Best Sandbox Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by EmpireRecords (3 posts) -
I'm pretty new to gaming, and have realized that my favorite types of games are sandbox - I like that you have a nice balance of talking and action, with plenty of freedom to roam around. I haven't actually purchased a 360 yet (saving up!) but should be getting one in a few months, so any recommendations on great sandbox games would be really helpful. To give you more of an idea of what I'm looking for, I just have to say that the new Infamous game (I know it's on PS3) looks AWESOME, but I think I'm still going to get a 360 because the game selection and quality as of now seems to be better. (But my main interest is sandbox, so if you think I'd be better off getting a PS3 please let me know!) I'm also a fan of GTA, but again, Infamous is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. So anything besides GTA, Prototype (which I'll probably rent), or that spiderman game everyone always recommends; because I already know about those, and am looking for some other games. Thanks everyone.
#2 Posted by craigalan23 (15879 posts) -

Saints row 1/2 and Crackdown are both excellent titles. Crackdown is actually my favorite sandbox game.

#3 Posted by Dart_Mcloud (2040 posts) -

ES4: Oblivion

Fallout 3

#4 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

Crackdown is great.

#5 Posted by Amster_G (4289 posts) -

Besides the ones already mentioned above, Assassin's Creed.

#6 Posted by Dave8D2 (247 posts) -

Red Faction: Guerilla and Prototype.

#7 Posted by orb_03_2006 (8494 posts) -
GTA4 & Fallout 3
#8 Posted by magdalene1 (407 posts) -

Besides the ones already mentioned above, Assassin's Creed.

Amster_G

I second Assassins Creed as a recommendation for you. The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both amazing games and two of my all time favorites, but I also really liked Assassins Creed, and it seems like it may be more to your liking based on what you said you were looking for.

#9 Posted by scouttrooperbob (2439 posts) -

You ,ight like mercenaries 2 but its not as good as the ones above.

#10 Posted by james_sharpen (13 posts) -
this is how i rate some sand box games i've played (all consoles) 1. gta san andreas 2. mafia II 3. the godfather II 4. gta VI 5. red dead redempution 6. the godfather 7. mafia: lost city of heaven 8. gta vice city 9. gta liberty city storys
#11 Posted by JStroud88 (626 posts) -

Crackdown 1 & 2, Crackdown 2 got pretty average reviews. 7.0-7.5 range but I actually had the most fun and put the most time into that game than any other Sandbox game. It is a blast tracking down all the orbs, and just causing destruction.

GTA 4, another great game. The downloadable content expansions for this game are great and extend the length of the game quite a lot.

Edit: Completely forgot the Assassins creed games! Assassins creed 1 is not as fun compared to 2 and Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood, but they are all great games.

#12 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

Mafia 2

#13 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="james_sharpen"]this is how i rate some sand box games i've played (all consoles) 1. gta san andreas 2. mafia II 3. the godfather II 4. gta VI 5. red dead redempution 6. the godfather 7. mafia: lost city of heaven 8. gta vice city 9. gta liberty city storys

STOP bumping threads CMON
#14 Posted by Stevo7991 (1319 posts) -

this is how i rate some sand box games i've played (all consoles) 1. gta san andreas 2. mafia II 3. the godfather II 4. gta VI 5. red dead redempution 6. the godfather 7. mafia: lost city of heaven 8. gta vice city 9. gta liberty city storysjames_sharpen
What the heck is it with people bumping old threads..? There's always gotta be someone each day to bump a thread, this thread was made a year ago.

#15 Posted by riou7 (10832 posts) -

Fallout 3 and Red dead redemption

#16 Posted by darkHOOK (92 posts) -

wtf nobody mentioning just cause 2 :O most epic sandbox game ever created :)