Are Astro A50's worth the money?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by tzolynski (52 posts) -

Thinking about getting a pair for 250$ are they worth the money?

#2 Posted by BattleSpectre (6536 posts) -

Check up some reviews online, see what others have to say about them.

#3 Posted by cyloninside (770 posts) -

i have been wrestling with this the last few days as well.... i have heard they are pretty much the best gaming headphones you can buy in terms of build and sound quality.... but damn, 250 dollars? and you have to buy the stereo adapter on top of that so add another 25. that seems pretty extreme.

#4 Posted by Undue_Influence (58 posts) -

It really depends on why you want them and what you expect to get out of them I guess. I bought some PX5's for $270 a few years ago as I needed wireless regarding distance from TV, and as a gaming headphone they are good, but the only major benefit I found was being able to isolate where footsteps / gunshots were coming from in an FPS. I found that I only used them when playing Black Ops or BF3, and not for other genres, so didn't really get my monies worth.

If you take a patient approach in a COD or Battlefield it will help your KDR and everything, but you need to really be into the genre or maybe want to game at night and not have the TV on or something. Really depends on personal circumstances but the value can be hard to justify with other options available.

#5 Posted by cyloninside (770 posts) -

@Undue_Influence said:

It really depends on why you want them and what you expect to get out of them I guess. I bought some PX5's for $270 a few years ago as I needed wireless regarding distance from TV, and as a gaming headphone they are good, but the only major benefit I found was being able to isolate where footsteps / gunshots were coming from in an FPS. I found that I only used them when playing Black Ops or BF3, and not for other genres, so didn't really get my monies worth.

If you take a patient approach in a COD or Battlefield it will help your KDR and everything, but you need to really be into the genre or maybe want to game at night and not have the TV on or something. Really depends on personal circumstances but the value can be hard to justify with other options available.

well, i work nights so obviously im up at night on my days off. i also have a baby and a wife that needs to sleep so she can get to work in the morning. having gaming headphones would be a godsend.... but 250 dollars plus a 25 dollar adapter seems outrageous. i have a 7.1 HT in my home, so i am used to exceptional sound, but i really cant use it at night for fear of waking everyone up.

i just dont know. i am finding it really hard to bring myself to spend 250 dollars on headphones....

#6 Posted by Undue_Influence (58 posts) -

It is a tough call, if you don't need wireless there are great options for like $120 so a wired headset could work better. I have also heard that the PS4 dedicated headset is really good, cheaper than the Astro's and compatible across systems and PC.

#7 Edited by tzolynski (52 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@Undue_Influence said:

well, i work nights so obviously im up at night on my days off. i also have a baby and a wife that needs to sleep so she can get to work in the morning. having gaming headphones would be a godsend.... but 250 dollars plus a 25 dollar adapter seems outrageous. i have a 7.1 HT in my home, so i am used to exceptional sound, but i really cant use it at night for fear of waking everyone up.

i just dont know. i am finding it really hard to bring myself to spend 250 dollars on headphones....

The headphone adapter is 30 bucks...... So since then i have been testing headsets, and i have tried the Microsoft official set, Turtle beach XO4, XO7 and the Titanfall Atlas. I planned on putting a post up on Sound Quality and what not since i have spent 3+ hours with all sets just to give people my thoughts on these new headsets. My biggest issue is interference... Everything in our houses runs on 2.4 so im getting some interference, and thats where the A50s come in as they run on 5.8 which not many things do. I also plan on checking out the A40s possibly just because they are wired and that would solve the interference problem also but they are only 50 bucks cheaper than the A50s so.... If anyone is on the fence about any pair i have mentioned let me know I can answer questions as well as i can. I spent a decent amount of time with Turtle beach just to get some answers since their website really doesnt go much into depth on the differences in the sets.