Best position for the 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by frob1965 (50 posts) -

Im getting a 360 in a few days and i just want to make sure i dont do anything stupid. So i was wandering if anybody could tell me the safest position to have the 360, like vertical or horizontal. Thanks

#2 Posted by St_JimmyX (3061 posts) -

Why don't you search the forums. A thread like this pops up everyday.

#3 Posted by frob1965 (50 posts) -

Iwill do that and see what i can find. thanks.

#4 Posted by SparkeyMark86 (161 posts) -

Im getting a 360 in a few days and i just want to make sure i dont do anything stupid. So i was wandering if anybody could tell me the safest position to have the 360, like vertical or horizontal. Thanks

frob1965

Put the 360 in a place that does not block any air. Put it horizontal.

#5 Posted by Recontrooper (1012 posts) -
Well, definitely keep it horizontal if you bump your 360 while its playing a game and vertical it will scratch the disk up.
#6 Posted by frob1965 (50 posts) -

Im guessing almost everybody has theirs horizontal. thanks

#7 Posted by Hotwire246 (848 posts) -

Im guessing almost everybody has theirs horizontal. thanks

frob1965
Surprisingly no. And some people seem to think its better to have it vertical because the air circulates better that way, which anybody with common sense will know to be false. Also one of the main causes of RRoD is that the heatsink solder melts and the heatsink comes out of place, which wouldnt happen if it was horizontal because it would be lying flat and wouldn't move, but vertical it would get pulled down by gravity making it move out of place.
#8 Posted by Vashn (1416 posts) -

i have mine vertical, seems like if you cover up the side by putting it horizontal it would make it alot hotter, with all those holes and what not. And because i can't put it horizontal in my Home theatre set up

#9 Posted by PrincePwnStar (409 posts) -

Mine says it likes it horizontal. Gets the best action that way. It makes it easier to push it's buttons, I really know how to turn it on. The tray works best with the ol' in and out when it is on it's horizontal. We had some of our best moments when it is horizontal, it always knows how to send me to bed tired that way. So my final verdict is horizontal.

#10 Posted by Vashn (1416 posts) -

Mine says it likes it horizontal. Gets the best action that way. It makes it easier to push it's buttons, I really know how to turn it on. The tray works best with the ol' in and out when it is on it's horizontal. We had some of our best moments when it is horizontal, it always knows how to send me to bed tired that way. So my final verdict is horizontal.

PrincePwnStar

reverse missionary

#11 Posted by Colin1192 (6221 posts) -

I have mine vertical.

#12 Posted by b2trumpet (145 posts) -

It will scatch disc in either way, and it will get the RROD either way. Though I think the rate of scratched discs decreses when horizontal.

#13 Posted by ieatnoobs18 (1190 posts) -
mines Horizontal. Its easer to put disks in and i think it gets better air circulation.
#14 Posted by Zensword (3885 posts) -

At first I placed it horizontally but later I changed its position to vertical because I thought that would help makethe ventilation better.

#15 Posted by icecoldkilla25 (45 posts) -

doggystyle

#16 Posted by Xbot_720 (833 posts) -

reverse cowboy

#17 Posted by magicalclick (22448 posts) -
Both are good, but the above style is the best.
#18 Posted by todsnet (427 posts) -

PrincePwnStar
My sides are hurting for laughing, quit it..lol
#19 Posted by todsnet (427 posts) -

Mine is horizontal, no other way to set it in my setup.

#20 Posted by venomdeo (615 posts) -

I hear vertical scratches discs alot .Thats why my 360 is not!

#21 Posted by ieatnoobs18 (1190 posts) -
dirty sanchez
#22 Posted by Kill_Switch0012 (62 posts) -

My was vertical but made weird sounds during late night gaming so I tried vertical and no problems and that thing about something being pulled down by gravity and distacting it is complete crap that happens if your one of those idoits that move your system around a lot on or off

#23 Posted by biggy887766 (177 posts) -
horizontal and on top of a game case for me...that way air comes in through all the vents.
#24 Posted by XXGamerfanXX (1066 posts) -
I'll put it Horizonal if i were you. It's much safer and it don't cover the Bottom vent of the Xbox 360. I been doing it since Christmas of 07. BTW. I got the Xbox 360 Elite version just so you know.
#25 Posted by CardiacKid07 (1225 posts) -
Horizontal.
#26 Posted by Wolfie600 (625 posts) -

frob1965

If you got the new xbox then dont worry about overheating just put it down and keep the discs clean that way ;)

#27 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

It should be horizontal. Also, don't place it in a cubbyhole or other areas were air circulation is poor. Keep it in an open area. Also, don't make the location too hot or too cold. This could damage the system. Keep the power box in a circulated area also. This will greatly decrease the chances of over heating. Hope this helps.

#28 Posted by mjpatrick (1020 posts) -

Horizontal, and keep the power source box away from it. That's one of the biggest sources of heat.

#29 Posted by zombehhhh (246 posts) -

It doesnt really matter. I have mine vertical but I heard that horizontal is better. I don't think it really matters.

#30 Posted by vevevd (29 posts) -

I have mine lying horizontal mainly due to my paranoia of it falling over and breaking.

#31 Posted by UT_Wrestler (16378 posts) -

The best ventilation is on the right-hand side when you have it positioned sideways. So the best way to position it is on its side and in a place where the the righthand side has plenty of breathing room.

#32 Posted by insane_metalist (5975 posts) -

Had my previous 360s horizontal and they were over heating sometimes. Ever since i turned it verticali had no problems.

#35 Posted by Trogeton (2776 posts) -

Horizontal.. less chance of it tipping over and less chance of the axel that spins the disc comming loose, and less chance of getting a scratches disc

#37 Posted by Rubberducky21 (44 posts) -

Horizontal is the way to go

#38 Posted by UT_Wrestler (16378 posts) -
Johnston, I already reported you for trolling. You're going to get banned if you keep talking like that.
#40 Posted by Johnston322 (46 posts) -

Write*

#41 Posted by bajablastsun (204 posts) -
Lol, jonhston is a little kid.
#42 Posted by GoreObsessed (8883 posts) -
Horizontal
#43 Posted by Ghost_702 (7405 posts) -
People say one is better than the other, but there's no reasonable advantage to having it in either position. I keep mine vertical and it runs perfectly fine, I prefer it that way. It has not once overheated or had any other problem (besides RRoD of course). However my brother only keeps his horizontal and he's also gotten the RRoD. It doesn't matter in which position you keep it so long as it's properly ventilated. Don't listen to all the hub-bub that other people are spewing about, just do whatever you find to be more convenient for your gaming set up.
#44 Posted by ShinjiEx (198 posts) -

Horizontal A the botom is exposed allowing for less air to be traped in the system which makes the fans run better. B gravity does it's job when playing a disk smother spin less scratches an disk read errors. C heat rises so those holes on top allow the system stay cooler. Tips the front should be facing to the right were is from you perspective you should be looking at the top of HDD why? the back end should be fully exposed with 3 or more feet of breathing room. the system should be in a open space "front back top" low to the grond why? the celling has more heat were the floor is cooler just like if you were in fire stay to the ground LOL ^_^