Can't even play my Xbox One -- NO 1080i!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jamejame (10474 posts) -

Hardware itself is fine but I'd love to know whose idea it was to make the Xbox One incompatible with 1080i? If this was broadcasted before release, I sure as hell missed it. My TV's highest resolution is 1080i. It's an old tube, but it's got a freaking gorgeous picture in my personal opinion -- and color is unmatched. I actually owned an HDTV and got rid of it due to how much I realized I prefer and love this old boy. Really don't want to have to get rid of it but it looks as though it's my only option. I'd love to pick up a new TV on Black Friday but unfortunately, having just picked up a PS4 and One, that's off the cards for at least 2 months with my budget the way it is. Major, major bummer knowing I won't be able to play my One in it's glory (seriously, games look great in 1080i on this thing for some reason, it's witchcraft). To be fair, I can still play but I'm forced to play in 480p which looks like an SD youtube video -- it's awful. Really bummed about this. Was so stoked on my new console, bought three games for it and it looks as though I'm stuck with my PS4 only for awhile -- major disappointment.

#2 Edited by BattleSpectre (5945 posts) -

That's a bummer mate, sad to say but I think we all had to move on an ol' girl we loved once before. Look at the Samsung range for your new toy you can't go wrong there in my opinion.

#3 Posted by Evdne971 (214 posts) -

I had to move on from monitor, alas she's in a better place now, watching 4k TV sipping LED liquid from a fancy tea cup.

#4 Posted by gagit811 (3564 posts) -

Had this same issue when the ps3 launched. It supported 1080i but all the games were 720p at best, which my tv didn't support. So I was stuck playing games at 480p, it's funny because the 360 would scale an output at whatever resolution you set it to.

You are stuck to the same solution I came to, it's time to buy a new tv. Theses new systems aren't made for old tvs, they are hdmi only and if you have a newer tv of the past 5 years they will accept 1080p and lower. It's just time to upgrade, it sucks but the tvs are much cheaper now with descent picture qaulity.

#5 Posted by driftingsilvia (4089 posts) -

I thought all HD tv's supported 720p? Does it not work on that either?

#6 Posted by drewschebag (28 posts) -

^ yeah. If it can go as high as 1080i then you can set the box to output at 720.

#7 Posted by KHAndAnime (13087 posts) -

1080i is worse than 720p for video games. 1080i isn't actually a higher resolution than 720p, and looks worse in motion. That's why they didn't include it...

#8 Posted by Randolph (10322 posts) -

Some very early CRT HDTVs had 480p and 1080i only. Most of those are over ten years old though, so I'm not sure what the people doing all this complaining want. It's like me having a TV from the 80's and complaining that MS didn't have an RF adapter made for the system. You can get a really good 32 inch HDTV with all resolutions for less than an Xbone, and that includes quality brands like Samsung. You can get a 40 inch one for not much more than an Xbone. Their really is no excuse to still have these old TVs, but still be buying new cutting edge technology for them and expecting the companies that make them to accommodate for grossly outdated sets.

Time to move on up, guys.

#9 Posted by sukraj (21430 posts) -

sorry to hear that lol maybe its time to upgrade ur tv.

#10 Posted by jekyll (9140 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@driftingsilvia said:

Some very early CRT HDTVs had 480p and 1080i only. Most of those are over ten years old though, so I'm not sure what the people doing all this complaining want. It's like me having a TV from the 80's and complaining that MS didn't have an RF adapter made for the system. You can get a really good 32 inch HDTV with all resolutions for less than an Xbone, and that includes quality brands like Samsung. You can get a 40 inch one for not much more than an Xbone...

A good 32" is about half an Xbox One and even the 40" should be less. And if you're willing to brave Black Friday...

#11 Posted by driftingsilvia (4089 posts) -

So do they support only 1080p or what? or just no 1080i

#12 Posted by KHAndAnime (13087 posts) -

So do they support only 1080p or what? or just no 1080i

1080P is supported. 720P is supported. 1080i isn't supported because it has poor performance for videogames.

#13 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

1080i is worse than 720p, put the xbox one on 720p for your tv. 1080i has more blur, interlaced leaves a ghost trail.

#14 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@Randolph:

I bought my 1080i CRT, seven years ago and even to this day, I like the picture quality better than my 720p and 1080p flat screens. Nothing beats those deep blacks even to this day.

But here's the messed up thing. You look at my seven year old TV like it is ancient. Yet I remember a time when a television was supposed to last you 20 years. Now days our televisions are disposable.

TV manufacturers will do this shit again in the near future and try to push 4K resolutions while making 1080p obsolete. This will only be a sales scam though since the human eye will not be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K in a living room environment. This is already somewhat true with 1080p.

#15 Posted by BattleSpectre (5945 posts) -

@Murderstyle75: Can you post a picture of this TV please? It sounds cool I'd like to see it.

#16 Edited by daquake (1 posts) -

Don't forget the half a dozen Panasonic plasmas that only support 480i, 480p or 1080i. This is my dilemma, so I'm stuck at 640x480 til I buy a new set or come up with an hdmi scaler to drop the 1080p signal to 1080i.

Edit: my model is the Panasonic TH-42PD25

#17 Posted by Randolph (10322 posts) -

@Randolph:

TV manufacturers will do this shit again in the near future and try to push 4K resolutions while making 1080p obsolete. This will only be a sales scam though since the human eye will not be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K in a living room environment. This is already somewhat true with 1080p.

If they wait until 4k resolution TVs are as dirt cheap as 720p/1080p HDTVs are now, I wouldn't really mind.

#18 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@BattleSpectre:

Well the TV is now at my dad's house but the model is the Samsung TX3080WH.

#19 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@Randolph:

I think you would mind because most of your media would require massive upscaling which wouldn't look nearly as pretty as viewing in their native resolution.

#20 Posted by Bishop1310 (872 posts) -

It's 2013... go buy a 1080p tv or play games in 720..

#21 Posted by quatoe (5664 posts) -

It's 2013... go buy a 1080p tv or play games in 720..

Not everyone has the money to do so, just like the TC said, the budget is not there for another 2 months. It is not as simple and going out and getting a new TV if you cannot afford one at the moment.

#22 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@jamejame:

Does your HDTV at least support a 720p signal? If its anything like mine, the problem would be that it doesn't have HDMI. If the set will in fact support a 720p signal and scale it to 1080i, it could be possible to run an adapter to convert HDMI to either DVI or component from monoprice.