Are you getting Halo:The Master Chief Collection digital version or CD version ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

Poll Are you getting Halo:The Master Chief Collection digital version or CD version ? (31 votes)

Digital version 35%
CD version 65%

I'll be getting the digital version.What version will you be getting???Do tell,I'm curious!!!

• 
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

As a collector and consumer who likes the ability to LEND/BORROW/TRADE/SELL/COLLECT/GIFT my games, the answer is a physical, hardcopy of the game...for ANY CONSOLE game that offers physical.

Also, there is no CD version (This isn't 1995 game for Sega Saturn, PC, or Playstation 1). There isn't even a DVD version (2000 for PS2 or Xbox or PC). Master Chief Collection ships on as a Blu-Ray version (PS3//PS4/Xbone/Wii U[proprietary]) so I didn't vote in your poll as CD simply didn't make sense and quite simply is a 20 year old term at this point.

As far as these ports and remastered games, I'm not fond of them. I didn't drop $500 on an Xbone just to play games I already own. I'll pick this package up maybe next year for $20. I bought these new consoles to play and experience new games. That's my answer on any remastered games like Zelda Wind Waker HD, The Last of Us Remastered, Tomb Raider, or The Master Chief Collection. This particular 4 Halo game collection is a good deal compared to other remasters (reminds me of Orange Box package that included five games or the God of War Saga HD collection of five HD games), but this Halo package not up my alley as I own all these games and played them tons. I think the MCC collection has more value depending on how much you played the previous Halos and which Halos you own. I bought the previous Halos at full price, I played them tons, and I bought various collector's editions with statues and helmets that I just can't justify dropping another full $60 on very expensive games packages I still own.

However, for any games that are released in RETAIL PHYSICAL form on consoles, I'll always buy the console versions. Digital Copies should be cheaper. The greedy companies have us store their game's on our HDDs (500GB goes fast!), these companies save money not paying the retail middlemen royalties, they save money not shipping the game, they save money having us transport and download the game with our bandwidth (using our data caps!), they save money not printing on a Blu-Ray disc, they save money on not having to print a manual, and they save money not having to create a case with artwork, and they save money not having a potential used game making it's way to the market. THE COMPANIES WIN with every Digital Copy they sell, and consumers lose. Someone might proclaim, but Digital is the future! Well, guess what? That future isn't today and right now we have a better offering with non-DRM copies of physical console games to choose from.

One major reason I buy consoles and games is the lack of DRM. I own four gaming PCs and I use them mostly for exclusives and super cheap, on sale DD games. If I see a multiplat, I buy it on console the console version has no DRM and I am free to collect the game for later. Pass to my kids. Lend my games to friends and families with ease. Gift my games to my friends/family if I don't like the game or I'm done with it. Trade my games with friends/family for other games. Trade my games with companies or internet. Sell my games to friends/family/internet/companies. I am a PC gamer. I am a console gamer. If consoles go the way of DD-DRM-ONLY in 20 years, I will become a 100% PC gamer. Right now, consoles big advantage is non-DRM physical copies of games, and I'm not about to throw that away for convenience or being lazy. If I really want to be lazy, I can buy a console physical copy off Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Gamestop, etc from the comfort of my home.

YET these companies charge us the same price as RETAIL PHYSICAL COPIES?...and we LOSE consumer rights like LENDING/BORROWING/TRADING/SELLING/COLLECTING/GIFTING the game? There is no incentive at all to justify a digital copy other than it's merely convenient. You give up too much and you pay too much and the companies laugh all the way to the bank. No thank you. Not to mention one day in the future Xbox Live for Xbone will be shut off and when those Xbone servers go down, so does support for Xbone digital games. They will release an Xbone 2 or Xbox 4 or whatever. They can't keep supporting ancient platforms forever. Why would I subject myself to corporate overlords when I don't have to? Why would I give up my rights to sell my games? Why would I pay more money for less? None of those problems are an issue with physical console games...which by the way many of these physical games I bought gain value over time, which won't happen with Digital copies. Case in point my Starcraft copy on PC vs. my physical starcraft copy on N64 (My N64 copy is a collector's item now worth $$$!). Same for my copy of Diablo 1 on PC vs. my physical copy of Diablo 1 on Playstation. My physical copies I've been offered over a $100 or more for these old console physical games. Those are two examples and I have many games worth a pretty penny. Thank god for physical copies.

None of this was meant to be offensive, but I took to heart your OP when you said,

"Do tell,I'm curious!!!"

I provided an answer to satisfy your stated curiousity on why:

1. I avoid Digital on Consoles, and
  2. my personal feelings on MasterChief Collection and ports in general.

You were curious, so I hope you enjoyed the answer. This thread was barren when I clicked on it, so I did my best to put in some discussion points.

dono14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2  Edited By dono14
Member since 2009 • 275 Posts

What SolidTy said.

I see no reason to buy digital. I would much rather have a physical copy so I can sell it later if I so choose. Besides, unwrapping a physical copy is much more satisfying than simply downloading from Xbox Live.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I like to own what I pay for so yeah... physical version. Also I just like having it, it's not a game I will ever sell or trade so I want to see it and know it's there. I might fondle it a bit as well*.

*that might be a lie.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Halo MCC is a 45GB plus and extra 20GB update. 65GB of HDD space. The Xbox one HDD space is at a premium since the HDD is not user upgradable. No digital download versions for me.

500GB sounds like a lot but it is surprising how fast it goes.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidTy
@dono14 said:

What SolidTy said.

I see no reason to buy digital. I would much rather have a physical copy so I can sell it later if I so choose. Besides, unwrapping a physical copy is much more satisfying than simply downloading from Xbox Live.

Thank you. Sometimes I'm very discouraged what I read in forums and I do appreciate you took the time to read my post. :)

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

@Megavideogamer said:

Halo MCC is a 45GB plus and extra 20GB update. 65GB of HDD space. The Xbox one HDD space is at a premium since the HDD is not user upgradable. No digital download versions for me.

500GB sounds like a lot but it is surprising how fast it goes.

I am not sure what you mean here... Even the physical copy will need the same amount of space. And you can buy a larger HDD and plug it into your xbox one.

That being said, I dont buy digital for a couple of reasons. I like to have the physical disc so I can do with it as I please, and secondly, it is normally cheaper to buy the physical copy in store than digitally here in Australia.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I'm someone who typically always buys physical copies of games, but for some reason I went & bought the digital version (the first time I've ever pre-ordered/pre-downloaded a game before)... and it will be my last time I think. The reason I bought a digital copy is because this is a collection I will play regularly & I want to keep forever, so it's just easier having a digital copy (no disks).

But it's been a complete nightmare to download (download percentages kept on dropping for some reason & looking on the Xbox & Halo forums - I'm not alone). Took me 2 days to download. Ridiculous.

So definitely I'll be sticking with disks from now on.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#8 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@dono14 said:

What SolidTy said.

Thank you. Sometimes I'm very discouraged what I read in forums and I do appreciate you took the time to read my post. :)

I too have read your post and it was a good read.You came out with a lot of solid reasons on why you and probably most other people would want a hard disk copy of a console/PC game.But for myself,I started to buy digital when I bought into the Xbox One.I feel the same about music then I do about games.I don't buy albums anymore,I download music from iTunes.I'll be honest,there is no real benefit of digital except maybe being convienient.I don't have to go to a gaming/electronic store sometime in the morning or during the night.Which is a huge plus during deep freeze month's here in Canada.Simply download the game onto my Xbox One is a huge benefit for me,but that's just me.Everyone has their reasoning.I respect your view and the view of others.SolidTy you do make a good argument.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Digital already pre-loaded and ready to go baby

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

CD? We in the 90s?

I always buy hard copies for console games because I don't trust the online services to be on in 20 years time for me to download my games collection and play it.

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: You took the words right out of my mouth.

Since I knew I was never going sell this game ever, I went and pre-downloaded the game for the first time too.

The download was soooooo slow, and every time it went down to half.

Luckily I was house sitting for a rich couple, so you can say my problem was easily solved.

BronxBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BronxBomber
Member since 2003 • 13398 Posts

I can see getting the digital version since I will probably play this game nearly every day with a friend but then I also heard the download was crazy long. I got the disc version though. I did get Forza digital and love popping in and out of that game

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@SolidTy said:

However, for any games that are released in RETAIL PHYSICAL form on consoles, I'll always buy the console versions. Digital Copies should be cheaper. The greedy companies have us store their game's on our HDDs (500GB goes fast!),

You do realize that you need to fully install all X1 and PS4 games? Doesn't matter if you go physical or digital, it still requires the same amount of disk space to play the game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SolidTy

@JangoWuzHere said:

@SolidTy said:

As a collector and consumer who likes the ability to LEND/BORROW/TRADE/SELL/COLLECT/GIFT my games, the answer is a physical, hardcopy of the game...for ANY CONSOLE game that offers physical.

Also, there is no CD version (This isn't 1995 game for Sega Saturn, PC, or Playstation 1). There isn't even a DVD version (2000 for PS2 or Xbox or PC). Master Chief Collection ships on as a Blu-Ray version (PS3//PS4/Xbone/Wii U[proprietary]) so I didn't vote in your poll as CD simply didn't make sense and quite simply is a 20 year old term at this point.

As far as these ports and remastered games, I'm not fond of them. I didn't drop $500 on an Xbone just to play games I already own. I'll pick this package up maybe next year for $20. I bought these new consoles to play and experience new games. That's my answer on any remastered games like Zelda Wind Waker HD, The Last of Us Remastered, Tomb Raider, or The Master Chief Collection. This particular 4 Halo game collection is a good deal compared to other remasters (reminds me of Orange Box package that included five games or the God of War Saga HD collection of five HD games), but this Halo package not up my alley as I own all these games and played them tons. I think the MCC collection has more value depending on how much you played the previous Halos and which Halos you own. I bought the previous Halos at full price, I played them tons, and I bought various collector's editions with statues and helmets that I just can't justify dropping another full $60 on very expensive games packages I still own.

However, for any games that are released in RETAIL PHYSICAL form on consoles, I'll always buy the console versions. Digital Copies should be cheaper. The greedy companies have us store their game's on our HDDs (500GB goes fast!), these companies save money not paying the retail middlemen royalties, they save money not shipping the game, they save money having us transport and download the game with our bandwidth (using our data caps!), they save money not printing on a Blu-Ray disc, they save money on not having to print a manual, and they save money not having to create a case with artwork, and they save money not having a potential used game making it's way to the market. THE COMPANIES WIN with every Digital Copy they sell, and consumers lose. Someone might proclaim, but Digital is the future! Well, guess what? That future isn't today and right now we have a better offering with non-DRM copies of physical console games to choose from.

One major reason I buy consoles and games is the lack of DRM. I own four gaming PCs and I use them mostly for exclusives and super cheap, on sale DD games. If I see a multiplat, I buy it on console the console version has no DRM and I am free to collect the game for later. Pass to my kids. Lend my games to friends and families with ease. Gift my games to my friends/family if I don't like the game or I'm done with it. Trade my games with friends/family for other games. Trade my games with companies or internet. Sell my games to friends/family/internet/companies. I am a PC gamer. I am a console gamer. If consoles go the way of DD-DRM-ONLY in 20 years, I will become a 100% PC gamer. Right now, consoles big advantage is non-DRM physical copies of games, and I'm not about to throw that away for convenience or being lazy. If I really want to be lazy, I can buy a console physical copy off Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Gamestop, etc from the comfort of my home.

YET these companies charge us the same price as RETAIL PHYSICAL COPIES?...and we LOSE consumer rights like LENDING/BORROWING/TRADING/SELLING/COLLECTING/GIFTING the game? There is no incentive at all to justify a digital copy other than it's merely convenient. You give up too much and you pay too much and the companies laugh all the way to the bank. No thank you. Not to mention one day in the future Xbox Live for Xbone will be shut off and when those Xbone servers go down, so does support for Xbone digital games. They will release an Xbone 2 or Xbox 4 or whatever. They can't keep supporting ancient platforms forever. Why would I subject myself to corporate overlords when I don't have to? Why would I give up my rights to sell my games? Why would I pay more money for less? None of those problems are an issue with physical console games...which by the way many of these physical games I bought gain value over time, which won't happen with Digital copies. Case in point my Starcraft copy on PC vs. my physical starcraft copy on N64 (My N64 copy is a collector's item now worth $$$!). Same for my copy of Diablo 1 on PC vs. my physical copy of Diablo 1 on Playstation. My physical copies I've been offered over a $100 or more for these old console physical games. Those are two examples and I have many games worth a pretty penny. Thank god for physical copies.

None of this was meant to be offensive, but I took to heart your OP when you said,

"Do tell,I'm curious!!!"

I provided an answer to satisfy your stated curiousity on why:

1. I avoid Digital on Consoles, and
  2. my personal feelings on MasterChief Collection and ports in general.

You were curious, so I hope you enjoyed the answer. This thread was barren when I clicked on it, so I did my best to put in some discussion points.

You do realize that you need to fully install all X1 and PS4 games? Doesn't matter if you go physical or digital, it still requires the same amount of disk space to play the game.

Yes, I'm aware of that since I own both and even experiment with installing multiplats like COD and BF4 and Destiny on both machines to see which was faster installing. However, I do want to point out my post covered all the consoles. In fact, I have 500GB in one of my PS3s, and 1TB in another PS3. My 360s I have the largest HDD space available at the time which was 320GB, I believe. I plan on getting the 500GB for the 360 when I see a sale for that.

While on the subject, the Xbone's install process is incredibly slow for whatever reason after various tests. It's not like a close race, it's really slow. I haven't figured out why that is.

As far as isolating the argument to strictly the Xbone/PS4 installs and HDD space, for that particular point move on to the other reasons I listed instead. Thanks for reading my post btw.

@brimmul777 said:

@SolidTy said:
@dono14 said:

What SolidTy said.

I too have read your post and it was a good read.You came out with a lot of solid reasons on why you and probably most other people would want a hard disk copy of a console/PC game.But for myself,I started to buy digital when I bought into the Xbox One.I feel the same about music then I do about games.I don't buy albums anymore,I download music from iTunes.I'll be honest,there is no real benefit of digital except maybe being convienient.I don't have to go to a gaming/electronic store sometime in the morning or during the night.Which is a huge plus during deep freeze month's here in Canada.Simply download the game onto my Xbox One is a huge benefit for me,but that's just me.Everyone has their reasoning.I respect your view and the view of others.SolidTy you do make a good argument.

I respect that and I want to thank you for taking the time to read my post. In your situation, with Snow and my collector/NON-DRM policies I would probably ship from Amazon (use their prime 1 day shipping service) or something. Convenience is very nice, for sure...probably the main thing DD has going for it.

Funny you bring up music, I still buy CDs and even burn them on the PC and after and put them on my phone when I'm going to work out. haha. I do love having CDs in the old collection though. I have a 32GB memory card for the old smartphone.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

the retail collection

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

I like to actually own the game, CD always.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

ewwww those cheap little plastic discs need to be discontinued already.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

@DaBrainz said:

ewwww those cheap little plastic discs need to be discontinued already.

Get out... :O

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I am getting disk version only because I get it for 48 bucks plus 10 dollar credit at best buy. I'd rather have it digital but they give 0 discount or sale price.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Wow, 30 years later and people still can't get the name of the disc format correct. We went from CD to DVD to Blu-Ray, c'mon people.

And I'm buying it at retail so I can take it to a friends house.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

Physical because it'll be $40 cheaper for me to do it that way... lol.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Physical.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#23 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

There's little reason to go digital for any games(besides arcade games) at this point. Plus, by getting the disc version, I can bring it anywhere with me.

freakinFreddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By freakinFreddy
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

PHYSICAL COPIE! Because i love to open it, hold it and cuddle with it ;)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I'm getting the physical retail copy. I always go for physical whenever possible. For me it's not really the cost or being able to lend, trade, or sell it's mostly just for preference and convienence. I collect the games I buy and I enjoy having a physical showcase for them. I also find it more convienent to be able to install them whenever I want to and not have to be concerned about having to download them. Even if digital versions were significantly cheaper I'd still opt for physical.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#26 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Physical version . because my internet is too bad to download 70GB ....