Can I use external hard drive to store my game on my 4GB xbox 360 ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sid0210 (4 posts) -
I tried to attached my 500GB hard drive with xbox 360 console and it appear memory section of xbox... it gives some option and ask to format it. I am wondering if i could use external hard drive instead of buying 250GB Microsoft Xbox HDD which is really expensive...
#2 Posted by sid0210 (4 posts) -
Also, Can some one tell me why ebay selling 250GB xbox hard drive in just $50-$60 only.... it's saying "This hard drive is made by flashing" what does it mean? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-250GB-HARD-DISK-DRIVE-HDD-XBOX-360-SLIM-250-GB-/220702099942?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3362dec9e6
#3 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -
When you "Format" the drive, you are only allowed to utilize 16 GB per USB storage device for Xbox 360 game files. Even if the drive is 1 TB. So, in a way Microsoft is still in control of your large storage options because the only way to have more than 16 GB on a single device is to use an official 360 HDD. Note: Even if you don't "Format" a USB drive for your 360, you CAN use all of its space to read media like MP3's, video and pictures. I have a 1 TB USB HD connected to the rear USB port of my 360. All my music and pictures and video are there and I can select that device when viewing pics, vids or listening to music on my 360.
#4 Posted by GrizzlyAnimal (20 posts) -
Damn 60$ For 250gb Hard Drive Ima have To look In To That if it's Official im Gonna Have to Grab One Cant Go wrong for 60 Thanks For The Info
#5 Posted by sid0210 (4 posts) -
Thanks for quick response!!! ohh I see... I was trying to attached my external hard drive with front USB port ...will try to attache back side so atleast i could play song and see my pics over xbox... I got idea...i will buy 16GB pen drive and will attached with xbox console and use it to store my game... hope it will work...any doubt or suggestion?
#6 Posted by Katsumic (253 posts) -

Damn 60$ For 250gb Hard Drive Ima have To look In To That if it's Official im Gonna Have to Grab One Cant Go wrong for 60 Thanks For The Info GrizzlyAnimal

They are not official. They are made by taking a normal laptop hard drive and configuring it so that to the Xbox, it looks like an official hard drive. I would assume that Microsoft has a way to ban these if they decide to.

#7 Posted by Katsumic (253 posts) -

Thanks for quick response!!! ohh I see... I was trying to attached my external hard drive with front USB port ...will try to attache back side so atleast i could play song and see my pics over xbox... I got idea...i will buy 16GB pen drive and will attached with xbox console and use it to store my game... hope it will work...any doubt or suggestion?sid0210

You can use up to two USB storage drives - so in essence, 16GB x 2. I know that you can install games / DLC / etc. to them :)

#8 Posted by GrizzlyAnimal (20 posts) -

i was just gonna go looking for more info about it thanks for the heads up Katsumic

#9 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -

[QUOTE="sid0210"]Thanks for quick response!!! ohh I see... I was trying to attached my external hard drive with front USB port ...will try to attache back side so atleast i could play song and see my pics over xbox... I got idea...i will buy 16GB pen drive and will attached with xbox console and use it to store my game... hope it will work...any doubt or suggestion?Katsumic

You can use up to two USB storage drives - so in essence, 16GB x 2. I know that you can install games / DLC / etc. to them :)

And it doesn't matter if a device is plugged into the front or the back. I just keep it plugged in the back so that the front ports are open if I want to connect a play and charge cord.
#10 Posted by sid0210 (4 posts) -
Thanks everyone.. I found one more heck if somebody want to use regular laptop hard drive with xbox 360.. http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-guides/xbox-360-guides/3152-xbox-360-how-hack-250gb-sata-drive-work-xbox-360-xbox-360-slim.html But i think it's better to buy 250 hdd from ebay in just $50
#11 Posted by magicalclick (22217 posts) -
Yeah, just get the official HDD. It is simple as plug it in and no limitations.
#12 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -
I thought I had heard from somewhere that if you use a hacked hard drive on your console, it might be possible to have your console banned.