Dark Souls or Dark Souls II - your recommendation

#1 Posted by craigkelleigh (327 posts) -

Hi - I have played some of Dark Souls and I kinda got a bit frustrated and gave up (I think I tried to play it too fast) - but I lent my game to a friend of mine and he finished it and we have been discussing parts of it and he has got me interested in playing it......

I was wondering if I should just skip to Dark Souls II as basically it is a newer game with better graphics etc and I like the idea of the fast-travel system and the fact that enemies don't re-spawn after a certain number of deaths - maybe this might make it not quite so daunting.....

or should i just bite the bullet and start Dark Souls again....

thoughts?

:)

#2 Posted by XOne_ShotX91 (151 posts) -

Fast Travel alone isnt worth skipping a whole game for the sequel. I havent played much of Dark Souls. I just started it earlier today, but Ive had it before and I got too frustrated that I decided to get rid of it. Now that it's free, I downloaded it and promised to play through it this time, regardless of how much is frustrates me, lol. Regardless, better graphics and such shouldnt matter. I wouldnt skip it if I were you, from what Ive heard, it's harder than the first.

I'll buy it when it gets down to $20 or so. Im not going out to buy a game that I know will make me angry for $60, lol.

#3 Edited by BattleSpectre (5963 posts) -

You're doing it wrong firstly, play them in this order Demons Souls > Dark Souls > Dark Souls 2. Just remember these games aren't for everybody so if you don't like them, than move on.

#4 Posted by Gum_Bercules (8466 posts) -

You can jump into any of them since they aren't direct sequels or anything. I have never played Demon Souls, but DS1 is a great, albeit frustrating game. Just take it slow and learn from your mistakes.

#5 Posted by XOne_ShotX91 (151 posts) -

You're doing it wrong firstly, play them in this order Demons Souls > Dark Souls > Dark Souls 2. Just remember these games aren't for everybody so if you don't like them, than move on.

He might not have a PS3. Otherwise, while the user above is correct that none of the games feed into each other, you really should play Demons Souls aswell. I thought it was a bit harder than Dark Souls is, but it's still worth picking up. You can probably find it for about $10 at any local stores, if you have them in your area.

#6 Edited by craigkelleigh (327 posts) -

Hi - no - i don't have a PS3 so most probably wont get to play Demons Souls........

I think basically I want to challenge myself and actually finish a Dark Souls game - especially after all of their hype - but I really only have time to play one of them (so many more games sitting on the shelf....) - so it is whether I give Dark Souls a go again or just pick up Dark Souls 2 and concentrate on that..... :)

#7 Posted by Mesomorphin (813 posts) -

Dark souls 2 easily triumphs all over Dark Souls 1

#8 Posted by Mercuria1_King (276 posts) -

Agreed.

This series must be played in order.