Anyone feel like GTA4 was better than GTA5?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sonny360Elite (1572 posts) -
GTA5 seems a little difficult and a lot different from GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA 4. It isn't the same at all. If you're looking to start a rampage to gain a lot of stars then if you aren't careful the cops will shoot you dead right away. You used to run around and get lit up with bullets before you'd actually die. For these reasons it's difficult to have fun outside of missions. Just running around causing mayhem is not the same fun it once was. Blowing stuff up etc. It is so much different. I'm not sure about the story mode yet but I'm not in love with this game yet.
#2 Posted by dominer (3313 posts) -

I haven't played GTA5, but it has to be better than GTA4. That game was bland in every way except the social satire.

#3 Posted by Sonny360Elite (1572 posts) -
Yea GTA4 wasn't so great but it was GTA so it was pretty awesome. It was really consistent with the other titles and a bit better for next-gen. This game though I went by punching out car windows and no one got out to fight me they just ran away. Old GTA games you can find gang vehicles and start stuff with them. I was looking to rob drug dealers and stuff. This one the cops showed up and I went to punch a cop, got shot twice and dropped dead. Old GTA games you could take 100 rounds and still walk around
#4 Posted by marcheegsr (2513 posts) -

Even though I loved GTA4 and played the heck out of it, I think GTA5 is way better in every aspect.

Graphics, story, shooting, driving, physics, side missions...

It does feel though like it has a higher learning curve.

#5 Posted by da_illest101 (7414 posts) -

I hate GTA 4 with a passion. GTA 5 is better in every possible way

#7 Posted by adders99 (2594 posts) -

Yea GTA4 wasn't so great but it was GTA so it was pretty awesome. It was really consistent with the other titles and a bit better for next-gen. This game though I went by punching out car windows and no one got out to fight me they just ran away. Old GTA games you can find gang vehicles and start stuff with them. I was looking to rob drug dealers and stuff. This one the cops showed up and I went to punch a cop, got shot twice and dropped dead. Old GTA games you could take 100 rounds and still walk aroundSonny360Elite

yeah I agree... and also if you kill 1 person in the street you will have the cops on you most of the time... in the older ones you could drive on the sidewalk mowing down people if you wanted as long as there wasnt a cop around.... its like although its a sandbox game they are trying to make you do the right thing and follow the rules.... btw I still enjoy gta 5 haha.

#8 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

Right now, I like GTA V at least as much as I like GTA IV (and the episodes), which I liked as much as Vice City, whereas my least-liked of the 3D games are GTA III and San Andreas, but they're still decent games.

My least favorites, are the first 2 games. At that time I had played games like Midtown Madness and Viper Racing on PC, so to have a game with a top-down camera, my first thought was, is there a way I can change the camera view to behind the guy.

GTA IV was a 'next-gen' GTA III (which was a next-gen GTA), whereas this is similar to if you combined GTA IV with the episodes and set the world in a next-gen San Andreas.

#9 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I think GTA IV story was better, I liked Niko and his friends more, and the world also felt a little more cohesive (with more interaction with stuff like street vendors), but GTA V seems much better in most ways.

#10 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

Unlock the cheat codes in GTA 5 to have more fun.

Personally I find this game much more fun than GTA IV.

#11 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

Beat both games.

GTA4 wins on story and characters.

GTA5 wins EVERYWHERE ELSE.

#12 Posted by HavocV3 (7934 posts) -

GTA IV was WAYYY worse for causing mayhem- GTA 4 tried too hard when it came to realism.  GTA5 didn't exactly ditch that realism, but it did find a good balance.  (I'd like to see it tip a little farther towards arcadey)

-GTA V allows you to carry a lot more weapons.  The RPG/Minigun/Grenade launchers are powerhouses and you can carry them ALL at once.

-GTA V's weapon wheel makes you even more potent as a one man army.  Switching through 10 different weapons while under fire...well..that didn't work well in GTA IV.

-GTA V offers better body armors.

-GTA V allows you to armor your cars.

-GTA V brought back some of that over-the-top stuff: Miniguns, Jets, Tanks. Hell....I don't think the base GTA IV game even came with parachutes...We had to wait for BoGT...just to get some of the fun stuff back (sticky bombs, parachutes, NOS)

-I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff, I just can't think of it right now.

Anyhow- GTAIV was NOT a bad game.  But it wasn't a particularly good GTA game.  GTAV is better in both ways.

#13 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5761 posts) -

I hate GTA 4 with a passion. GTA 5 is better in every possible way

da_illest101
Agreed. 5 is better than 4 in every single way.
#14 Posted by sukraj (22089 posts) -

I didn't like GTA IV GTA V is way better.

#15 Posted by BombingSystems (122 posts) -

GTA V wins in every compartment.

#16 Posted by GlitchOnMyLevel (96 posts) -

GTA V is by far the best GTA game ever imo. Online mode and cheats will be the back bone of this game. Man I wish the "Riot Cheat" was on V though.

#17 Posted by JannettyTRocker (1160 posts) -

GTA IV is one of my favorite games of all time, perhaps my second most favorite game (behind Castlevania : Symphony of the Night). I played GTA IV for hundreds of hours, and have completed it to 100% over and over. However, I just beat GTA V & am working on the side missions & trophies now, and I must say, GTA V is very similar to GTA IV, but it's like GTA IV on steroids, and in a much prettier environment. There's just so much to do & so much to explore, it's amazing. The only complaint about GTA V that I have is that they've "dumbed down" the vehicle handling so it feels like you're driving a vehicle in GTA : San Andreas. I would have much preferred them to use the same physics for driving from GTA IV, but I get that they changed it due to a lot of complaints that they were getting. Still, other than that, the game is phenomenal, right up there with GTA IV on my list.

#18 Posted by CTR360 (6975 posts) -
i love GTA IV but GTA V its next gen and superior game for me
#19 Posted by DemonicBrew (11 posts) -

gta5 is soooooo amazing i dont even wanna think about 4 now.

#20 Posted by XboxGuy1537 (2359 posts) -

The difficulty level and learning curve is very steep so far...

#21 Posted by MickeyTheNinja (3822 posts) -
I love GTAIV, but remember mostly nothing about the story. Except I did have fun, and didn't get annoyed like most people about the phone calls for friends to hang out. But GTAV is better in nearly every regard. It doesn't have the car damage, but does other things with car damage that are great. But if you feel the game is harder, that's because it is. And boohoo hoo HOO HOOOO cry about it. Go play IV if you want to run around like a cartoon and kill stupid cops for 15 minutes. GTAV doesn't need mindless cop killing to be fun.
#22 Posted by HilbillyRokstar (3236 posts) -

I love GTAIV, but remember mostly nothing about the story. Except I did have fun, and didn't get annoyed like most people about the phone calls for friends to hang out. But GTAV is better in nearly every regard. It doesn't have the car damage, but does other things with car damage that are great. But if you feel the game is harder, that's because it is. And boohoo hoo HOO HOOOO cry about it. Go play IV if you want to run around like a cartoon and kill stupid cops for 15 minutes. GTAV doesn't need mindless cop killing to be fun. MickeyTheNinja
This! I feel like the online portion of GTA V alone will prove to be a better game on it's own than the entire game of GTA IV!

#23 Posted by vashkey (33718 posts) -

So far I prefer IV. I found the characters more likable in IV, I cared more about Niko. The shooting mechanics were improved and IV was just a lot more impressive, early in the console generation having such good graphics and being an open world game.

V doesn't really improve anything in any meaningful way. The characters special abilities feels like a weak way to try to convince the player the characters are different and they feel like out of place super powers and the rpg elements feel so insignificant I feel like they may as well not be there at all.

#24 Posted by ItsShane (78 posts) -

I personally found GTA IV to be dull and boring. GTA V has so much life to it and is just a lot more fun, in my opinion.

#25 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

I haven't played GTA5, but it has to be better than GTA4. That game was bland in every way except the social satire.

dominer

yeah i sure HOPE it's actually better  than 4.   That game had some messed up physics and an annoying cousin.....

#26 Posted by HilbillyRokstar (3236 posts) -

[QUOTE="dominer"]

yeah i sure HOPE it's actually better  than 4.   That game had some messed up physics and an annoying cousin.....

Talldude80

[QUOTE="dominer"]

Talldude80

No worries...it's a waaay better game, and so far we haven't even touched the best reason to buy it in the first place! Can't wait for the 1st!
#27 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

While there has been some improvements for 5 on things such as the shooting and driving, I personally prefer 4. Most things you can do in 5 you can also do in 4, and I also preferred the story and game worlds far more in 4. The story in 5 felt very disjointed and I felt the characters werent as good or likeable, and I felt that 4's game world is alot livelier than 5's. I've only had 5 for a few days and I'm already bored of it, whereas 4 kept me entertained for weeks, so 4 is the clear winner for me!

#28 Posted by Djmaster214 (3236 posts) -

The difficulty level and learning curve is very steep so far...

XboxGuy1537
i hope your being sarcastic im a few hours in and havent died on any mission (flying off motorcycles is a different story lol) gta4 i died alot due to those awful controls and the characters momentum (imo)
#29 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

bahahaha! funny joke. gta 4 was the most overrated and BORING game this gen 6/10

#30 Posted by Pyrex_Jay (1 posts) -

Let me put this out there first, I haven't completed GTAV yet but so far it's better then GTAIV. I feel like I can do more things outside of the Main Mission.

#31 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

I thought 5 was better in almost every aspect, whereas 4 tried too hard to be serious and realistic, 5 put the fun back into the GTA series. Franklin was 5's least interesting character but I still found him to be way more entertaining than Niko.

#32 Edited by sukraj (22089 posts) -

GTA5 seems a little difficult and a lot different from GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA 4. It isn't the same at all. If you're looking to start a rampage to gain a lot of stars then if you aren't careful the cops will shoot you dead right away. You used to run around and get lit up with bullets before you'd actually die. For these reasons it's difficult to have fun outside of missions. Just running around causing mayhem is not the same fun it once was. Blowing stuff up etc. It is so much different. I'm not sure about the story mode yet but I'm not in love with this game yet.

me chana prefer gta V imo.

#33 Edited by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

GTA IV had a much stronger story, and a much clearer more decisive political message other than "lets mock everybody just because we can". It also had the "wow factor" of being the first GTA entry early in the gen.

But GTA V is much better in all other aspects.

#34 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

i agree, definitely... just the fact that it takes forever to lose stars (sometimes up to a full 3 minutes while hiding)... and you die so easily. its practically impossible to start a rampage and build up 5 stars in game just because by 3 stars you have so many cops on you, and it only takes a few hits before you die.

it sucks a lot of fun out of the game, that is for sure.

#35 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

I would hope not, GTA IV was pretty awful

#36 Posted by sukraj (22089 posts) -

I would hope not, GTA IV was pretty awful

Yeah it was pure garbage.

#37 Posted by JasonMetz (9 posts) -

NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT

#38 Posted by zioms (13 posts) -

GTA V is better

#39 Posted by Mickeyminime (1119 posts) -

I love GTA5 single player but find it very very difficult to make money, let alone to understand how the exchange thing works. GTA5 online is not so good, although i haven't been on it much. GTA4 was a let down for me, GTA5 is a huge improvement, but GTA SA is still my number 1 game. GTA4 online was enjoyable though

#40 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

hell no

#41 Posted by sukraj (22089 posts) -

@dominer said:

So true I was so looking forward to playing GTA IV when it was released but when I played it the world felt so empty there was hardly anything to do in the game.

#42 Posted by Cpt_Amurrica (23 posts) -

Not at all, best yet in the series.

#43 Posted by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -

I hated GTA IV in all aspects of the game. I truly hated it. On the flip side, I love almost everything about GTA V. The difference in the way missions work and the different character arcs really make it worth playing. I think the main thing I hated about GTA IV was Roman and all the characters you meet at the beginning of the game that linger. I liked the Irish family, but really, not many more characters were worth liking.

#44 Posted by bumsonfire (225 posts) -

This is a hard question, I love gta and ive played gta for years. I just feel that Im more in my gaming home when I play GTA IV because of all of the good memories ive had on it, but GTA 5 is catching up for sure!

#45 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

anything is better than gta4. gta4 is easily the most overrated and overhyped game in gaming history. it flat out sucked.

yes gta5 is WAY better than gta4

#46 Posted by Link_2666 (4 posts) -

I've never quite figured out why GTA IV got as much hate as it did. The only real complaints I had about it were the annoying chase missions and the lackluster graphics. Aside from that, I found that its story had a lot of heart and the characters were pretty well developed. I haven't played much of GTA V as of yet, but from what I've seen it has a lot of imperfections and I've seen no heist missions in single player at all - not to mention the police; I know that the GTA games have never really been known for a realistic approach to the police forces, but in GTA V it seems just ridiculous...getting a wanted level for shooting a guy in the middle of the desert with a silenced pistol and no witnesses is a bit much. Aside from that, the graphics are amazing and weapon system is much better. As for which game is better, I'll be able to give a better judgement when I've beaten GTA V.

#47 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

@Sonny360Elite: GTA 5 was way better than GTA 4. It's just, the main campaign was much shorter. But GTA 4 had a lot of useless filler missions.

#48 Posted by jekyll (9140 posts) -

The only way GTA IV is better than V is the multiplayer, which is now a convoluted mess of Rockstar trying to force you to do the things they want you to do, rather than the simple way to easily do the things you wanted to do that IV was. For the campaign, neither is really hands-down better than the other.

#49 Edited by gameonbish (10 posts) -

GTA V was better, in terms of graphics n shit but ya gta IV had a better storyline in my opinion.

#50 Edited by riou7 (10832 posts) -

Nah GTAV is definitely way better than IV.