Any way to stop 'buy Xbox Gold' prompt on the One?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

An older couple I see at Starbucks every day have a One at home for their young grandson. They told me they keep getting a prompt to buy Gold. I told them I'd look for a way to shut it off, but can't find one. Does anyone know of a setting to stop this?

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2  Edited By Slannmage
Member since 2005 • 6986 Posts

Yeh you sell it on ebay and buy them a PC, a machine that can teach them something useful and you can buy games for mega cheap.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

@Slannmage: why is It PC gamers have this superiority complex, as if their better then console gamers. I once was a huge PC gamer, I've spent thousands upgrading my rig just for that one game. I've been there. But I've also spent plenty of time gaming on Xbox n playstation. Truth is home consoles are far easier and contain the best games. Yes PC will always be ahead of the gfx battle.

A home PC for grandparents is not the way to go. They are better off with a iPad or home consoled, then a PC that will constantly need user maintenance to keep running properly.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

@jekyll: tell them to buy live is the easiest thing to do. The Xbox one is crippled without a live gold account, you need it for almost everything.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

just buy the damn gold membership.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

get gold? $40 pretty much everywhere, Once Christmas pass back to $60

playing offline is NO fun!

tell them that!

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

xbox one is pretty much built around xbox live and xbox live gold... there is no point really paying that much money for the console to not pay that extra for live... as much as i hate paying extra money for things like usless dlc (the majority nowadays!), gold is just worth it as a service.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Shouldn't have bought an Xbox One if they have no intention on buying Xbox Live Gold.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jekyll

@adders99 said:

xbox one is pretty much built around xbox live and xbox live gold... there is no point really paying that much money for the console to not pay that extra for live... as much as i hate paying extra money for things like usless dlc (the majority nowadays!), gold is just worth it as a service.

Well, they're too old to know any of that, and their grandson is too young to care about playing online. They just want him to be able to play simple games without getting browbeat about Gold every time they turn the thing on.

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

@jekyll said:

@adders99 said:

Well, they're too old to know any of that, and their grandson is too young to care about playing online. They just want him to be able to play simple games without getting browbeat about Gold every time they turn the thing on.

well if he is too young then they should have just bought a 360 and used the plethora of games on that...

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

if the kid isn't old enough to play online, then they shouldn't have gotten the One. MS has made it clear that online gaming is their priority.

Dtree11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dtree11
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

@jekyll: I wonder if they are getting the message because they are connected to the internet through WiFi. Using Logic, I would expect that they would not get a message about gold if there was no internet connection.

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

jesus, they dont want a damn gold subscription and they obviously didnt wanna get a 360. out of all these posts i think dtree gave the only input that actually addresses the question the kid asked lol

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jekyll

@commandokock said:

jesus, they dont want a damn gold subscription and they obviously didnt wanna get a 360. out of all these posts i think dtree gave the only input that actually addresses the question the kid asked lol

I was hoping someone here had the same issue and disabled the notification, though I didn't think it was likely anyone bought it without (already) having Gold. They're just good grandparents who wanted to get the best for their grandson and got sold a One.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

They need to return it and get the kid a Wii U...the only current gen console for young kids IMO.