk27 said:

They do indeed carry over. Check your downloads maybe?

#5 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -
@BattleSpectre said:
@The-Apostle said:

@xhawk27 said:

They do indeed carry over. Check your downloads maybe?

Yeah, I had a couple episodes I had downloaded on the 360 so I tested it on the One and it worked. Shame about the games and controllers though... At least with the PS4 we can stream them with PSN+ (or not yet) from what I hear. God, I want a PS4 so bad...

#6 Edited by BattleSpectre (6225 posts) -

@The-Apostle: Don't worry rumours are going around that Microsoft are also working on a way to emulate Xbox 360 games on to the Xbox One. I guess we'll find out at E3.

I don't want a streaming service though, I've got a cap of 100GB per month, the PS+ service is definitely not for me and I hope Microsoft find another way to make it work (doubtful).

#7 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11415 posts) -

@The-Apostle: PS+ is PlayStation equivalent of Gold. I think your thinking of PlayStation Now and it's currently in Beta.

As far as the question, I'm glad people answered it. I just got my XBO yesterday and was wondering the same thing.

#8 Edited by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: With my budget issues, I'd prefer it if we can stream them for "free" if you have gold.

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@The-Apostle: PS+ is PlayStation equivalent of Gold. I think your thinking of PlayStation Now and it's currently in Beta.

As far as the question, I'm glad people answered it. I just got my XBO yesterday and was wondering the same thing.

Actually, Games with Gold was Microsoft's shitty answer to PSN+. However, IIRC you can only use Playstation Now if you have PSN+.

#9 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11415 posts) -

@The-Apostle: I meant PS+ is a paid subscription to play online (at least on PS4), like Gold. Now GWG is the answer to PS+'s free games. As for PS Now, it's still in Beta, but you won't need PS+ to use it. It's apparently a rental system of sorts with a charge per game. Although that information is based on some screens. It won't require PS+ and it won't be free.

#10 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

Good to hear. All my episodes of South Park are safe!

#11 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@The-Apostle: I meant PS+ is a paid subscription to play online (at least on PS4), like Gold. Now GWG is the answer to PS+'s free games. As for PS Now, it's still in Beta, but you won't need PS+ to use it. It's apparently a rental system of sorts with a charge per game. Although that information is based on some screens. It won't require PS+ and it won't be free.

Really? This sucks. I had heard we could do it through PSN+. :(

Then what's the point of streaming them? Why not just have us buy them like always?

#12 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3033 posts) -

Yeah everything from 360 xbox video carries over, but as far as I can tell, you cannot download any movies or TV shows on Xbox One, streaming is the only option, and it works well overall and seems to have been improved from the 360.

Also, I remember sometimes when buying stuff on the 360, there was a message that would say that your liscence was only valid until a certain time....something like you have to stream or download the movie-tv show before a certain date, so some liscences may not be forever, and you may have lost a few items from the 360 collection because of that.

#13 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11415 posts) -
@The-Apostle said:

Then what's the point of streaming them? Why not just have us buy them like always?

Maybe there will be some form of buying but it's their "solution" to backwards compatibility. I think it works across all PS platforms as well. Including Vita.

@Alucard_Prime said:

Also, I remember sometimes when buying stuff on the 360, there was a message that would say that your liscence was only valid until a certain time....something like you have to stream or download the movie-tv show before a certain date, so some liscences may not be forever, and you may have lost a few items from the 360 collection because of that.

Really? Wow, thanks for mentioning that. That's terrible, I'll probably avoid buying videos from XBL now but I'll look for more info on it first. It would explain why it just wouldn't play some videos that I had on my 360.

#14 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3033 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:
@The-Apostle said:

Maybe there will be some form of buying but it's their "solution" to backwards compatibility. I think it works across all PS platforms as well. Including Vita.

@Alucard_Prime said:

Really? Wow, thanks for mentioning that. That's terrible, I'll probably avoid buying videos from XBL now but I'll look for more info on it first. It would explain why it just wouldn't play some videos that I had on my 360.

Sure no problem, it sucks and I have not seen that message on anything I purchased on Xbox One, but I clearly remember seeing it a few times while buying tv shows-movies on the 360....however, if I remember correctly, you can watch stuff after the liscence expires, as long as you have it downloaded on your 360 hard drive....not sure how it works on stuff you bought using the X1, and I will do more research and post more here if I find more info.

Keep in mind that I live in Canada, so this may vary from country to country, and may not even apply to you.