Are newer Xbox machines more reliability (RROD)

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

khalid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 khalid
Member since 2002 • 133 Posts

hello guys, first Xbox360 forum post,

did MS do anything to increase Xbox's reliability? in other words, are machines built in lets say January 2008 more reliable that ones made in Jan 2007?

Xbox is starting to get games that interest me, but RROD problem is big deal to me, since i don't know how good Microsoft service is here (UAE)

also, how can i know when a machine is made, is there a way by looking at the serial number on the box? Xbox doesn't sell too well here compared to PS3, so i think most machines in the market are older ones.

thanks in advance.

llSapphyrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 llSapphyrell
Member since 2007 • 805 Posts

did MS do anything to increase Xbox's reliability? in other words, are machines built in lets say January 2008 more reliable that ones made in Jan 2007?

Xbox is starting to get games that interest me, but RROD problem is big deal to me, since i don't know how good Microsoft service is here (UAE)

also, how can i know when a machine is made, is there a way by looking at the serial number on the box? Xbox doesn't sell too well here compared to PS3, so i think most machines in the market is older ones.

thanks in advance.

khalid

Hello.

I haven't got RRoD yet.

But I'll just give some info so you could be one of us soon.

My Xbox 360 is 4 months old, i play 3 hours a day.

It never got any problems.

The controller is VERY DURABLE. Bro, try playing C.O.D. 4 in Veteran Mode, the controller will be really tested in this game, but my Xbox 360 is still working like brand new.

Xbox 360 has many great games from all types.

Pls. join our family.

imdawiinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imdawiinner
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts
ive only had mine since christmas (got the pro system) but still ive had no problems.
MFDOOMED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MFDOOMED
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
I believe the newer machines are more reliable. I have had mine since launch and I have to return it (RROD) a couple of times. Just make sure if you have the option to get an extended warranty.
the_GUNN_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 the_GUNN_man
Member since 2003 • 2717 Posts

I have been wondering that too. I had a launch system go out on me 3 months ago and I never got RROD. The DVD drive burned out. I guess I cant complain because I spent enough time on it to get 100,000 worth of gamerscore. I figured out once that I got about 8 cents an hour of use from my launch 360. There were times I would leave it on for over 30 hours at a time. I would leave it on pause also for hours at a time. I have a second 360 I got about 18 months ago. So far that one has been working fine.

I do need a new wirless controller and I want a 360 with a HDMI port on it so I am thinking of also buying a new 360 but want to make sure more of the bugs are worked out. I figure that with the good luck I have been having that law of averages will catch up with me and deal me a crappy one soon. I just want to get the arcade version since I have all HD cables and hard drive. I found I can still sell my broken 360 for about $70 on ebay and I can sell the power brick seperate for another $40.

llSapphyrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 llSapphyrell
Member since 2007 • 805 Posts

I have been wondering that too. I had a launch system go out on me 3 months ago and I never got RROD. The DVD drive burned out. I guess I cant complain because I spent enough time on it to get 100,000 worth of gamerscore. I figured out once that I got about 8 cents an hour of use from my launch 360. There were times I would leave it on for over 30 hours at a time. I would leave it on pause also for hours at a time. I have a second 360 I got about 18 months ago. So far that one has been working fine.

I do need a new wirless controller and I want a 360 with a HDMI port on it so I am thinking of also buying a new 360 but want to make sure more of the bugs are worked out. I figure that with the good luck I have been having that law of averages will catch up with me and deal me a crappy one soon. I just want to get the arcade version since I have all HD cables and hard drive. I found I can still sell my broken 360 for about $70 on ebay and I can sell the power brick seperate for another $40.

the_GUNN_man

wow. you are the first person i saw that has that superhuman gamerscore.

it's an honor to meet you.

khalid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 khalid

thanks for the replys, i remember hearing something about new chips, falcon chip i think, was that a rumor?

lukeevans57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lukeevans57
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts
My xbox has got the RRoD 3 times in the last 4 months, overall ive owned it for 18 months now. Yesterday my console came back- same serial code- but this time its way way quieter and runs much better in my opinion. Theyve definatly put something different inside it since i was used to it sounding like a jet engine, now its quieter than my pc. So it could have the falcon chip, the main thing is it works and is quiet!
OWUaaronTSi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OWUaaronTSi
Member since 2003 • 252 Posts

also, how can i know when a machine is made, is there a way by looking at the serial number on the box? Xbox doesn't sell too well here compared to PS3, so i think most machines in the market are older ones.

thanks in advance.

khalid

Yea, they've improved the new ones by using a smaller .65nm cpu... they're starting to implement a .65nm gpu as well.... but if u want to be on the safe side, get the elite... it's already made with better parts and rearranged heatsink.. i've had mine for like 6 or so months with no probs at all... i went thru 3 pros before that. love the system tho

Decoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Decoy123
Member since 2004 • 816 Posts
im not sure cause at GDC supposidly microsoft opend up brand new 360s for the show .. 1 red ringed a few days in...
FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

No, newer Xboxs are not more reliable.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
[QUOTE="the_GUNN_man"]

llSapphyrell

wow. you are the first person i saw that has that superhuman gamerscore.

it's an honor to meet you.

Least he's a DT fan.

splintersix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 splintersix
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts

they r dont worry bout it

bleux7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bleux7
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
im not sure cause at GDC supposidly microsoft opend up brand new 360s for the show .. 1 red ringed a few days in... Decoy123
nope they were using refirbished models.
jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts

I believe the newer machines are more reliable. I have had mine since launch and I have to return it (RROD) a couple of times. Just make sure if you have the option to get an extended warranty. MFDOOMED

Yes extend your warranty. If you buy an Elite system then I think for sure it's got the new 65nm chip that is less likely to RRoD. The lesser 360 packages are more l;ikely to have the old 90nm. I'm not sure though. Look up the 360 Falcon chip I think.

Chris_Farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chris_Farmer
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

Checking the sticker and seeing it with a 175w power supply always guarantee you a falcon. The other thing you have to worry about is the dvd drive. Getting a BenQ (No holes, straight U cut in the center) drive is a great thing, getting the Hitachi (two cutouts on the lower part) will make your life and your ears miserable. I recently bought an Elite and thank God it was a BenQ drive. I used it for 3 hours straight with no problems but I haven't tested it that much yet especialy on RROD-inducing games. Have a look around your local electronics store and obtain the info from the sticker and input it on the filter bars on 360drives.com That way you can gauge the chances of getting a BenQ drive and gambling on a particular box on the retail store.

Another tip: If you don't mind the lack of hard drive, go for the Xbox 360 Arcade. It was just released in the UAE last January 10 and your chances of getting a BenQ drive there is a whole lot bigger.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
i think the new ones are better than the old ones
khalid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 khalid

thanks guys for the replys, that answered both my questions

Chris farmer, thanks for the info and the website.

last question, anyone had experiance with Microsoft service in UAE or a middel east? thier ME HQ is in UAE, so thats an advantage, faster shiping, etc

thanks again

sirkel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 sirkel28
Member since 2004 • 347 Posts
I hope you got a good 360, I had to fix my ring of death myself. So far so good, but it was a pain to fix. I just hope my DVD drive keeps working now. I also modded it a bit to add more cooling. Its a nice system just poorly designed in some respects. If it breaks I will be getting a PS3, mainly for the Blu-Ray.
monda44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 monda44
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

hey khalid! how r u? listen im n UAE too :D. look u can go to carrefour in any branch in abu dhabi or dubai, and get the arcade model for 850 dhs! and btw the new 360 is more realiable due to the falcon chipset. the ps3 is very expensive due to unwanted features such as wifi and blu ray. and in addition, the 360 offers more btr games as well. beleive me man, the new 360 model fail rate is 0.1%, and that is very good, unlike the old ones. if u wanted to make sure ur 360 is new, on the box of the 360 u will see a stamp, make sure it says 175w and not 203w. ive went to many places here in the uae and saw that all arcade models are falcon motherboards, so no worries but be sure to check. and also make sure u buy it for 850dhs. i hope i was helpful man, if u needed anything just ask salam ya boye!!!!

porky_ownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 porky_ownsu
Member since 2008 • 1287 Posts
i've had my 360 since feb. 06, and i haven't got rrod once!
SpecialED1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 SpecialED1020
Member since 2006 • 305 Posts

thanks in advance.

khalid

I doubt they would have gotten worse..

Shayan_zahid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shayan_zahid
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

hey khalid! how r u? listen im n UAE too :D. look u can go to carrefour in any branch in abu dhabi or dubai, and get the arcade model for 850 dhs! and btw the new 360 is more realiable due to the falcon chipset. the ps3 is very expensive due to unwanted features such as wifi and blu ray. and in addition, the 360 offers more btr games as well. beleive me man, the new 360 model fail rate is 0.1%, and that is very good, unlike the old ones. if u wanted to make sure ur 360 is new, on the box of the 360 u will see a stamp, make sure it says 175w and not 203w. ive went to many places here in the uae and saw that all arcade models are falcon motherboards, so no worries but be sure to check. and also make sure u buy it for 850dhs. i hope i was helpful man, if u needed anything just ask salam ya boye!!!!

monda44

Hi monda44 how r u i read ur post and i want to ask that Every branch of Carrefour in dubai has Xbox 360 arcade with falcon chip and is it for 850 DHS and plz reply me soon bcoz i have my sister in dubai and she is bringing Xbox 360 for me So plz hurry

McNulty5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 McNulty5
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts
Okay the guy who said an elite is more likely to have better parts, quite wrong, also about the dvd drives, essentially there are 4 major dvd drive types and they go as so, samsung which is fine, benq which is great, lite-on which is also great (most new consoles have lite-ons and all refurbed ones have lite-ons) and hitachi, which is god awful. If you buy a new 360 it will more than likely have either a BenQ or a Lite-On and it will have a Falcon chipset, meaning the fail rate is lower, it can still break but it's less likely.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Hi monda44 how r u i read ur post and i want to ask that Every branch of Carrefour in dubai has Xbox 360 arcade with falcon chip and is it for 850 DHS and plz reply me soon bcoz i have my sister in dubai and she is bringing Xbox 360 for me So plz hurryShayan_zahid

Don't drag very old topics back to the top.

If you want to ask a member a question click on their profile and send them a private message. With such a low level and post count I doubt monda44 has been back to Gamespot since posting

chance92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chance92
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
yes they are more reliable forget ps3 its whack and plus xbox 360 prices dropped and in fall well all have an upgrade on the dashboard! GET A 360!
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
falcon chipset is like ten times better its alot closer to a normal fail rate jasper is gonna be even better though might eliminate it all together.
Shayan_zahid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shayan_zahid

Checking the sticker and seeing it with a 175w power supply always guarantee you a falcon. The other thing you have to worry about is the dvd drive. Getting a BenQ (No holes, straight U cut in the center) drive is a great thing, getting the Hitachi (two cutouts on the lower part) will make your life and your ears miserable. I recently bought an Elite and thank God it was a BenQ drive. I used it for 3 hours straight with no problems but I haven't tested it that much yet especialy on RROD-inducing games. Have a look around your local electronics store and obtain the info from the sticker and input it on the filter bars on 360drives.com That way you can gauge the chances of getting a BenQ drive and gambling on a particular box on the retail store.

Another tip: If you don't mind the lack of hard drive, go for the Xbox 360 Arcade. It was just released in the UAE last January 10 and your chances of getting a BenQ drive there is a whole lot bigger.

Chris_Farmer

Does the Xbox 360 arcade in UAE really have a falcon chip and how much does it costs in Dubai and Sharjah reply ASAP

Shayan_zahid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shayan_zahid
Can anyone else tell me that Does the Xbox 360 arcade in UAE really have a falcon chip and how much does it costs in Dubai and Sharjah in carrefour reply ASAP plz
trw534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 trw534
Member since 2007 • 680 Posts
yes they pretty much fixed it
trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
[QUOTE="the_GUNN_man"]

llSapphyrell

same thing with mine I eventually bought another 360 but it was a second hand one with a RRod but lucky thing it was replaceable I eventually sold the launch one since it kept on pissing me off not reading games correctly

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes the rrod is rare in new xboxs
Elder-Scrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Elder-Scrolls
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts

the_GUNN_man

go get new dvd drive its prety easy mine also burned out but i got a new one installed for 50 bucks and now it works like a charm.

gettobun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gettobun
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts
Yes, newer systems are more reliable. I bought a pro 360 with hdmi in august of 07 and after doing some "research" (opening it up) I found that i has the new falcon chip and and extra heat sinc.
Shayan_zahid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shayan_zahid

Yes, newer systems are more reliable. I bought a pro 360 with hdmi in august of 07 and after doing some "research" (opening it up) I found that i has the new falcon chip and and extra heat sinc.gettobun

Did ur box of the xbox 360 have a stamp on it of 175w

p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts

yes and no those hitachi dvd drives are not as good as the benq ones luckily i have a benq drive how do i know i opened mine up

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#39 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

My 360 just died a few days ago.. I got it in July 2006, so it just hit the 2 year mark and died. I didn't play it that much either, but I still have it on warranty.

But from what I've heard, the new 360s should be more realiable since they use newer cpu than the old ones (less heat). I just hope I get a newer one and they don't try to fix my broken one.

hauklanglo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hauklanglo
Member since 2003 • 110 Posts
I know the frst productionlines of Xbox 360' used a crappy soldering wich is the main cause for the frequent RROD breakdowns. The new chip generate less heat, wich do not stress the soldering as much. I guess that new models both have a cooler chip and better soldering, but they probably still have the absolute crappiest DVD drives in existense. These DVD drives are starting to die from the day you start using them. Same as with the original Xbox. Anyone still got one of those with a working DVD drive?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts
ehh, PS3's got alot of great games coming soon (even more then the 360) so it's a better investment. besides paying that much hard earned money to a company that has put out a faulty badly designed system way too fast just to get a head start is a mystery to me.
Justinge3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 Justinge3
Member since 2008 • 2506 Posts
I think they put in the falcon chip, lowering rrod chances
xiayan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xiayan
Member since 2007 • 835 Posts
I had my 360 since 02/11/08, and never got a RROD, my xbox 360 constantly stays on due to a 2 guy 1 girl rotation someone is always playing the 360. (We all work different hours at jobs)
xiayan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xiayan
Member since 2007 • 835 Posts

ehh, PS3's got alot of great games coming soon (even more then the 360) so it's a better investment. besides paying that much hard earned money to a company that has put out a faulty badly designed system way too fast just to get a head start is a mystery to me.iwilson1296

Beat it fanboy, obviously you have never owned a XBOX 360, and your just going off the earlier build. I guess you don't remember the PS1 and the PS2 having overheatting problems? Remember most people would have to put their systems upside down to even get the disc to spin? Ya

SO you gave your money to a company that put out early faulty systems for 2 generations.

R_MAHIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 R_MAHIL
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts

thanks in advance.

khalid

firstly, welcome to the 360 forum.

personally, i think ms have definately made them more reliable.

my uncle bought one in 2006 hardly plays on it, got rrod 2 times.

i bought one 2007 play on it a few hours a day, never got rrod.

hope that answers your question

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]ehh, PS3's got alot of great games coming soon (even more then the 360) so it's a better investment. besides paying that much hard earned money to a company that has put out a faulty badly designed system way too fast just to get a head start is a mystery to me.xiayan

Beat it fanboy, obviously you have never owned a XBOX 360, and your just going off the earlier build. I guess you don't remember the PS1 and the PS2 having overheatting problems? Remember most people would have to put their systems upside down to even get the disc to spin? Ya

SO you gave your money to a company that put out early faulty systems for 2 generations.

i must be a fanboy because i said something negative about your precious xbox...fanboy. i did own a 360 as i had owned the previous xbox. the first xbox was a great system especially for fps's.but after i bought a 360 i noticed how loud and clunky the thing was, go on and stay in denial that it's not a bad design. but i sold my 360 before it broke and so i wouldn't have to go through the loop de loop treatment from their tech support (heard too many horror stories. and no i don't remember ever hearing about any sony system overheating.
isaacroscher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 isaacroscher
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
But what if you played it for longer time? Would you have problems? Cuz i have an xbox 360 and I played it for like six hours and stuff but it never got two red lights, which its supposed to do when it overheats. But my xbox has the rrod.
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

I've had two newer ones and they both have suffered from stupid hardware failures. I sent one in on June for a overheating hardware failuire. Now my current one is having a disk reading hardware failure. =-(

RadPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RadPie
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts
I've never RODD, and I've had my 360 for two year, it's never frozen, never given me sass, it's been as good to me as it can be. It's been so good I will continue on with XBOX in the next gen.