Are there any region free games on the marketplace?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GinkgoKafka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GinkgoKafka
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

So I'm living in Japan and bought a used xbox 360 here, hoping that i could download games off the North American store. I just went and tried to buy the witcher 2 (its free btw) and it says its not compatible with my console. Are there any region free games on the marketplace that would work on Japanese console? And is there any way to search the market place by price?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@ginkgokafka said:

So I'm living in Japan and bought a used xbox 360 here, hoping that i could download games off the North American store. I just went and tried to buy the witcher 2 (its free btw) and it says its not compatible with my console. Are there any region free games on the marketplace that would work on Japanese console? And is there any way to search the market place by price?

Try buying physical/online copies of the Asian versions of games (Hong Kong versions).

Japan and wider Asia happen are under the same region-encoding so they'll will work on a Japanese machine. The only catch is you might not have Japanese language support as many Asian games only feature Chinese/English support (with manuals/packaging being typically in Chinese). If that bothers you shopping locally might be a good idea.

Just double check the languages included in Asian versions though. Generally speaking its safe to say a western game coming into the Chinese market will have English support. And sometimes a Japanese game moving into China will also include English... but occasionally you'll get Japanese games moving into the Chinese market that have only have Japanese support (but Chinese packaging)... I have like zero idea who these games are supposed to be selling to.

GinkgoKafka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GinkgoKafka

@Articuno76 said:

@ginkgokafka said:

Try buying physical/online copies of the Asian versions of games (Hong Kong versions).

Japan and wider Asia happen are under the same region-encoding so they'll will work on a Japanese machine. The only catch is you might not have Japanese language support as many Asian games only feature Chinese/English support (with manuals/packaging being typically in Chinese). If that bothers you shopping locally might be a good idea.

Just double check the languages included in Asian versions though. Generally speaking its safe to say a western game coming into the Chinese market will have English support. And sometimes a Japanese game moving into China will also include English... but occasionally you'll get Japanese games moving into the Chinese market that have only have Japanese support (but Chinese packaging)... I have like zero idea who these games are supposed to be selling to.

Well English is my native language so that would be perfect lol! But if I do that region migration thing, and change the marketplace to Hong Kong (SAR is the English one i think?) then theoretically there should be games on that marketplace that will have english and will work on the japanese console right?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@ginkgokafka said:

@Articuno76 said:

@ginkgokafka said:

Well English is my native language so that would be perfect lol! But if I do that region migration thing, and change the marketplace to Hong Kong (SAR is the English one i think?) then theoretically there should be games on that marketplace that will have english and will work on the japanese console right?

That's my understanding. I've never done this but that's the impression I get from reading around the Japanese web space. Failing that you can always import physical if you don't mind waiting (which seems to be the preferred method of Japan-based importers).

IIRC the 360 user accounts are region-locked so you'll need to make a new account with an Asian address. This might have changed though, as I know with the X1 you can access the digital storefronts of multiple regions simply by changing the region setting on the system itself.

GinkgoKafka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GinkgoKafka

@Articuno76 said:

That's my understanding. I've never done this but that's the impression I get from reading around the Japanese web space. Failing that you can always import physical if you don't mind waiting (which seems to be the preferred method of Japan-based importers).

IIRC the 360 user accounts are region-locked so you'll need to make a new account with an Asian address. This might have changed though, as I know with the X1 you can access the digital storefronts of multiple regions simply by changing the region setting on the system itself.

I was looking around and apparently you can change the region by "region migrating" Think you can only do it once every 3 months or something, but that would seem to be all it takes, if not then yeah a new account would be needed. Hope this works. I bought this xbox just because it was cheap and didnt realize i couldnt buy games off the N/A marketplace. Right now I can't access any games on my xbox though, it just says it doesnt exist, or page not found or somethign along those lines when i click on a game. And basically same thing when I try looking at games on the marketplace website so I'm assuming its down for maintenance or something? Hopefully works in the morning

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

And thats why I hate Microsoft