Disc insanely scratched. Question on renting and installing a clean copy.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Neo_Sarevok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Neo_Sarevok
Member since 2003 • 3108 Posts

So my 60lb dog jumped down from my lap onto my console ( ::insert joke here:: ), jarring the disc inside loose and the console insanely scratched it up inside. It's the worst kind of scratch too -- the one where it runs in a circle along the disc. Disc repair didn't help.

I have an idea of borrowing a friend's copy or renting it, then installing it to HDD. Since I own the scratched up disc and it does boot to the main menu properly, I was hoping an installed copy would cure my ills.

Just curious if this works.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
It has to be from the same disk.
Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
It has to be from the same disk.Ghost120x
No it does not, I did this with my Black Ops 2 and some other games.. It should work just fine if it can run your game long enough to stop reading the disc..
RichySe7en

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RichySe7en
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
I do this regular, works perfectly fine, not sure where the above dude conjured up it has to be from the same disk, not true.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Oh this works? My ODST disc is read on the dashboard but can't start the game, but I think I might try this.
gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts

As long as you have a clean, scratch-free copy of the game disc that you can install once it's done you can pop in your scratched up copy and it'll work just fine from the HDD.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#7 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

no it does not lol i have 3 copies of perfect dark zero ,

and 3 copies of gta iv , 2 copies of pd0 work without install but all 3 work with it installed,

same for gta so as long as your 360 still reads it after you install it you should be fine ,

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

So my 60lb dog jumped down from my lap onto my console ( ::insert joke here:: ), jarring the disc inside loose and the console insanely scratched it up inside. It's the worst kind of scratch too -- the one where it runs in a circle along the disc. Disc repair didn't help.

I have an idea of borrowing a friend's copy or renting it, then installing it to HDD. Since I own the scratched up disc and it does boot to the main menu properly, I was hoping an installed copy would cure my ills.

Just curious if this works.

Neo_Sarevok
It worked for my copy of Rock Band 2, I used the rented copy to install the game, and played it fine using my original scratched disc.
Flamingpostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Flamingpostman
Member since 2006 • 1172 Posts

its works all the time. as long as you have the same game in the xbox you can play it.