Destiny now ready for Pre-loading on Xbox One*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

*UPDATE: Destiny is now available for Preloading :)

Download size is around 18 GB.

As multliple websites have recently reported today, looks like we may soon be able to Pre-load the digital version of the game from the Xbox Store.

If you have Kinect, simply use the voice command "Xbox Bing" ....then on the next screen(Bing) say "Destiny" (or just type in manual search from store), and you will see multiple Destiny entries in the store, and in the description you have the generic pre-load disclaimer(Game expected to release on 09-09-2014 , you may download it from Xbox Live before then ......etc.) .....It's not possible to pre-load it yet though, as far as I can see.

Looks like we will have several options, there is a bundle that includes a "Vangard Armour" pre-order offer, as well as another one called "Digital Guardian" edition.

I'll update this thread if we get confirmation of an official date, but it looks like it will be available for pre-loading, and the only unanswered question is when. I think I will PIN the Guardian edition and check everyday, seems to be the beefiest bundle.

SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SexyPorkins
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

Saw this earlier today and this is fantastic news! I've gone all digital, so pre-loading is a great feature. Cannot wait for this game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@SexyPorkins said:

Saw this earlier today and this is fantastic news! I've gone all digital, so pre-loading is a great feature. Cannot wait for this game.

What are you going to do when the next Xbox comes out and support for Xbone is eventually removed? They won't keep supporting old systems and old networks forever. Out with the old and in with the new eventually.

I know it's hard to imagine now, but eventually the Xbone will be an older, antiquated machine. It won't happen at first, but it will happen like we saw with the original Xbox. Is the future and your console digital purchases just something you don't worry about?

It's not just the DRM I worry about with these DD purchases either. Games are being treated like borrowed licenses, and these DD games are almost reaching the point of buying an extended rental (at retail prices?!). These money grabbing companies are venturing over from PC to the consoles as well. If this doesn't change, then we need legal help. Perhaps there needs to be some law that is finalized. to protect consumers. These greedy companies having the ability to adjust a Terms Of Service (TOS) on the fly (even games we already own) doesn't seem legal in the first place.

I only buy digital when there is no retail option and this is the main reason why, plus I have family and friends that like to borrow and trade games with me. As a game collector I also like owning physical just in case I ever want to sell/trade/lend/gift games too. Plus, the HDD is so small, it's just going to force another HDD purchase in the future sooner which means more money consumers spend to buy memory.

Companies make BANK with digital. They have us store their game, they save money on shipping, no packaging, no disc, no instructions, no having to give a slice of profits to retailers ($10-$12)...and yet they still charge full price to consumers in hopes they go for it. I just don't see the upside for consumers (other than DD is easy), but I see the upside for companies big time and they do to.

I would understand digital users if I saw the companies gave back. Games releasing at $40-$45 instead of $60 at retail. Companies would still make a huge profit based on how much they save, but instead they are selling DD games at $60 (!?) and somehow people are eager to clamp down and give up the rights to lend/gift/trade/borrow, etc. I just find it peculiar because I too own an Xbone and I don't see the "going all digital!!!" upside and the future is bleak when new machines release and get established mid-generation.

Consoles =/= PC. The support chain and is completely different. Consoles are static hardware with closed off networks. You can buy DD games on PC from a variety of DD retailers (GOG, Greenman, Origin, Steam, etc), consoles let you buy DD only from the main company like Xbox. There is no real incentive to drop or compete with DD prices on console.

When I sit down and think about the upsides and downsides of physical and digital in a fair manner, I can't see why a few users are so intent on trying to promote the DD console vision as it's only bad news for consumers in the long run. We pay more $$$, companies save money, they don't pass the savings to us (not even partial), we get less physical content, we store their games on the HDD, and we are beholden to these mega-companies networks to support the networks and these games in the long-term. When that support is removed as the future and technology will dictate, that seems like a nightmare scenario with $1000s of dollars down the toilet.

The only thing I've been able to put together is ever since the mega-flop of the original Xbone vision to push digital (rejected by the masses), I think there are some super fans that are eager to show support for that original and poor vision despite the 180 turns by the company?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Its going to happen and has already for PC for ages so we better get use to it who don't like it. As long as you can play games later on when these services get canned for something else or just shut down and you loose all your library of games such as steam..

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@SexyPorkins Agreed! I've gone all digital too, and I love the convenience it brings. Destiny is now up for Pre-Loading by the way :)

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@SexyPorkins said:

What are you going to do when the next Xbox comes out and support for Xbone is eventually removed? They won't keep supporting old systems and old networks forever. Out with the old and in with the new eventually.

I know it's hard to imagine now, but eventually the Xbone will be an older, antiquated machine. It won't happen at first, but it will happen like we saw with the original Xbox. Is the future and your console digital purchases just something you don't worry about?

It's not just the DRM I worry about with these DD purchases either. Games are being treated like borrowed licenses, and these DD games are almost reaching the point of buying an extended rental (at retail prices?!). These money grabbing companies are venturing over from PC to the consoles as well. If this doesn't change, then we need legal help. Perhaps there needs to be some law that is finalized. to protect consumers. These greedy companies having the ability to adjust a Terms Of Service (TOS) on the fly (even games we already own) doesn't seem legal in the first place.

I only buy digital when there is no retail option and this is the main reason why, plus I have family and friends that like to borrow and trade games with me. As a game collector I also like owning physical just in case I ever want to sell/trade/lend/gift games too. Plus, the HDD is so small, it's just going to force another HDD purchase in the future sooner which means more money consumers spend to buy memory.

Companies make BANK with digital. They have us store their game, they save money on shipping, no packaging, no disc, no instructions, no having to give a slice of profits to retailers ($10-$12)...and yet they still charge full price to consumers in hopes they go for it. I just don't see the upside for consumers (other than DD is easy), but I see the upside for companies big time and they do to.

I would understand digital users if I saw the companies gave back. Games releasing at $40-$45 instead of $60 at retail. Companies would still make a huge profit based on how much they save, but instead they are selling DD games at $60 (!?) and somehow people are eager to clamp down and give up the rights to lend/gift/trade/borrow, etc. I just find it peculiar because I too own an Xbone and I don't see the "going all digital!!!" upside and the future is bleak when new machines release and get established mid-generation.

Consoles =/= PC. The support chain and is completely different. Consoles are static hardware with closed off networks. You can buy DD games on PC from a variety of DD retailers (GOG, Greenman, Origin, Steam, etc), consoles let you buy DD only from the main company like Xbox. There is no real incentive to drop or compete with DD prices on console.

When I sit down and think about the upsides and downsides of physical and digital in a fair manner, I can't see why a few users are so intent on trying to promote the DD console vision as it's only bad news for consumers in the long run. We pay more $$$, companies save money, they don't pass the savings to us (not even partial), we get less physical content, we store their games on the HDD, and we are beholden to these mega-companies networks to support the networks and these games in the long-term. When that support is removed as the future and technology will dictate, that seems like a nightmare scenario with $1000s of dollars down the toilet.

The only thing I've been able to put together is ever since the mega-flop of the original Xbone vision to push digital (rejected by the masses), I think there are some super fans that are eager to show support for that original and poor vision despite the 180 turns by the company?

Very Well stated @SolidTy but at the same time, this is happening with all forms of media.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidTy

@MarcRecon said:

@SolidTy said:

@SexyPorkins said:

Very Well stated @SolidTy but at the same time, this is happening with all forms of media.

Yes, that is true. From Comic Books to movies to books. It's a money saver for companies. It can also be a money saver to the consumers as well. The problem is when DD content is not cheaper, as is with new console DD games. With other forms of digital media, there are again as I stated above for PC games, various outlets to buy the digital media so we see sales constantly. We don't see the same kind of competition when there is only one store to buy on the Xbone for instance. It's pretty standard, every game is $60 in DD form and I don't see the upside when there is a better alternative for $60 for the consumer. I am not advocating we stop DD, I'm just more curious on the current mindset to buy console DD so early and not at least wait for the DD games to go on sale with all that is lost. Especially with console DD where there is no competition for DD pricing and there is only a single console store for consumers to shop at per console (in this case Xbox Store).

I own probably a thousand DD games across my multiple machines, but I know when I bought those DD games I gave up my consumer rights to sell/trade/rent/borrow/lend/collect/gift/used, and considering I did that, I made sure to pay pennies on the dollar for the DD games.

I understand it's a wave that companies are pushing, and I'm not calling for the end of DD. I'm merely wondering why buy at the full $60 price point considering all that's lost. I would understand if the game was $20 for DD and S60 physical, but when they cost the same, where is the benefit?

In the case of other forms of DD, I would also suggest the same. Why buy at full digital price when you lose options, but I'll keep this on games since it keeps my point simpler. I'm not mocking him, I am just curious since I am a fellow gamer and I can't for the life of me see the upside to paying full price for console DD.

SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SexyPorkins

@SolidTy I love all digital because of the convenience it brings and the fast swapping features. It also allows less storage space than multiple cases laying around. Not worried about the HDD size as I can just connect a SSD or other external drive. Memory is cheap these days.

I was also all for Microsoft's original vision as I was planning on going all digital this generation. So what if I had to "check in" my console every 24 hours by logging in to Live? Every time I turn my console on, it is connected to Live. To play any game I've downloaded off Steam I must be connected to their network so I don't why people flipped out. I feel like this situation was blown way out of proportion and people crying and moaning cost me and other people who can actually think for themselves, awesome features like game sharing, etc.

To each his own I guess. Have fun no matter how you choose to play your games!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidTy

@SexyPorkins said:

@SolidTy I love all digital because of the convenience it brings and the fast swapping features. It also allows less storage space than multiple cases laying around. Not worried about the HDD size as I can just connect a SSD or other external drive. Memory is cheap these days.

I was also all for Microsoft's original vision as I was planning on going all digital this generation. So what if I had to "check in" my console every 24 hours by logging in to Live? Every time I turn my console on, it is connected to Live. To play any game I've downloaded off Steam I must be connected to their network so I don't why people flipped out. I feel like this situation was blown way out of proportion and people crying and moaning cost me and other people who can actually think for themselves, awesome features like game sharing, etc.

To each his own I guess. Have fun no matter how you choose to play your games!

Thanks for the response.

Convenience I covered, logically that's the main draw to me. The drawbacks are numerous as I outlined, but depends on what you prioritize. In your case you prioritize the convenience at a premium and I understand that. As I suspected in my previous post, you were on board with the original Xbone DRM vision and are supporting that DD initiative to this day in your own way:

"The only thing I've been able to put together is ever since the mega-flop of the original Xbone vision to push digital (rejected by the masses), I think there are some super fans that are eager to show support for that original vision despite the 180 turns by the company?"

I follow you, whatever floats our boats, haha.

With regards to your final line:

Definitely all about the fun in the end. True That. Have a wonderful day! :)

SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SexyPorkins

@SolidTy I can understand people not wanting any sort of DRM that do not have an internet connection and only play offline games (whoever doesn't have any internet connection and doesn't play anything online in this day and age, has to be rare) and the right they have to voice that concern. I don't like that we lost features because people complained and others jumped on the bandwagon and forced Microsoft's hand to reverse the original vision and what I consider to be dumbing down the console.

I don't understand people who sign in to Live every day on their console to enjoy their gaming experience to be so against the original vision. It was going to offer so much more than we currently offer. I could have shared a game with my friend that lives hours away without having to give him the actual disc. It was also going to help bring down GameStop's monopoly on the used game market and force down the cost of used games in general and more than likely, digital games. Instead I feel like we have hamstrung "next gen" consoles to being PS 3.1 and Xbox 360.1.

I can also understand the draw that some having an actual physical game collection.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@MarcRecon said:

@SolidTy said:

@SexyPorkins said:

Yes, that is true. From Comic Books to movies to books. It's a money saver for companies. It can also be a money saver to the consumers as well. The problem is when DD content is not cheaper, as is with new console DD games. With other forms of digital media, there are again as I stated above for PC games, various outlets to buy the digital media so we see sales constantly. We don't see the same kind of competition when there is only one store to buy on the Xbone for instance. It's pretty standard, every game is $60 in DD form and I don't see the upside when there is a better alternative for $60 for the consumer. I am not advocating we stop DD, I'm just more curious on the current mindset to buy console DD so early and not at least wait for the DD games to go on sale with all that is lost. Especially with console DD where there is no competition for DD pricing and there is only a single console store for consumers to shop at per console (in this case Xbox Store).

I own probably a thousand DD games across my multiple machines, but I know when I bought those DD games I gave up my consumer rights to sell/trade/rent/borrow/lend/collect/gift/used, and considering I did that, I made sure to pay pennies on the dollar for the DD games.

I understand it's a wave that companies are pushing, and I'm not calling for the end of DD. I'm merely wondering why buy at the full $60 price point considering all that's lost. I would understand if the game was $20 for DD and S60 physical, but when they cost the same, where is the benefit?

In the case of other forms of DD, I would also suggest the same. Why buy at full digital price when you lose options, but I'll keep this on games since it keeps my point simpler. I'm not mocking him, I am just curious since I am a fellow gamer and I can't for the life of me see the upside to paying full price for console DD.

Yeah, I'm kinda in the middle with the whole DD issue.I would be behind it 100% if convenience wasn't the only incentive but just as you have said, companies are saving money by cutting out the middle man. But they are not passing those savings on to the consumer and the whole ownership issue has me SERIOUSLY worried.